Obama denies disaster relief for Texas wildfires?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (23 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Why? He helped with the OK wildfires, which weren't nearly as damaging.

1. lady_love158 profile image59
      lady_love158posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Because TX isn't a state he'll win in the election so why waste resources on them? Every decision Obama makes is based on the politics of power.

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But he spent $ on Alabama, and I'm pretty sure he won't carry that state in 2012.

2. profile image56
      C.J. Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The request is initiated at the state level. I guess Texas hasn't reached that point?  Are you of the opinion that the fires are out of controll? That the state can't handle the situation? I don't know. I know the President is aware of the fires. He was just over there.

1. hottopics profile image61
        hottopicsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He has made numerous requsts but Obama is playing politics, just like he is doing in South Carolina. He and the Dems are against a boing plant to be built. If it was NY or North Carolina, states he knows he can win, not only would he support it, he would give them Gov. money to build it.  Its good to be the king

1. profile image56

Ah...didn't catch that part. I did see that the Fed just gave Texas 2 Million to film children eating lunch though.....that's got to be productive! NOT!!! We are soooo screwed!

1. profile image0
            Texasbetaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Rick Perry routinely tells Texas that we don't need the government, we want to secede, no government funding for schools, no government funding for anything except oil company tax subsidies...that is until we have some fires. How about Texas not spend $250 million to bring in Formula One racing, while laying off 100,000 teachers, quit giving tax dollars to corporate donors and spend some of it on our "worst in the nation" school systems and emergency management.

3. Donna Suthard profile image60
      Donna Suthardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I live in Texas, and I've wondered why he has refused aid to Texas as well!
      Maybe he's discriminating against Texans..

2. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

The gvr of Texas-- Rick Perry, has made it quite clear that he wants NOTHING to do with the federal gvt.
    He wants to secede.
    EVERYBODY cheers him.

Now--they want the feds? Quite funny isn't it?

They spit on something until they need it.

1. habee profile image93

LMC, the black Muslim in the WH thing is a hoax.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/whitehouse.asp

As for Texas, I don't think innocent people should have to suffer because of Perry! And I'm pretty sure that Texas citizens send money to the IRS.

1. dingdondingdon profile image60
        dingdondingdonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If it is indeed true that relief is being denied to Texas at all (I haven't read up on the issue yet) then I'm sort of inclined to agree, to be honest. Rick Perry may be an idiot, but Texans are still Americans, and if they need help they should get it.

lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, then those "innocent" citizens should vote Perry out!

This is a prime example of what the gvt is good for!

We ALL agree to pay, so people in need can get help!

And I don't know this issue, but I would say Perry should be fired, since he can't put his money where his mouth is...

He said he didn't need the federal gvt....and?

1. habee profile image93

LMC, I'm not one of those far-right conservatives or libertarians who don't believe in government programs or aid. If we can send $ to foreign nations to help them, we should be able to send $ to one of our own states.

1. lovemychris profile image76

Well habee--this should be an eye-opener.....

This is what people will get who hate the gvt and want to get out of it...

They will be on their own...so let's see them put their money where their mouths are!

Let's see the private sector step up and handle this disaster.

1. lady_love158 profile image59
              lady_love158posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Did you see AZ is going to build their own border fence?

http://politics.gather.com/viewArticle. … 4979306972

Doing the work the feds wont do! But then this is how its supposed to be. The federal government shouldn't be called upon for every disaster.  Irs not the role of the feds nor is it in the constitution. That's just another way the government has grown beyond their enumerated powers and why they spend so much. Now let's make thus practice the norm and be consistent.

1. profile image56

TA DA!!!! FEMA HAS NO REASON TO EXIST. It should be abolished as a Division of the Federal Government. It should only be a line item in the Federal Budget. That way the FED can help out with money when needed. The "when needed" needs to be scrutinized heavily.

2. profile image0
                Texasbetaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

spam

2. hottopics profile image61

Chris,
          Perry has put his money where his mouth is. He has proved he does not need the Gov. Perry is well supported and like. He fights hard for Texas. If you do not live here you would not know that.
          Texas, like most states, has incurred a budget deficit. Until now, Texas had weathered the Great Recession fairly well, buffered by its vast oil and gas industries. It avoided the housing industry meltdown and its unemployment rate is below the national level. It also benefited from having a two-year budget cycle so officials have not had to craft a spending plan since 2009. There are several reasons for this. Obama has cut over 15 billion to the State.  One reason for the harsh cuts is the end of federal stimulus funds for the states. Texas had included $6.4 billion in stimulus money during its most recent 2010-11 budget. The new spending plan does not replace these funds with state money. Funny how Dem states are still receiving these funds in the new budget.  In addition, despite that there has been no trimming or attention given to Medicare, Obama made huge cuts that contributed to the deficit and has hospitals scrambling to avoid more loses. 
          Texas has just approved its new budget for the next 2 years. Perry has cut the budget to completely overcome the deficit. To bad Obama could not do that

1. hottopics profile image61

By the way, Texas does not have ane income tax on its residents. The dems answer to the budget shortfall was to create a state income tax. I think Perrys way was better

Wait a minute!!

I thought Perry turned down money from the stimulus??.....that's what I remember!

He said he didn't want it, and other states said they would take it.

Why is he now going to come asking?

2. Donna Suthard profile image60
      Donna Suthardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Rick Perry doesn't speak for everyone!

3. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago
  4. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

"Too bad Obama could not do that"

They tried...but your Repubs just HAD to have that tax cut that adds to it.
    HAD to include oil subsidies that add to it.
    Refuse to cut any defense...which adds to it.

Dems have tried plenty to cut...it's blocked by repubs special interests too, you know.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)