Which sport has the best all-round athletes?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (27 posts)
  1. rcrm89 profile image65
    rcrm89posted 12 years ago

Excluding darts (big_smile) and multi-event sports like heptathlon/decathlon.

I would say rugby.

1. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

....rugby and pro tennis!
      Tennis takes incredible endurance, eye hand coordination, quick thinking and response. Try playing tennis on a hot day for 5 hours non-stop!
      Rugby? These guys are big,strong, have incredible endurance and play without any body protection! They tackle and smash into each other on a full run and they don't do substitutions unless a player is hurt and can't continue.
      Every man plays the whole game running!
      It puts American football to shame.
      Those are my choices.
      I love the fighters in the UFC, but they are proof that man has about as much athletic ability as "cattle."
      Qwark

2. pixmafia profile image47
      pixmafiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would say the triathlon athletes are the complete alrounders, who else has to swim, cycle and do a marathon all in one race?

1. Castlepaloma profile image77
        Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is a strong one

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Swimming, snow skiing (particularly nordic as it requires greater upper body development) and mountain climbing all come to mind.

They are all open to women as well, which helps in the concept of all-round athletes.

3. shogan profile image75
    shoganposted 12 years ago

"All around" is tough.  Soccer players are in amazing shape, but they aren't necessarily going to do well in other sports.

4. Rob Winters profile image76
    Rob Wintersposted 12 years ago

Rugby - Got to have speed, skill, power, strength and endurance as well as good helping of grit. Some positions have more or less of each quality but certain positions such as centre or wing  pretty much got to have them all covered.

1. profile image0
      Texasbetaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't say that. Rugby has brawlers, quick for sure. However, an NFL outside linebacker will squash any Rugby player on the planet in any measure. Swimming is something you do as an instinct to not drown, and skiing is riding on wood down a mountain. That is a skill for sure, but a measure of an athlete? NFL players and soccer players I would say are the greatest athletes...though mountain climbers are mean. That is SO difficult.

I was tops in a few sports, I must say for all round, water polo required a lot of different skills and endurance

2. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Soccer players are speedy and run around a lot but no upper body strength and although they must have a good set lungs they do all their work at low altitudes (never crossing 10,000 feet) and thus don't have to be THAT good there, either.

NFL players just a bunch of overweight flabby slugs that stand around and actually play only a few seconds out of every few minutes.  Worthless for anything but weight lifting.

Funny how sports you don't enjoy or participate in have only wimps for athletes isn't it? lol

Seriously, I would probably go with competitive swimmers.  Great upper and lower body strength both (although mostly in the long stringy muscle tissue for endurance not outright strength).  Tremendous lung and heart capacity, with probably the best ability to use oxygen of any athlete.  No fat allowed; it interferes with movement through the water.  Perhaps not much for balance (skiers and gymnasts) or reaction time (fencing maybe) but superior everywhere else.

1. profile image0
          Texasbetaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hurl 265 lbs of pure muscle, hardly any body fat (i.e. Julius Peppers), at 6'8", at 4.2 forty speed, with perfect technique in leveraging body weight against another larger and just as fast athlete, around the tackle and to the quarterback before he pulls back a shotgun arm motion. My best friend has repped some of those players, and you are far from the truth. This isn't swimming in a pool with goggles..this is absolute war with the most powerful and speedy athletes on the planet. Soccer players are as speedy and in shape as anyone, but have them avoid 12 semis going around the field at 40 mph for 60 minutes.
          If you want true endurance, try MMA, not swimming.

5. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

surfing

6. dutchman1951 profile image60
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

Basketball, possibly Hockey, but basketball I think

7. LakeShow T profile image75
    LakeShow Tposted 12 years ago

Basketball with all of the non-stop action, running and high-flying. If you're a male or female in average-to-good physical condition just try going all out on both ends of the basketball court for a couple of minutes. You'll gain one heck of a respect and admiration for the phenomenal condition NBA players are in. Not only that, but many of these guys can either jump 35-45 inches in the air or are 7'0'' tall and are able to hold there own.

8. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 12 years ago

MMA, boxing, certain football positions (and particularly defensive positions, as they need to be fast and powerful enough to hit someone hard), and let's not forget about tennis players. They have to have endurance, agility, and upper body strength as well. I know the tennis players in high school were usually geeks (at least at my school), but at the pro level those guys are absolute beasts.

9. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

all around I'd say mma guys they have strength stamina speed quickness. Linebackers would fit into this as well since many players are doing mma training to help there all around games.
    water polo and soccer have stamina and thats it, basketball I would put a little above that. basketball players arent really that strong they use leverage and quickness

optimus
      water polo have stamina and thats it,

You have not played serious water polo

1. You got wrestling and some martial art  under water
      2. You throw the ball around like a basket ball player
      3. You swim more than swimmer
      4. You lift yourself out of the water like a Synchronized swimmer

And more

10. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

I'd say gymnasts.

11. Richard83 profile image69
    Richard83posted 12 years ago

It has to be football.

12. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

wrestling and martial arts under water your arguements has just ended. Nothin like under water tae qwan do or ju jitsu!!!! lol

13. Chris Fry profile image60
    Chris Fryposted 12 years ago

This is ridiculous, to compare one athlete from sport x with an athlete from sport y is to compare apples and oranges - it is not like for like. Each athlete is trained to achieve success within that sport, sure there overlaps of fitness components, but essentially comparisons are hard to make.

True, when people are world class in each of their sports. The cross over generally would be weaker broken down.

In my own personal experience even with my world class in amateur wresting background and some martial arts. I got punched, kicked and wrestled to the point were water polo was a much tougher sport for me.
      I think mainly the public and ref's cannot see well what happens under water.

Like grabbing two balls and then drowning

14. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 12 years ago

Regardless of the sport, we humans, as I said before, are about as athletic as cattle.

We didn't evolve because we had muscle tooth and claw!

We are the earths greatest "mind" athletes!

The question wasn't what's the best sport.

He asked which sport has the best all-around athletes.

Of course ya can compare the athleticism needed by players in any sport against those of others, relative to his question.

The best human athletes are going to be strong, durable, have incredible endurance, eye and hand coordination, and a natural genetic talent for the sport.

I'll stick with rugby and tennis.

But we're not, genetically, an athletic species...nope!

Qwark

15. Chris Fry profile image60
    Chris Fryposted 12 years ago

I'd argue we are incredibly athletic - the adaptations to given stimuli, be it changes in muscle fibre and enzymes to long distance running or  hypertrophy and increased neural activity following strength training are, at the elite level, phenomenal, and the ability to repeat a certain movement pattern, a tennis serve or a football shot, with consistent accuracy/timing/etc is remarkable.

It is more rare today, than in my athletic days to even cross over from one sport into another sport, Like Clara Huges from Canada won medals in Ice skating in the winter and a medaled in bikes in the summer championships, no one esle has done it that well.

One sport is like a full time job to master alone , over one hit of acid I refocus my sport ego and turn it all over to the Art profession.

16. Ign Andy profile image57
    Ign Andyposted 12 years ago

Badminton? It looks simple but pro badminton athletes require endurance, reflex, coordination, on site strategy.

17. American View profile image61
    American Viewposted 12 years ago

Hockey

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)