Shooting Bin Laden

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (27 posts)
  1. marwan asmar profile image65
    marwan asmarposted 12 years ago

The Americans went into the compound, and shot Bin Laden point plank under the noses of the Pakistanis. Is this a fair assessment?

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Marwan, yes, very fair. They intended to kill him, never capture I believe.
      From the statements made and released, I think it was a pre-determined conclusion they were going to do this.

2. Shil1978 profile image88
      Shil1978posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that's fair. They had good reason to not inform the Pakistanis. Apparently, the Pakistanis tipped Osama and the Taliban leadership about a prior attack ordered by Pres. Clinton, so this time around, they just didn't want to take a chance. I don't believe for a second that the Pakistanis were not aware of Osama being in that house.

The Pakistani ISI has been playing a double game with the Americans/allies since day one. Their ultimate aim is to install a friendly govt. in Afghanistan. The moment the Americans leave, they'd partner with the Taliban and Al-Qaeda remnants and work to destabilize the current Afghan Govt.

I am not sure what Obama can do about this, but it seems crazy to me that they are giving the Pakistanis high-tech military equipment and aid, when they are working to undermine US goals.

1. qwark profile image60
        qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Shil:
        Pls explain why the majority of we Americans say things like:
        "I am not sure what Obama can do about this,..."
        Obama doesn't make the decisions.
        There are 4 facets of American gov't to be considered in making final decisions i.e. the pres, the congress, the senate, the supreme court.
        Obama is just the titular head of country! He can suggest and veto but ways are available to "get around" his vetoes.
        It's bothersome that most of us Americans don't understand how gov't works and blame 1 man for our woes when in a Republic those who are voted into office, at all levels, govern!
        Vote smarter Americans! You are a scary lot!
        Qwark

1. Shil1978 profile image88

Well, let me clarify. I am not an Obama hater. What I meant was that the Pakistanis are a deceptive lot and aren't going to pursue American interests. On the contrary, they will try to sabotage American plans and put American lives at risk.

When I said that I meant what Obama and all the rest of the American govt. combined can do about this troublesome "ally" or foe rather? How are they going to make Pakistan fight the terrorists targeting the States and other European allies. It seems to me that the Pakistanis are only interested in fighting the elements that pose them a direct threat.

2. qwark profile image60

Hi Shil:
        Evidently you didn't read a prior post of mine.
        Here it is:
        "Pakistan needs the 7.5 billion dollars promised them over the next 5 yrs (our tax $'s hard at work.)
        Pakistan will give lip service to both its and our needs to satisfy everyone from everyside.
        Politics is controlled by money!
        People are expendable and replaceable!
        Why is that so hard to understand?
        The "game" is being played and the masses propagandized.
        The chess board is alive and all sides are dedicated to making the game look real to all watching and, importantly, nobody "loses face" in doing so...
        ...and the rich get richer!
        Qwark

I am aware of the $ being given to Pakistan in the name of "military aid" to fight the Taliban and Al-Qaeda, though I am sure all of these $ would end getting diverted to fund a future war with arch-enemy India. The "game" is being played by Pakistan. They know full well that the US can't stay in Afghanistan forever. They are biding their time and providing support to the Haqqani network and their likes to wage their war in Afghanistan.

Until and unless countries such as Pakistan are made to give up all kinds of support to all kinds of terrorist groups, the threat of another terrorist attack won't go away. It will just be a matter of time before the next big terrorist attack. Pakistan is a big problem and I am not sure the Obama Administration or any other that would come in the future know how to handle it.

Remember, this is a country with nuclear weapons and no one quite knows how secure these nuclear weapons are. So, how does one handle Pakistan and make them accountable and perhaps secure their nukes? How??

1. qwark profile image60

Shil:

Of course!

You just made my point! TY.

I'm looking at the "big picture," you are breaking it down to specifics.

You and I will never know what the under-the-table machinations are.

My mind collects trivia, categorizes it, fits all the pieces together and macro concepts appear.

I set the "trivia" aside for referrence.

I view the reality of human immaturity, its burgeoning ineptness and understand that as the world shrinks, in terms of human contact and activity, the more complex becomes the game of "oneupsmanship!"

As I said, it's a deadly, childish chess game that no one can win, but persuasive propaganda can be created that keeps the masses, TEMPORARILY, sated and controlled.

Now that Bin Laden had been eliminated "with prejudice," we shall see what effect his death will have on the game.

It's their move.

Qwark

2. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

I don't know what the truth is yet, but I do know that Pakistan is in trouble at home if they helped, and trouble abroad if they didn't. smile

Lol - they sure are in trouble either ways. Either the Americans managed to take advantage of blind spots in their radar/air defense network - the supposed 'stealth' helicopter might have helped as well - or the Pakistanis consented to the raid, but don't want to take credit for their involvement. I believe the former is the more likely scenario.

3. marwan asmar profile image65
    marwan asmarposted 12 years ago

In all honesty, it seems that they did know given the security cooperation between the two countries, and may even be in cahoots,but as you are implying the domestic imperatives mean they keep a low profile.

1. DTR0005 profile image59
      DTR0005posted 12 years agoin reply to this

What is the reaction in Jordan to this? Both governmental and popular reaction.

Jordon will morn Ben Lauden, then the radical element will march and burn flags etc... Get all latherd up, so to speak, I believe it is already happening some.

The Gov. in place there will allow it I think,  because it takes the emphasis off of rebelion against their  Dictatorial Regieme thats in place. Gives them a common enemy; the U.S.A..

2. marwan asmar profile image65
        marwan asmarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Its all quite on the eastern front. The government is agauinst terrorism of any kind; the people's mood is subdued esp concerning BL

2. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I see you get my drift. smile It is an almost impossible squeeze for Pakistan, as it is their people who will get hammered unless the current round of meetings can find a story that can be sold to the enemy within.

It's a lot easier to criticize when we don't have to wear the repercussions as Pakistan does in my view. smile

They have already lost thousands to the Taliban and other terrorist groups within their borders and don't need the screaming masses making up lies any more than we do. Hard to stop the American partisans from pretending to support Obama because it would be political suicide to do otherwise, then short sheeting him and Pakistan on the way through.

I think, guessing or at best betting on our congress and senate in the U.S,-  from looking at their past history.,  That the aid to Pakastan will remain in place, but I have to agree here, we need to get to the facts not the lies. There are real and innocent people there that will get hammerd either way in this mess.

4. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

I think they are all debating how his pet dog was able to walk him through the streets of Pakistan, San Diego and London, Without Any Body yikes

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/74693#post1620148

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

...wow!...I didn't realize...is that true?  yikes

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We didn't get a chance to ask the vet - but apparently he'd not seen him coming or going yikes

5. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 12 years ago

Pakistan needs the 7.5 billion dollars promised them over the next 5 yrs (our tax $'s hard at work.)
    Pakistan will give lip service to both its and our needs to satisfy everyone from everyside.
    Politics is controlled by money!
    People are expendable and replaceable!
    Why is that so hard to understand?
    The "game" is being played and the masses propagandized.
    The chess board is alive and all sides are dedicated to making the game look real to all watching and, importantly, nobody "loses face" in doing so...
    ...and the rich get richer!
    Qwark

1. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I admit the money is a motivation Qwark.
      I also admit that politics is a putrid business but there is still the truth that Pakistan will be evil to many regardless of which side they support.
      I don't think the truth will all come out until there are changes made in Pakistan.

Of course the best course of action would have been to stay out of Afghanistan and Iraq, then maybe none of this would have happened.

I agree, the rich get richer. smile

Halliburton got rich doing a fifth rate job of rebuilding what was recklessly blown up in Iraq.
      They destroyed a beautiful city and half the country .....all this to go after Suddam, one man.

1. qwark profile image60

Hi Earn:
        "I also admit that politics is a putrid business but there is still the truth that Pakistan will be evil to many regardless of which side they support.
        I don't think the truth will all come out until there are changes made in Pakistan."
        I agree with that.
        What are the chances that change will be realized?
        Zilch!
        As long as a 'bankrupt" nation keeps pledging money to any nation, they will "kiss ass."
        We are "fudging" a little on the 7.5 billion to Pakistan. We haven't sent them much yet.
        Russia went broke In Afghanistan. We're headed in the same direction.
        The game goes on!
        Qwark

2. dutchman1951 profile image60

you may have something here qwark, sounds like it exactly to me.

Power=money, everything else is fadder, including people

1. qwark profile image60

Dutchman:
        Yep!
        Qwark

6. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Some interesting ideas and good information in this thread. smile

7. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

It is interesting that our PM today started talking about his need for more dollars (currently 5mil) in his personal security budget. Apparently he has threats as a result of our troops in the Poppy Fields.  roll Top SAS Boys in their environment.
    Here comes the Stage Three Security rollouts I would say.  This Really is All BS..and they are slipping changes through under the smokescreen of Arab Uprisings etc.

8. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

Maybe now that Osama is dead they can go after the people in Saudi Arabia from where the 9/11 plot originated lol.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)