Who's to blame for the nfl lockout? The owners? Players? Or both?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

According to ESPN, the league claimed to have proposed a deal that deemed by them to be more than fair to the players, and far exceeded many of the players demands.  However, the players claim they don't mind taking a pay cut, but they want to look at the owners books to find out why it's necessary; which is something the owners don't want to do.  Therefore, who's to blame?  The players for not being more flexible?  Or the owner for not opening their books?  Or both?

1. Michael Willis profile image68
      Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would lean to placing more blame on the owners. Both are greedy-granted.
      But the owners refuse to show their books. What are they hiding? Why are they hiding their financial records?

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't disagree with you there.  Both parties are greedy, as I don't see what the owners have to hide.  I mean if they stand to lose millions and billions of dollars in potential profits due to this lock out, then it would only make sense they would try to do everything in their power to move things along.  Then again, maybe there's something in some of their books that some of them don't want their own players or other owners to see.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

What I find interesting though is that Roger Goodell did make a good point claiming that when the NBA fully disclosed their books to the players during their last lock out, it didn't help matters hardly at all.  However, to be fair, the players in the NBA seem to have more of a sense of entitlement than most athletes, in other sports.  whereas nfl players, many of them even said they're willing to compromise as long as the owners show them valid reasons for it in the books.

2. nathanashland profile image58
        nathanashlandposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep.  I would add that loyalty of the fan-base is a major factor (I am not implying that the fans are in anyway to blame).  Who of us, myself included, will not watch football in two years if the strike holds?  I'll watch college ball and UFL, but be right back in the NFL's lap whenever they start playing again.

The NFLPA and the owners know this, hence their willingness to risk 2011.

1. canadawest99 profile image61
          canadawest99posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't watch millionaires vs billionaires any more, in any sport.  This is not news.

2. profile image0
          Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

there's a lot of truth to that there.  i think these owners and players need to wake up and realize it's about the fans, and not them.  for if we were ever to wise up and boycott the nfl, then they'd be the ones in trouble.

1. Michael Willis profile image68
            Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The big "IF" we would. Bad part is we will watch again. But not another Scab Team like '87. I remember that season. It was horrible and I didn't watch all of it.
            The New breed of team owners (a.k.a. Jerry Jones and the like) see the NFL as a Business and they are the CEOs. Their mind set is that Profits are more important than the game, fans and players.

Both sides have good points in negotiations. I am all for the Rookie Wage scale the owners and some players want. It is necessary.

The retirement fund should get more from the league. I was surprised during my research into the issues at how little actually is placed aside for players retirement and disability. (Compared to their salaries)

One thing from the Hub I researched before writing was I learned a lot more about the issues than I ever did reading from the "Google thinks best" writers at top of ranking" search results. I had to go deep into pages to find a link that was not just another repeat of the exact same message.

2. Rogochuks profile image65
    Rogochuksposted 13 years ago

I would definitely classify the owners as being the primary factor to blame for the failure to reach an agreement. These NFL owners have long enjoyed the protection of congress in their exploitation of young men, and they have showed little interest in the plight of their stars beyond their glory days. I think that like the rest of the country is being asked to do, the NFL owners should display transparency in their accounting practises and share the loot with the players that do the dirty work.
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/4762149_f248.jpg

3. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

If there is blame to place, no matter the subject, blame it on Obama.

4. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

Its the owners by far, they want an 18 game season and the players don't. There keeping the books closed bcause the players wont play 18 games. If they both drop those 2 demands they should be able to work something else soon!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)