Is there something wrong or offensive with my hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)
  1. megs11237 profile image60
    megs11237posted 13 years ago

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is something wrong with this hub? The hubber number has gone up a couple and then back down to 50. This usually isn't the case with the stuff I write even when I wrote a rewrite of the Sarah Palin battle hymn. If there is something wrong I will fix it or maybe it seems offensive or promotional which wasn't my intention.

http://hubpages.com/hub/1-Simple-Way-to … ndergarten

Anyway, I have a 6 year old at home and this thing has really worked for us. It was meant as a suggestion since I have had such luck and fun with him when schoolwork and practicing has not seemed so fun previously.

What do you think? Should I change it, get rid of it, take some of it out?

I am fine with criticism and thankful for any help. smile

2. Darrke Thoughts profile image60
    Darrke Thoughtsposted 13 years ago

First of all, I don't see anything "wrong or offensive" in your hub. I've noticed some hubs/topics seem to take more time to gain hubscore than others... but I have no clue why yet.

How is your traffic?

I didn't like the title much. I don't think it would encourage me to click.  Probably the "1" instead of "10" simple ways.  It seems like an odd numbe to use.  I would probably try a how-to instead.

In general, the hub had good information but seemed to lack organization somehow.  I think letting it sit for a week and re-read and maybe revise it for clarity.  Subheads or bullet points somewhere would help.

The big thing though is the title promising 1 simple way, and then a meandering story before you get to the point.  I'd pick one of those two ways to talk about the subject and stick to it.

If it was me, I'd tend to go toward making the title match the text better... something like "How I Finally Got My Kindergartener Interested in Reading"  It would probably get more clicks/readers/traffic, plus it prepares the reader to hear what didn't work before they get to the secret of what did.

megs11237posted 13 years agoin reply to this

good point about the 1. I am not to good with organization with the thoughts yet but I am working on it. I thought it myself though.

Thank you and thank you.

2. kschang profile image88
      kschangposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agree with Darrke Thoughts... Your introduction feels longer than the actual "tip" or "way" itself.

I agree the story is cute. Maybe you can make a separate capsule for it, shove it to the right as an 'aside' box. (You can make a capsule and "right align" it for "incidental" information)

It seems that your "one way" was keep trying different books until you find the "niche" that s/he liked. And keep getting THAT series to keep him interested. So perhaps you should emphasize THAT.

Where did you get your books? Library? Other parents? Bookstore? Which bookstore have a good selection for toddlers? Do you order online? Any used bookstores you go to?

How do you gauge his/her interest in the book series?

What sort of games do you play? How do you provide positive feedback?

I changed the title and tried to organize it a little better. I will try to add some of these answers.

How do you right align a capsule?

1. kschang profile image88
          kschangposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Click on the "right arrow" which should be next to the "delete / save" buttons.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

There is nothing wrong or offensive, but you can organize it to read easier. I would consider changing the title also. I like the above suggestion or reworking the title you have. Also, it's a general rule to spell out numbers less than the number 10 when writing. The number 1 doesn't look right.

As far as organization, the intro needs to be strong and inviting. Online readers want immediate information as it pertains to the keywords that brought them to your hub. Make sure you're using your keywords in headings.

And one last point which is important in any kind of instructional or 'educational' type hub, is to make sure your spelling and grammar are perfect, or near perfect. You have spelling errors and a number of punctuation errors. It's those little details that will either keep a reader or have someone exit the page.

I did enjoy reading about your experience. Sometimes it takes the school environment to generate interest in reading. Dr. Seuss books are wonderful for beginners.

I see you changed the title, much better. You'll get it. smile

thanks smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)