GIVE YOUR HUB A UNIQUE URL WEB ADDRESS

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (23 posts)
  1. profile image57
    Teeboy1posted 13 years ago

I am trying to publish my first hub on here. But i have got a little problem. There was a box that reads give your hub a unique url web address. Please how do i go about it. I dont want to mess up everything. I kinda need help.

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Generally, it does it automatically. When it doesn't, it means that the name you have given your article has already been taken by someone else. That does not mean you can't use the same name for your article. It just means you can't have the same URL address.

So, type in something similar with dashes separating the words.

Remember that the search engine uses the URL title to help search for your article so chose well!

2. simeonvisser profile image69
      simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can't really mess it up, don't worry. If you type a title of your hub, HubPages will already create a URL for your hub. If that URL is already taken, it will inform you and you need to choose a different one. But other than that, just focus on writing hubs and naming your hub. When you are more familiar with writing on HubPages you can learn about the differences between titles and URLs in more detail.

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I disagree. URLs are supposedly important for search engines, so may as well learn it now - especially since URLs cannot be altered. I personally use the automated feature every time, but SEO is not a priority for me.

1. simeonvisser profile image69

But then you might as well learn about keywords before you even think of naming your hub. Learning is more effective when you're not overwhelmed with new information. From what I can see, this person needs help with the HubPages platform, not with creating optimal content (yet). It's better to do something rather than being hindered by too much knowledge. Your first few hubs might not have the best URL but at least you published them and you know more than when you started smile

1. profile image0

Irohner has suggested an approach that makes good sense to me. A broad, relatively short URL; a longer title (which subsequently may be altered). Then, if the title changes, the URL will still be descriptive.

Yes, that is very useful advice.

3. Gloshei profile image59
      Glosheiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Teeboy1,
      I was  also going to try and do my first Hub today, and got confused on the web address. I still don't quite get it but will just leave it blank and hopr for the best.
      Good luck,
      Gloshei

In case of doubt, leave it field as it is. You now have a hub with the title
        "Black Banana Cake" but the URL of that hub does not reflect that: http://hubpages.com/hub/Banana_s . Next time it is better to either leave the URL field as it is (HubPages fills it in automatically) or come up with an URL yourself if you know what you are doing.

1. Gloshei profile image59
          Glosheiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Simeonvisser,
          Is there anyway I can delete the URL or just leave it like you say?
          I am not even sure I went about it the right way! but hey ho it will come with practise. Bur any advise out there would be appreciated.
          Once again thanks for the visit.
          Gloshei

2. profile image50
          sanwangmoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks

3. profile image50
          sanwangmoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

thanks

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

If you type in a unique title, the editor will automatically generate a unique URL for you.

If you want to type in one manually, as Sophia Angelique has suggested is possible, do not type in the prefix ("http://hubpages.com/hub/"), only the subsequent part of your URL.

3. profile image57
    Teeboy1posted 13 years ago

Thanks guys for all the tip. I think am gonna go for the key word thing first then the url thing. Thanks

4. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

The only way you can delete the url is to delete the hub and rewrite it with a new url - or even just copy/paste the contents over.

But if I was you, I wouldn't bother.

The keywords 'black banana cake' is not searched for, nor has advertiser interest.

Still, it makes for a nice first hub (if a little short) and you are already #10 in google!

5. profile image52
    AllyEmposted 13 years ago

Hi there, and thanx for all the helpful replies on this. 
    Maybe you can advise me too: my third hub has the same url as my second... a bit confusing.  Yet the title is clear: Beginners' Business Ideas with Low Investment. I even went in and edited it, in the hopes that the url would change... no luck.
    Both hubs now have the same hub-url. Um! That can't be right...?
    Ali

1. profile image0

It cannot be right, and they do not. One hub has a double dash ("--") in the URL where the other has only a single dash ("-").

1. profile image52
        AllyEmposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you're right.  The double-dash is the only part that differentiates it. 
        The words, however, are exactly the same; yet my titles are different. 
        How come? 
        More importantly, how do I change the 3rd hub's url to reflect it's title?
        thanks...

1. profile image0

No two hubs can have exactly the same title or URL. Seems to me that you have edited one of the two titles after the URL was created. A URL cannot subsequently be changed; only titles can be altered after the hub was created.

1. profile image52

Ok, thanks, I might indeed have done that - won't do it again!
            (Live and learn... lol)
            If a url cannot be changed, would one solution then be to delete the 3rd hub with the confusing title, and submit it again, this time with matching title and url?
            Ali

1. profile image0

You are welcome. Of course, you can delete the hub and create a new one with matching title and URL. However, I think that the shorter URL is descriptive for your title, which in turn you have the option to tweak in the future. A broad, relatively short URL plus a longer (editable) title is not a bad combination. I wouldn't change a thing, if I were you.

1. profile image52

Sure and that sounds good, but when both urls are:
                Get clear about your best home-based business (that's long),
                and one article's title and content is the above and the other's title is:
                Beginners' business ideas with low investment;
                I'm at a loss to see how the first url relates to the second title and article.

I think I'll delete and re-submit and be glad I have the option - EzineArticles don't allow it.  Will be so great when I'm past this learning curve of optimising titles etc!

Thanks for your prompt and friendly help!

1. profile image0

I see, but you were talking about deleting your "third hub," so I thought you meant the one about Flu Virus, where the title and URL are also a bit different.

Almost identical URLs do not constitute a problem in themselves, but if you find the URL non-descriptive of the contents, the best option may be to delete and start over. Alas, the shorter and broader URLs may be a good choice for people inclined to tweak titles. Good luck!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)