Outbound Links TO Authority Sites

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. brandonhart100 profile image75
    brandonhart100posted 13 years ago

In the past, I've avoided placing outbound links from other sites or even hubs that are not my own.  My reasons for doing so are both obvious and selfish in nature.     

Since the recent algorithm change I've begun to provide my users with additional "sources".  In doing so, I'm hoping to add some credibility to the data I'm providing.  In turn, I'm hoping that Google adds credibility to my hubs as well. 

Is this foolish thinking or wise?

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you anchor and bold the links with some nice keywords you should be able to offset the small amount of traffic loss which is generally associated with a page leak. Consider setting the links to "open in a new browser window" wink

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have heard conflicting advice on link settings. What is the best policy, or web etiquette?

1. profile image0

If the link does not benefit me then I have it open on a new window, so that there is a chance that they return to my page again.

With links to my own content or through Amazon capsules, I open up in the same window smile

2. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Foolish or wise you certainly don't lose anything by linking to authority sites - so if you feel like doing it - just do it! smile

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wise, I think. If you look at the Flagship Hub criteria (set long before the algo change), they require 10 outgoing links to reference sites.  And I noticed that in the contests, having outgoing links was also one of the criteria.  So it's clear the  HubPages team have always considered them important, apparently because Google likes to see them.

I don't see any reason why that would have changed.  However I always put all the links in a links capsule right at the end of the Hub, headed either "Reference" or "Further Reading". That way Google can see them but the reader isn't going to until they've read all my Hub first.

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I'm not making any changes or writing any hubs until May 1st, at least. That way I'll know what Google is up to with my hub traffic. If I make changes I won't know who to blame or praise.

Adding quality outward links, shouldn't hurt your rankings. I don't know if it will help. But I do think if you're going to do it, you should do it right. Put them in the body of the text, where the reader will see them. Don't try to be cute and add them at the end. I think Google will sniff that one out in a heartbeat.

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with putting them in the body of the text. But if someone was to put links at the bottom for reference, that should be perfectly fine. Just about every article coming out of Demand Media, including eHow, has links at the end of the article pointing the reader to other sites that add to or backup the information, and they certainly were spared a smackdown. Same goes for Brighthub.

3. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I do it quite frequently and have been ever since I started here, and it hasn't hurt me at all. You just have to be careful who you link to.

I wouldn't link to another site -- no matter how authoritative -- that simply regurgitates pretty much what I'm talking about. I will link to niche pages/sites. So if I was writing about the poodles, I wouldn't link to the American Kennel Club's page on poodles, but when I mention grooming them, I might link to a site that talks about the various grooming tools.

I don't know if it helps with Google, but it certainly does round out an article for the readers.

4. profile image0

Perhaps there will be another smackdown for them. It wouldn't surprise me.

1. profile image0

That would suit me just fine, as an eHow and Suite101 smackdown will probably see me move up one place in the SERPS for dozens of search terms wink That is one of the possibilities that I have noted actually, in respect of a possible minor recovery. I can't see Hubpages being lifted back up in the short to medium term, but I can see others being bumped back down, which could effectively have the same result.

5. profile image0

I wouldn't be so sure of that. They could just add ehow to the penalty box and let smaller niche sites in.

6. profile image0

I always open a new page when it's an external link. Some consider that rude.

1. brandonhart100 profile image75
      brandonhart100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I too always add it to open link in a new page.  I also think it's fine to list your links at the end of a page as wikipedia.com does that with everything they write. 

Anyway, a few outbound links to authority sites is what I'm going to work on the next few days.  The truth is it might hurt in the long-run, but I know when I'm reading a site that lists credible sources it adds credibility to that page in my mind.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)