Free WP themes hidden code,,,

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Bill Manning profile image67
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

There are a lot of places today you can get free wordpress themes. However I have noticed many include an encrypted code in one of the pages.

Does anyone know why that is there? I want to use a cool theme I found from a popular site. The guy who makes them seems popular and his themes are great.

But in the header page I see a very long encrypted code in it. Frankly it really scares me. Does anyone know why some do that and what it's for? hmm

1. thisisoli profile image69
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They are usually in there to protect things like the footer links which contain the theme creators backlink and copyright.

Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I figured that was it. That's another thing about this theme. I know I'm suppose to keep those links in the footer, but one of them goes to a big online pharmacy. I HATE those! hmm

I suppose if I want to use it I have to keep those links in there however. Decisions decisions,,,,

1. sunforged profile image70
          sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you will also find flash based cookie stuffing scripts, scripts that overwrite afflinks , remnants of code from cracked premium themes that had callback functions, legitimate free themes with callback codes for tracking..etc.

I wouldnt assume the code is anything safe - if you dont know what it does, dont use it.

I only use paid for premium themes nowadays.

even your example sounds like someone  repurposed a theme, replaced the links to their pharma and then republished as a free template

Thanks sunforged. Yeah I'm not going to use it. I can't even add text in the footer, a great way to add keywords.

I will get one from the wordpress site or get a paid one. Thanks. smile

2. Bill Manning profile image67

So does anyone know of a good place to BUY sharp looking electronic themes? I'm going nuts looking at all the hundreds out there that always has something wrong with them. hmm

1. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Paid Themes

1.Thesis Theme - Diythemes.com (Paid Theme)
      2.Genesis theme - studiopress.com (my personal favorite) Paid Theme)
      3. headway themes - headwaytheme.com( Paid Theme)

Free Themes

1. hybrid theme framework
      2. Thematic framework
      3. K2 theme
      4. 2010 theme

Above 7 frameworks don't put any type of encrypted code inside your theme at all.

Thanks much skyfire, I appreciate it. I hope most can be configured to have a leaderboard adsense block in the top header.

It's strange how almost none have that yet it's the best configuration for adsense IMO. Thanks again! smile

3. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Well every wordpress theme can be configured to have an adsense block in that location by editing the header.php file

but Thesis and genesis make that edit easier w/o having to know php/html.

Havent used headway.

Many find that the header position is an adblind location - mimicking a HP adsense layout is close to the "general" best optimized layout - although the adsense block would be aligned left rather than right.

of course, with so many possible variables in how you may have formatted your page - whatever works best for you is the best option.

Oh I put adsense blocks in my content also, as well as adsense text links in the sidebar. I always put one in the middle of a post and the end, colors and background matching the content yet not trying to trick people.

Then I get one or two link type ads in the sidebars, again blending in to fit the theme but clearly showing they are adsense.

However for whatever reason, in a dozen different themes the big header ad always gets the most clicks in my personal experience. smile

4. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Check this blog postif you want to add adsense block to your theme, this tutorial will apply to almost every theme framework out there with some minor changes in shortcodes.

Hmmm, I get a 404. But it's ok, I know pretty much how to do it. Basically you just put the centered code in the header right before it calls for the content.

Depending on where you want it, if it has a top menu and so on. Thanks. smile

5. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

I guess that bookmarked post is now moved to another URL. sad What they explained in the tutorial is -

1. CSS positioning of Adsense using- div tag
    2. Creating adsense-post.php file with publisher code
    3. Linking adsense-post.php from functions.php on every single post

(This tutorial was for single page *in-content ad, so for sidebar and below content ads/footer ads you need to manually update the themes or use hooks plugin of that respective theme framework).

By the way header position ads cause ad blindness so either follow hubpages ad format (with only change of left column ads) or use text link/ad units inside content to make ads more effective.

Thanks again. Your the second person to tell me the header ad spot causes ad blindness. Yet I get the most clicks on my sites from my header one.

I do put the ads also in the content and sidebars. Are you saying that by not showing a header ad I will get more clicks on the other spots I put my ads?

1. skyfire profile image80
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you're using themes like thesis or genesis then header ads like 468x60 or 768x80 are likely to have ad blind effect. Not sure what type of ads and theme you're using but i tried header ads on genesis/thesis theme using amazon/adsense ads and got very few clicks.

My current working ad format is -

1. Below title(content-wrapped-left side) 330x250
        2. Below content 330x250 and 768x80)
        3. Sidebar (120x600 and 300x250)
        4. In-text link units

By the way, i'm not done with link-units(adsense) in header,which appear like stream of text links(without ad description) to users. I have to check how these links perform for over 3-6 month period before commenting.

I see, thanks for sharing. I use a plug-in called adman that put my ads anywhere I want them to be in my post.

Also a link block in my top right sidebar seems to work well also. smile

6. Bill Manning profile image67

Hey I have a quick question about buying Genesis. Normally you pick a theme and that's it. But if I buy the basic Genesis package, I don't see what theme I'm getting?

Do you get to pick one once you bought the program? Can you pick any style? I'm a bit lost there. Also is the basic package good for what I want, just one theme?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions! big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)