Block IP Ranges of Certain Countries or regions

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (20 posts)
  1. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

I know this may not be popular, but since HubPages is being hit with so much spam, possibly from certain countries, I suggest that HubPages block the IP ranges where many of these spammers reside.

Other sites have done it and it successfully dropped the amount of submitted garbage quite a bit. 

I would think that, as an English language site, where all of the readership is coming from primarily English-speaking countries, that we should look at doing this.

Google dramatically dropped HubPages international rankings, which directly affected how many views it receives internationally.  That's ok because much of the money probably comes from the bigger English-speaking markets anyway, right?

It's time to start blocking IPs for any further submissions.  They could look, but no more submissions (Hubs, Answers, Forums).

1. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

What spam is Hubpages being 'hit' with ?

This sounds more like a psychotic isolationism to me - unless I have missed ALL  the spam ???

2. Sufidreamer profile image78
      Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hope it isn't popular - it is a horrible idea. The witch hunt has already spread to ESL speakers - limiting who can post because of their geographical location is something that I can never agree with.

On HP, we have (had?) a great international community, with excellent writers from around the world. By your reasoning, we should apply a blanket ban according to nationality, taking away the spirit of HP as a site where people can share their views and perhaps earn a little money in the process. smile

With HP already in a state of panic and hysteria, with everyone jumping at shadows and looking for people to burn at the stake, this won't be helpful, IMO. It all smacks of the proverbial closing the stable door long after the horse has bolted.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

This type of action/response already happens here.

Ever see a post from someone who is trying to make their very first Hub, and they find they're prevented from doing so?  It's due to the IP assigned to them being associated with prior spamming action.

tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very good point.

3. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Agreed, Sufi. I'm not a big fan of allowing ESL writers who mangle the language so badly that their hubs are painful to read, but I would never want to see a ban on specific countries or ESL writers in general.

Hubpages is a very unique community, IMHO, due largely to the cross-section of people who write here from all over the globe. I've learned so much about other parts of the world and other cultures, that if they were banned, I would definitely leave.

1. Sufidreamer profile image78

Agreed - I don't intend to write any more Hubs on HP, but a country specific ban would see me stop participating completely.

Of course, this is all speculation - I don't really foresee it happening smile

4. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

It does concern me that very good English-speaking writers could be blocked, that happen to live in these areas of the world.

Looking at a lot of the Hubs and Questions that have been coming up, it does appear that they are coming out of a certain wedge-shaped country.

I know there are good writers from there.

However, there are millions of IPs and often an ISP will reallocate IPs eventually anyway.  We will always be chasing our tail.

That might be the case, but I bet that there are at least as many spammers with overly promotional hubs coming from the US (judging by my forays into hub hopping).

Perhaps we should block all Americans from registering on HP - it is obviously a nation of spammers wink

We should block all IPs except for one.

It would be on a lone computer in the middle of the playing field of a stadium.  The stands would be filled with moderators and other Hubbers critiquing it.

big_smile

lol

Sadly, I am pretty sure that someone would find a way to spam it big_smile

Doh!!

2. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The figures that came up for spammers in the recent China versus Google debate - was that, like arms sales, the USA originates more spam and malicious adware and spyware than the rest of the world combined.   Shutting someone elses's stable door after your horse has bolted is more than a little hypocritical doncha think ?

Well, this is a US-based business and it is in the interest of our horse to get to the trough.

Maybe the other horses just need to jump a hurdle or two before being through the door?

5. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I do not think this is a good idea, we have plenty of fantastic international writers from non-english speaking countries.

This would block a lot of spam, but there are way of checking for poor quality english automatically.

It's not working very well.

Just look through the Questions and Hubs.  Look at the Latest ones.

Probably 80% are garbage and nonsensical.

The Good writers could petition to be unblocked or have to jump through some extra hoops that would allow them to keep publishing.  The spammers would find the extra steps annoying.

There are automated tools out there that allow people to spam very quickly and HubPages is among the sites that are targeted.

It is costing all of us the search engine rankings and, thus, the traffic, which equals money.

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, surely this is what the HP team should be working on - providing a sort of spam filter that acts before publication, rather than blocking people by country.  And if someone's hub gets caught in the spam filter by mistake, they can always email the team to get their hub published.

I think prevention would be best.

It could be a two-pronged approach.
        1. Make it much more challenging/annoying for spammers to be able to Publish.  Slow down the process until they have reached a certain point.
        2. Get all of us involved in finding and reporting garbage.  Make the tools more helpful.  We should have HubHopping in a more obvious position, as I think many people don't know where to find it.  Give us reports and a gauge as to how we are progressing.

6. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Blame games, Foum trolls, Witch Hunt, Racism and now country specific ban ? *claps*

@Staff/Moderators, if you plan to implement this idea, please  give us some time to pull off content.

Would you rather HubPages and the rest of the "regulars" do nothing?

Google has brought the hammer down on HubPages, along with many other sites.

http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/110304-095114 

I think we have a LOT of garbage. 

We should have moderation of the Forum, Questions, and Hubs (as we already do, maybe just needing a bit more).

The problem is the sheer volume of it.

As we've been discussing above, perhaps the answer is to make it more of a pain in the *ss to Publish, when you first start out.  Make it friendly, but a slower process.

I think HubPages should still look at the IP addresses of the most prolific spam and take hard measures.  However, I would not want to see good writers from other countries leave.  I want to embrace the good writers from everywhere, if at all possible.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)