Google facing US antitrust probe - reports

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (25 posts)
  1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

Although I use and like many of Google's products, it certainly makes me uneasy how powerful Google has become and the panda update really brought that home, so I am not surprised that some companies are taking legal action against them!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13899197

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I think this is a real shame for Google.  It is a grossly unfair manipulation of the law in order for bent senators to get some backhanders from Bing and Facebook.  Google needs our support - they ARE the internet.

I would write a hub about it but as I GET NO GOOGLE TRAFFIC AT ALL...

.. I won't bother.

1. tehgyb profile image83
      tehgybposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree to an extent. However google's projects are so far spread, they would actually benefit by splitting into multiple companies, in my opinion.
      They have their operating system (android), their search engine, maps, earth, gmail, omg the list is endless ;P

2. bgamall profile image66
      bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you get no google traffic and yet you have a 96, with quality hubs, that is the fault of Google and not you.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not necessarily.  The 96 score means nothing at all to google, and rightly so.

Even quality hubs can be overshadowed by numerous other quality writings.

Even quality hubs will not get traffic if no one is looking for them OR if the keywords used are not what is being searched for.

Having said that, it seems very obvious that Google has made a major "mistake" in their algorithm in that many many hubs that were popular with searchers and received organic backlinks as a result are no longer rated highly.  And that IS the fault of google.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I got virtually no traffic before Panda.  I am rubbish at keywords but a bit better at fart jokes.

1. Greg Sage profile image40
          Greg Sageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think you've found your long-tail keyword domination prospect, my friend.

Whatever you do in life, do it well.

Become the KING of "fart jokes."

3. 2besure profile image79
      2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is said that nature hates a void.  If Google disappears, someone will raise to take their place.  Google is not the internet God.  It only feels that way.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I think our "grand poo bah" Paul E. made some very relevant points about this whole thing a few months ago on another website.  How could it be legal for Google to weild such power, punish sites like this one, and give props to sites that it owns like youtube and blogger at the same time?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It may be that HP weren't actually punished but they had their support taken away - that extra love juice that hubs used to get.  Puts a different spin on it.

This may be the new normal.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True.

I'm trying new strategies.  I'm focusing on building "authority" in the niche's that have seemed to do the best for me.

I'm not so certain that we'd be game for the fellow above's theory about breaking the beast into different parts - there's no way we could know how that would affect us.

2. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As you are aware, just go hub hopping a few times.  You will very quickly come to the conclusion that your post is most likely accurate.

Hopefully the work by HP moderators will provide some help here.  I know they're working hard at it.

2. Greg Sage profile image40

If you own a parts store, and you own a garage, should it be illegal for your parts store to refer people to your garage? 

If one wants to make the larger argument that beyond a certain point, sector domination can reach an extent where it is a detriment to our society... and that in EXTREMELY RARE cases it might be needed to intervene for the mere sake of allowing competition within a field for the benefit of the business sector, the consumers, and society in general, then there might be validity.

As for the rest, though, I really doubt people want to live in a world where the government develops trillions of dollars of beurocracy simply to oversee it's stepping in every time someone does the common sense action of referring business to their brother up the road.

Frankly, by that same logic, it ought to be illegal for you to link to a website you own.  It's no different... only in scale. 

Frankly, I find it a bit shocking they're as fair as they are.  Most people running a thing like that would've made it much tougher to find competition than they do.  Google Bing or Yahoo... there it is.  Fist hit.  It's frankly amazing that they don't just give all their properties an automatic number one spot in every search.

I mean come on, honestly, who's NOT going to refer business to their brother's shop up the road?  How is this even perceived as "illegal?"

From what I can tell about Panda, it really doesn't even seem to have been about pushing their properties at all... more like trying to react to an onslaught of spammers and crap-filled content farms that were skewing results horribly.  Frankly, I've been wondering what the heck is WRONG with google the past few years as MOST of my hits are spammy crap.  Better question might be what's taking them so long to take these and more measures.  Maybe I'm missing something there, but that's certainly what it looks like.

PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Monopolies are the enemy of free and fair trade.  If you aren't prepared to regulate against them, you might as well kiss goodbye to the capitalist system.

1. Greg Sage profile image40

I completely agree.

True monopolies only happen BECAUSE of government regulation, however.

Google is nowhere near a true monopoly.  My local gangster-owned trash collection outfit is... as per government regulation.

I'm no extremist.

I can see that in EXTREMELY RARE cases, even a fair playing field can become so skewed by a dominant competitor that it becomes necessary to step in.

This is an incredibly serious thing, however, and each time it is done creates a severe danger of government overstepping it's bounds.  People seem to forget the enormous sums that are eaten up by govt. beruo-lawyers in these sorts of thing.  They'd love nothing more than to make hundreds of millions going after one company then another.  Those who study history realize that governments almost NEVER give up powers they absorb.  Those who want to break things up in washington are not doing it for public good, but for personal profit.

That being said, there are cases where it is necessary.

1. bgamall profile image66
            bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't buy that. Many companies through history just became monopolies because they were successful. They have to be controlled at that point Google has too much power in search, plain and simple.

PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, monopolies will occur naturally if the market is completely unregulated.  Companies can then become so big they can beat new competitors by underhand tactics, such making products at a loss for a period of time in order to wipe out the opposition.  Governments and state instituations are the only tool that can effectively prevent monopolies from forming, by breaking up larger companies, regulating business practices, and encouraging competition and innovation.

4. tehgyb profile image83
    tehgybposted 12 years ago

You're absolutely right, and google should be forced to split into multiple companies for the multitude of services. Just like microsoft was back in the day.
    Everyone's facing legal actions, everyone's suing everyone right now. Apple's suing samsung for supposed copyright infringement... whats with that!? "Hey lets sue the people that make all the chips in every single one of our products! big_smile" lol

5. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

I've thought this would be coming.  I did write a post on Techcrunch about competition and open publishing platforms.  I have strong feelings that open publishing needs to be protected.  I also feel that Google shouldn't be able to force people to use their platforms by punishing competitors.  I'm hoping we get an opportunity to talk to the FTC.

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Thanks Paul.  I thought you did an outstanding job on Techcrunch.  I only couldn't recall the name of the site!

I also agree that by punishing competitors - that that is exactly what is happening, encouraging, or forcing "us" to use their products and services instead of this site, or any other site similar to this one.

Of course I very much appreciate your efforts, and very much enjoy the platform that you've provided here.

7. swedal profile image63
    swedalposted 12 years ago

Several years late but Google is way to big and needs to get broken up in teeny tiny little parts.

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I think this could be reversed and be equally, if not more, true - those who create or attempt to create a monopoly are not doing it for public good, but for personal profit.

ESPN? It basically has no competitors.
    Monsanto? They just about rule the world.
    Google? Their closest competitor is no competition.

9. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

it was too good to be true when the searches made many hundreds of dollars only to be slapped down by their new rules.
    (we) need to have more search engines (yahoo and bing) start ad revenue programs perhaps?
    or is this the problem?
    money does corrupt it would seem...roll

10. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

@ mark. Funny

11. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Personally I think they have probably not been paying enough in kickbacks. It is extortion using the justice department by congress. Do know it was true in the past, the last time they came under scrutiny.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)