If Hub Views Fall In The Forest, Does Anyone Hear Them?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (38 posts)
  1. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
    DIYweddingplannerposted 13 years ago

My hub views have been dropping like a rock and I've got  writen a ton of new ones...discouraging!  And I'm only 1600 views from 10,000...now I'll never get there!  Has everyone else's views dropped horribly?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're not alone.  The Panda change in late Feb. shot down virtually everyone on HubPages.  We can only hope that the future will be better and continue promoting what we have and writing new content.

I was hoping to see 100,000 in the near future; now I can only hope for it by the end of the year if nothing changes.

2. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

I'm writing, I'm writing like nobody's business, but hoping it's not all for naught. sad

3. shogan profile image75
    shoganposted 13 years ago

I stopped writing, DIY (in fact, I've deleted several hubs).  The return isn't there right now.  It  might be in the future, and you may reap the benefits of continually cranking out the hubs, but I'm going to wait and see.  I'm with you on views: if I kept at the pace I was on in early February, I'd be at 20-25,000 by now.  As it is, I'm short of 10,000 and not sure if/when I'll ever get there. 

Considering the amount of time I spend on writing an article, a few Google hits isn't enough of a reward.  We'll see what the future brings though.  smile

DIYweddingplannerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Knew I hadn't seen you around, Shogan. This makes me so sad.   But this weekend a friend of mine are getting together to work on on our new blog site, so going to try to get some more irons in the fire. 

Glad this isn't my only job...

4. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I get less views that a fat man on a stripper pole

Greek One, you're such a perv. smile

5. Mutiny92 profile image66
    Mutiny92posted 13 years ago

I pretty much stopped writing here.  I love HP, but I think the current effort vs. income ratio is not ideal.  They are also in a state of flux as there appear to be new rules that haven't yet been published, but may be sporadically enforced.  I am quite certain that they are headed down the right track, though.  Bad hubs are being cleaned up, there appears to be a great focus on "quality" now, and the hub-review process seems to be more robust.

That said, right now, my time is better spent working on my own sites and broadening my portfolio with other sites.

I am sure HP will rebound and be better than ever!  When that happens, I will redouble my efforts here!

I love how you put that, Mutiny.  The work I'm putting in isn't  justified for pennies a day. sad

2. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

how easy it for novice to publish a website?  Do you need to know code?

1. Mutiny92 profile image66
        Mutiny92posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nah.  I recommend wordpress and a good theme.  My website uses TwentyTen, but I like Athualpa - that one is wonderfully customizable.

The content is the most important piece, IMHO.  Taking what you have learned about KW research, backlinking, etc here and applying it to your own website is a great feeling...plus you get to keep 100%  of the revenue, which is a fabulous feeling!

1. Greek One profile image64

iteresting,.. ty

Thanks for the advice.  What about blogspot?  Showing up a lot in search results.

I haven't used that, but I am sure it will work.  I think it is owned by Google though - and I am still in my acrimonious phase with our recent falling-out...

True, I will have to think on this awhile.

2. sunforged profile image71
            sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

your still at the mercy of another entity if you choose to use a blogspot blog over your own site.

If oyu plan on putting forth real effort and time, then its worth a sub $10 monthly price to completely control your site.

blogspot is good for throwaway and support sites, they rank just as well as anything else, I guess. No better than you would get out of your own wordpress site and just as easy to manage

Our thought is to put alot of our DIY's on this site as how to's, but also offer them for sale or order if people are too lazy to do it themselves!  So blog site, website, ...what to do...?

1. sunforged profile image71

If you are running a business.

You should immediately.

Purchase a domain
                Purchase Hosting

Install Wordpress

start building.

blogsite/website = really has no distinction anymore. Its just a way of organizing - traditionally a "website" is pretty static, while a blog is updated in a chronological order... that is no longer true.

Thanks, good advice.

3. TomC35 profile image61
            TomC35posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately if you have your own blog it will not be as easy to gain traffic as it was for people on here before Google made their changes.  You can get traffic.  Do not get me wrong.  It is hard though.  Just like what you have to do now to get traffic to individual hubs.  On the plus side if you do your own blog you have more creative control and get all the profits.

I agree with the quality though.  You have written tons, perhaps too much.  Slow down and proofread.  Do not contribute to the dumbing down of younger people by putting Hubs or blogs out there with poor spelling and grammar.

Tom, I thought the same thing until I actually did it.  My website is about 6 weeks old and I am getting more views to it each day than I am getting to my single best performing hubs (post-panda).  Better still, those articles on my website convert well, and now account for 30% of my amazon sales - all in about 45 days.  I can't wait to see what the next 45 days brings.

Excuse me, but this is the first time I've ever been accused of dumbing down anyone or anything.  I do try to review my hubs often and catch mistakes, but I imagine other hubbers do as well.

I guess we'll find out.  Tess45 and I are banding together.

6. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

I just reread my initial post.  Can you tell I wrote it at 12:20 p.m. last night after finishing two hubs?  smile

it was eloquent and succinct.. but then again I am illiterate so I really don’t know what you typed

7. DIYweddingplanner profile image76

It was like drunk dialing except with a keyboard!

reminds me of my time on HotGirlsFOrYou.com

:0

8. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

i don't understand why blogspot would be ranked better than Hubpages.. are they not pretty much similar??

The blogspot things I've seen ranked way up that I stumble across doing research are blogs that include DIY's I'm looking for, but some of them were posted two years ago!

2. sunforged profile image71

apples and oranges

there are tens of thousands of blogspot blogs, maybe even millions. They do no better or worse than hubpages.

I guess it depends on what you're searching for...and I'm just somewhat bummed right now, because things that were on page 1 last week this week are nowhere to be found.

1. sunforged profile image71

yes - it always depends on what you are searching for! But also on what you notice..  "23"

2. Greek One profile image64

is that no better and worse before AND after Google's recent changes?

Exactly my point, Greek One.  When i go look for page one hubs or rather hubs that USED to be page 1, in their place are blog style hubs.

9. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 13 years ago

See Y'all!I knew there had to be an up side to being in the back ground at HP!Nothins changed for me cause...nobody reads my stuff anyway!Ha!....Seriously though,the traffic will return,Because this site has some great writers.I should know,I follow quite a few brilliant hubbers who are still writing.Have faith and don't give up...please.

If you're writing just for the sake of writing, then yes, I can see it, but if you're killing yourself for four cents a day...hmmm...it does give one pause.  I'm not bailing, just exploring other options and following everyone's advice about not putting all my eggs in one basket!

10. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 13 years ago

DIY, I hope you get your 1600 views soon.. you're so close.  Good luck!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)