jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (19 posts)

Which sport has the toughest athletes?

1. Bruce A. Beaudet profile image85
    Bruce A. Beaudetposted 5 years ago

Which sport has the toughest athletes?

I say professional bull riders are the toughest.

2. Goody5 profile image77
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

They are all tough, but I would have to go with NFL football players, who take a repeated beating both on offense & defense.

3. profile image0
    il Scetticoposted 5 years ago

This depends on how you say "tough."  UFC Fighters and NFL Stars are the most obviously tough, but there is also the extreme endurance required for sports like swimming and cross country, extreme strength or flexibility for weight lifting or gymnastics, and so forth.

Personally I'd say the toughest athletes are mountaineers.  They not only put up with huge muscle stress, but much punishment from the elements, they're far away from medical help, and their sport is the most applicable and practical for real life.

4. Dantex460 profile image59
    Dantex460posted 5 years ago

I would say rugby they don't need the armour stuff American rugby has.

Bruce A. Beaudetposted 4 years agoin reply to this

American football uses their armour as weapons.

5. Express10 profile image89
    Express10posted 5 years ago

Bull riders are tough but as a figure skater I have to say we are. We have to build and maintain the stamina of Olympic sprinters (even when NOT competing in the Olympics), we have to hurl our bodies off the ice and we land at forces of up to 8 or 9 times our body weight. In addition, we have to work on flexibility off the ice and do strength training off ice as well. There are some 100 lb skaters that can lift two or almost three times their body weight!

ON the ice we have to make speeding around at 20 - 25 mph look like a walk in the park and we have to spin without traveling off center. This is not to mention cutting yourself (or others) with your blades, taking headers, shoulders, back, knees, and butt to the ice as well. To get to the point of making all this look easy, our bruises or pains suffered from HUNDREDS or THOUSANDS of falls might not be easily seen because we love what we do and we try to show it through our artistry and enthusiasm.

Bruce A. Beaudetposted 5 years agoin reply to this

While I have a new appreciation for the rigors of figure skating I am inclined to think that bull riders are still the toughest.  They ride with broken bones which are often caused by the bull stomping on them.

6. ud1093 profile image51
    ud1093posted 4 years ago

Ice hockey requires a lot of musclepower

I love it when TV commentators say a player is going in for "repairs."   25 stitches is considered a repair LOL.  Hockey players are tough!

7. petenali profile image88
    petenaliposted 4 years ago

Gotta agree with Dantex460 on this one.  Rugby players a tough and never whine.  They connect Ina physically brutal game with no padding and simply shrug it off when they get hurt.  There are numerous pictures/videos of rugby players covered in blood simply carrying on doing what they do.  Kudos to all the rugby players out there!

8. Tim Quam profile image62
    Tim Quamposted 4 years ago

I like the NBA players.  Unlike baseball and football there's very few overweight athletes in basketball, yet there's plenty of contact.  You have people with no protection, neither body fat nor man-made padding.

Yes,  a lot of big guys going at it.  My only criticism of the NBA is the guys complain and flop too much.  Hard to be a tough guy when the wind blows you over. wink

9. Bryan Petersen profile image56
    Bryan Petersenposted 4 years ago

In terms of raw "toughness" I'd say Mixed Martial Artists, Rugy or NFL players would take it hands down. But when you start throwing in the endurance of soccer players/iron man athletes have, it becomes a much more complex question to answer!

Patrice Bergeron,of the Boston Bruins played game 6 of the NHL's Stanley Cup Finals with broken ribs, torn cartilage, a separated shoulder, and a punctured lung.  I can't put "soccer" and "tough" in the same sentence.

10. residentstone profile image60
    residentstoneposted 4 years ago

I'd say MMA fighters. Balls out fighting for 15 minutes, 25 minutes for a champinship match. Ever get in a fight? After about 2 minutes you're about to puke your innards out.

The old Pride Grand Prix's you'd fight 2-3-4 times in one night.

2 minutes?  How about 30 seconds LOL. wink

11. chinmayXdas profile image83
    chinmayXdasposted 4 years ago

Though I have never witnessed a rugby match, I feel the monstrous size of these people may be an estimate of how strong these giants are.

They are tough guys with gigantic strength!

2. ryan-cd profile image68
      ryan-cdposted 12 months agoin reply to this

You need to watch a Rugby match at some point, in fact if you haven't in the last 3 years watch one this weekend, you will no doubt enjoy it, and if you do you can start your own team and show the world how much of a real man you are.

working