Duplicate???

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (66 posts)
  1. Nathan Janes profile image61
    Nathan Janesposted 12 years ago

So I am trying to publish my articles that I have written so that they may be shared on this site and I am being told that I can't because they have been found on places like my website and such.

I have never been paid or hired to put my work on a page and no one owns my work, so why can't I put my work on here to share with everyone?
    This is confusing and aggravating.

Thanks for your help,

Nathan

1. CMHypno profile image83
      CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The TOS of HubPages is that you can only post original content that has not been posted anywhere else.  Even if you wrote it, copied content is not allowed.

Write something exclusively for HubPages and you will be fine! smile

2. Nathan Janes profile image61
      Nathan Janesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I guess if this site doesn't want to make any money off my articles that is their loss.  It seems quite selfish for a site supporting independent writers to insist that they only put their work on this site and only this site.
      They are cutting their own throats when it could be their site that launches a writer that was previously on the web, but was never noticed till they were a part of Hubpages. Being selfish will only guarantee that you will limit your ability to market writers and your chances at income.

If I can't share my work here, I guess I'll continue to look for someone that will eventually hire me and then pay me to share my work, or just stick with those that support the sharing of independent writers.

It's not selfish - Google does not like copied content on the web, and the amount of copied content on this site was, and still is, hurting the whole of HP.

Write one article, place it on one website.  Why would you need it in multiple locations, as it's only clogging up an already saturated web environment.  You can bookmark your articles, backlink them and generally promote them, but again always try to use unique copy in each of your bookmarks and blurbs.

HP are not cutting their own throats, they are trying to stitch up already existing open wounds!

3. Nathan Janes profile image61

I think this site will fail like many others when they limit their content to be exclusively for HubPages and nothing else. Independent writers don't like to take a risk of counting on one site to be the engine of their success. If this site doesn't prove to be what it says then what are we to assume that the next site we try and publish our work on will say we can't share our work, because the last site our work appeared on failed at marketing our articles and now we can't try the new site to publish our work because the last failed.

I'd love to share my work here and it would be a great loss if I can't because a site that wants to support independent writers is acting as if they are a mainstream outlet that pays the writers and owns their work exclusively for their site

You sound like a spammer.

HP has absolutely no responsibility for marketing your articles, that is entirely for you to do.

I do not work for Google, but if you do not at least attempt to work out what it is that the currently biggest search engine wants then your content will be buried.

HP does not make any money from the unnoticed and undiscovered - just like the writers here they need Hubs to be highly visible in SERPs and gaining a lot of traffic to make any money.

But at the end of the day - it is their site, their business, they make the rules!

CMHypno do you work for Google, why are you so concerned with them as if they own the web.
    If I were to take a guess I am beginning to think this site is the creation by larger interests, seeking out to make a profit on the unnoticed and undiscovered.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I think HubPages will survive without your articles.

4. ChrisIndellicati profile image72
    ChrisIndellicatiposted 12 years ago

just because he wrote it in two different places doesn't mean its not original.

Exactly!

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The TOS says that only unique articles are allowed...period.

I've heard of "social networking", but this sounds like "anti-social networking"

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79

This is not a social networking site.

Really, last I checked it was a hub for writers connect & to share their articles with each other???

No, it is a place to publish so the search engines find your articles and possibly earn you some money.

3. CMHypno profile image83

Go read the TOS, unless you want every hub you post flagged and removed! Like UW said, this is not a social networking site!

5. Nathan Janes profile image61

My bad its officially a Social Media Site, but which still encourages the social networking of its writers, so yes this is a social networking site I guess.
    Hubpages and its Benefits       

Well too bad, I was just looking to network with other writers and share my work with them.

Why not just write some original articles, post them here and get to know some hubbers?  You know, you may even enjoy it?

Being that you have invested so much in speaking for the company, I'm going to assume that CMHypno & UW are somehow connected to this company in the form of Public Relations and speak on their behalf.

Well, so long!

I can assure you that neither UW or myself work for HP. We just happen to have been here long enough to know the rules, and told you them when you asked.

I'm sorry that you are so disappointed, but did you really think that they were miraculously going to change them just because you rolled into town and didn't like them?

Good luck with your writing.

6. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 12 years ago

I'm afraid (Nathan) that Google and the way in which it works does have a bearing on sites all across the net. Those that are the same as this one, similar, your own sites.

Whether or not the work is your own is irrelevant. Whilst Google can't read, the system does recognise duplicate content. However great a writer you are, duplicating your work around the internet will not gain you the traffic you require. It's far more likely that you'll suffer a penalty and find your work buried.

Sites such as this reflect how the search engines gather their data. They work within the parameters of the services that they rely on in order to attract search engine traffic.

On the flip side, it also means that anyone that scrapes your content (plagiarises) are equally penalised. It helps to protect the inegrity of the original author.

Don't get mad about it, try and understand how it works. I appreciate your frustration but - that's the way the internet works.

Imagine you invent something fantastic in the real world. Then someone copies your idea. Same scenario. You lose out to someone else's thieving attitude.

Everything is shared on the internet..you can't stop people from sharing content within their blogs. There are mainstream articles copied and shared everyday. Are you saying that these popular articles are buried and disappear off the net because they are popular?
      Wait for the next big story and then see how many people share that info..it makes it more popular. It seems to me you are being led by your master (Google) and formulating your ideas based on what they want your perception to be of the internet.
      The truth is that the internet doesn't work the way you say it does.
      I can do a simple article headline search in facebook and find a large assortment of people that share my articles which they found on different sites (Not just one) It's because they are on different sites people are more likely to find them.
      Just the same as many popular alternative news site have duplicates sites so if someone doesn't find their news on one site, they may come across it on another.

Sharing does not mean the entire article is posted in several places. You can link to articles as often as you wish and write a unique summary. Reprinting the entire article will only hurt you in the long run.  If I was looking to read a specific writer's work I would get very cheesed off if I kept finding the same article wherever I went.

I'd hate to break it to ya, but entire articles are shared everywhere on the web. It's what people do in order to spread the information in which the deem as important.
          Keep following the pigeon hole that Google wants to keep you in. There is a reason, because they don't want alternative media competing with the mainstream and muddying up their search results.

Just because lots of people do it does not make it right. And that is why so many DMCAs are filed daily. People are smarter to spread links than reprint the entire article.

Every single site I write for is now demanding that all articles must be unique.

Nothing to do with denying alternative media a choice, if they article is unique there is nothing to worry about.

2. classicalgeek profile image81
            classicalgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You say, "I'd hate to break it to ya, but entire articles are shared everywhere on the web. It's what people do in order to spread the information in which the deem as important."

And yet I notice on your site that it says, "No part of this site may be copied or modified without written permission."

Forgive me but my brain is not passively absorbing all these remarks without analysis. I spent all week last week filing DMCA takedown notices because my article had been copied and shared everywhere on the web. So I'm a little leery of your hypocrisy.

And UW is right, there is only one site I know of where you can post non-unique content. If you want to simply repost your stuff over and over, why not open 1,000 blogger blogs and repost your information as you please? (Oh, wait, does that violate Blogger's TOS?)

My work is not to be promoted as other than my work. Sites and people that share my articles also post the author info. ( I have yet to come across anyone posting my articles as if they are their own)  I have no problem with people sharing my articles...that's the whole point, but my website is copyrighted to say I am the creator of the work.

1. classicalgeek profile image81
                classicalgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

People have copied my article plenty as if it were their own. I should know, as I spent all last week filing copyright infringement claims, even against supposedly reputable sites, and my work was copyrighted, too. That is why HP and all these other sites have these policies of unique content only; it is a) to protect the original authors; and b) to maximize the amount of money to be made from the articles that are posted here.

If you like, I will be happy to repost your articles as my own on a ton of non-English speaking sites where these rules are not enforced, and you will quickly come to understand the value of HP's policy of unique content only.

Like Frogdropping said:  you can't educate carrots smile

Unlike your suggestion, people that share my articles don't try and steal them and promote them under the perception of theirs.

If you could put my article up on the non-speaking sites it would be great. Reaching more people with my important information is the key.  Please share my articles with them. Thanks!

2. IzzyM profile image87
                IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nathan is right here. Google does not frown on duplicate content being posted so long as it also contains links back to the original author.
                And that is a very good strategy he has of making podcasts or sound only videos to read out the words he has written as he will potentially reach a far wider audience.
                However, that does not change the fact that HP rules do not allow any content that is not unique to Hubpages.

1. Cagsil profile image70
                  Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Really? hmm

1. IzzyM profile image87

"What about duplicate content, you might ask? If your article is out on all these sites that are running a syndication feed, are you going to be penalized for duplicate content? According to Matt Cutts of Google, as long as the syndicated articles link back to the source site, you're all right."

http://www.ideamarketers.com/?Article_S … eid=193680

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Backlinking to the original source of the content is a lot different than duplicating the content and posting it all over the net. People here have sincerely tried to give you relevant information to help you be successful, but so far, all that I've seen is that you've made them all your adversaries and scoffed at their hard-earned, valuable knowledge and help.

I sincerely wonder if blood is reaching your brain. Maybe you should lie down for a while and let all this info catch up to you.

But, if I'm mistaken, then you obviously should argue with Google instead of those who are trying to help you.

Good luck with all that.

7. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 12 years ago

Nathan you can't educate carrots.

Good luck.

8. Nathan Janes profile image61

What's interesting, within the couple seconds my article was live on "Hubpages" it was share 50 times on Facebook...hhmmm your loss Hubpages...just think what a day would have brought.

My your fingers work fast LOL! lol

2. Eric Graudins profile image61
      Eric Graudinsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

2,160,000 new viewers to HubPages by my reckoning!
      That's 15,120,000 new viewers a week, or some 453,600,000 a month.

Wow. what a traffic magnet. You could be single handedly responsible for rescuing hubpages.
      They'd be be crazy to let you go.

I suggest that you contact Paul Edmonson, one of the owners of Hubpages, and put a profit sharing proposal to him.

NOW.

(Edited to correct traffic figures. 50 views in 2 seconds = 1500 per minute, 90,000 per hour)
      30 day month assumed.

9. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Hubpages weeps bitter tears of regret, I am sure.

yeah it called no generation of money off my articles. Too bad...

1. psycheskinner profile image82
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seriously dude, they have a strategy, they have rules.  It's working fine for them. Stop taking it so personally.

10. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Why not provide a link here so we can check out your amazing writing?

Deleted

I also create audio versions of my articles for those that are acclimated into our new culture and have a hard time reading anything longer than a paragraph.

HAHA they deleted my post of where to find my existing article that they wouldn't allow on here. AH HAHAHA!

Good luck being locked down here while they profit off you and keep you in confinement.  HAHA I can't believe they deleted the link because someone was interested in something I wrote that wasn't allowed on here because it was previously posted somewhere else. aHH haha

This site is a joke..good luck to you all! I'd say I'd see ya on the internet, but after this site fails, there will be no place to find what you wrote.

Most people here write on several sites as well as their own blogs.

2. Eric Graudins profile image61

Yes, I agree 100% with you there.
            But not for the reasons that have been discussed in this thread.

Google has no problem with duplicate content - unless it is multiple copies of the same content on the one website.

As far as multiple copies of the same content showing up on different websites, google gives a higher ranking to the page that it considers to be the definitive version.

Each site can make up their own rules for material that is posted.
            If people don't like it, they can remove their content.
            As I have done.

11. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I have found this entire thread a complete joke.

Is there something about DUPLICATE that YOU do not understand Nathan?

One of the main criteria search engines frown upon is duplicate content. That means, since all sites work off search engine traffic, then search engines will dictate whether or not, duplicate content is or has value.

What value duplicate content has is important to the sites overall ranking and must be taken into consideration.

HP does not want duplicate content and if YOU have simply come to HP to post articles you have elsewhere, then you will not be publishing here. Duplicate content isn't original content. Duplicate content is COPIED content from somewhere else on the Internet. Since, the copied content already exists somewhere else on the Internet, it is NOT original content.

So, do HP and Members a favor- get over yourself and move on.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

+2 = 3

12. Nathan Janes profile image61

Sure invest everything into one site so if/when it goes under or disappears from the net you are left with a whole internet of links directing everyone to a broken link and have to rebuild your network of interests in your work.

Foolish statement.

Diversity is good, but not based on duplicate content. roll

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79

As I have said before, most people write at more than one place.

You can only have your article in one place. It would suck to have your source where all your work go under and all your left with is a sample of your article on other websites and no way to view the whole article because it no longer exists.  Better hope this site never tanks. Otherwise all the work you put into marketing your work is lost and you have to start back at the beginning.

Google the exact title of my article  "Unplug the Signal: The Truth Will Not Be Televised " and you get 50,100 results.
        This will keep growing and every day more and more people find my article and share it on their sites. My articles have been read/listened/ shared by tens of thousands of people.
        Your obsession with being against sharing your articles on the web will only confine you and keep people from discovering what you have to say.

Other than Facebook, Twitter and my own blogs I don't post links to them anywhere else. And I have copies of all my articles.

The TOS of this site were not written by me...

2. Cagsil profile image70

What part do you not understand?

You do not have only one place to write articles. You have only one place to write a particular article. If you want to write the same article on other sites, that is word for word, then it will be flagged as duplicate content. Otherwise, you must write a similar article, which is not considered duplicate content.
          Then it would be best that suit the articles to being similar, but NOT exactly the same.
          This statement is ridiculous and shows ignorance. If HP tanks, then it would only require members to make minor adjustments, which you apparently don't seem to grasp.
          Wrong.
          So what? Too many factors and other variables are to be taken into account when punching any title into a search engine.
          Nice assumption. You sound so full of yourself, it's not even funny, yet is actually quite funny in one aspect.
          Cool. Then you don't need to be here?
          Wrong. But, I don't expect you to understand.

1. Eric Graudins profile image61

And what adjustments would these be Cagsil?

Hey Eric,

You already know, because you've already made them. lol lol

1. Eric Graudins profile image61

Hardly minor - as you also know :-)

lol lol

In some cases, yes it was hardly minor. In some others, it was only minor, simply because of that person's ability. wink

Since, not everyone is equal in knowledge, some will consider their adjustments minor and some will consider it major. I guess it is based on their point of view. lol

3. IzzyM profile image87

Maybe I am mistaken, but Nathan you are giving me the distinct impression that all you want is your writing out there. Maybe you want to clean up the world (here's a brush, give it back when you are finished).

The whole dup content, fresh content, new content debate is of interest to marketers, not philosophers.

13. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

Oh good, another person I won't have to flag for duplicate content.  Thanks bunches... Ta Ta!

14. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

But Hubpages TOS does NOT allow duplicate content, even if you wrote it and include backlinks.

I think that is the right road for Hubpages, because too many people were simply stealing content and passing it off as their own.

I also note that several sites have Hubpages listed online as a syndicate content site, which it clearly isn't.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)