No Job Proposal Yet Obama

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (27 posts)
  1. American View profile image60
    American Viewposted 12 years ago

Can you believe it. In response to a question at a town hall in Decorah, Iowa, Monday evening, President Obama said that when Congress returns in September, "I'll be putting forward...a very specific plan to boost the economy, to create jobs and to control our deficit. And my attitude is get it done." Really, Well what the hell have you been doing for the last 2 1/2 years? We needed a plan then. Answer, because he did not have one then and he does not have one now either. He even said so later in the speech
    "some of these folks know better, all I can do is to say I’m going to take the best ideas we have from everyone, Republicans, independents and Democrats, present to them"

Present them, he will present other ideas for he has none. Obama, if you have a plan, tell us today or come clean and tell everyone what we already know, you have no clue

1. livelonger profile image87
      livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

While we're waiting, why don't you share what your job stimulus program would be?

American Viewposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Would love to. You can hit my name and read all my ideas.

First I would address the revenue problem. Redo the entire tax codes. Eliminate all deductions, go to a flat tax tiered system. The lower income would pay 5%, the rate goes up for each level with upper income earners paying 39%. This eliminates the 50% not paying and will almost double our revenues. Then I would do the same for corperate tax structure. I would also change that companies that are not based in the US so they do not pay taxes. I would change it to no matter where you are based, you pay corperate taxes on money made here. And lastly, we need to punish those that send jobs overseas. So the people overseas that work for a US company, will pay withholding taxes.

Now before I get to the budget, by changing the tax brackets and starting off at 5% withholding taxes will put more pay in the pockets of low income and the middle class while the wealthier incomes actually had a tax hike. More money in the pockets, more they will spend, generatiing industry and the need for jobs goes up.

Now we need to balance the budget. First a 5%cut across the board. Congress takes a 15% pay cut, the President takes a 25% pay cut. This saves $300 billion per year. Then we need to look line by line in the budget and cut usless items. The CBO andGAO did a report and found thee are duplication of jobs and departments doing the same tasks. Streamline them and we save $200 billion per year. Look at the NSF. They have wasteful spending on research. Like Jell-o wrestling, a recreation of the 1964 world series, mating habits of bees, shrimp on a tread mill, a study of ticket sales. All those cuts save $6,8 billion per year.
        So with no effort I have found 5.06 Trillion dollars of cuts over 10 years.

The balanced budget with the increased revenues can lower taxes even more, pay for things we need to put more funds to like SS, Medicare, Medicaid, Education like Pell Grants. The balanced budget and increased revenues give confidence to the business sector here and across the world and that creates a business enviornment for businesses to grow and that creates jobs.

SO Live, What is your plan while we are waiting and wating, and wating and waiting............

1. Sweetsusieg profile image77
          Sweetsusiegposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I really like your ideas!!  I also REALLY like your idea of 'punishing' those Companies who got their start up here, then cut and run!!  Tax the snot out of them, so no one here will buy their stuff!  This way, we AMERICAN'S will rebuild and start anew!

2. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It should be obvious to every American citizen that the President of the United States can only authorize new government hires.  Private sector jobs are created by businesses not Presidents. 

As for the private sector, it should be noted:
      1. The Dow Jones Industrial Average has risen from 8,000 on Jan. 30, 2009, following President Obama's inauguration, to close at 12,657 on July 8th, 2011. This indicates a return of 50+% to investors in just 2-1/2 years.
      2. Banks and corporations are currently sitting on huge capital reserves accumulated from profits and government handouts, and they are continuing to reap huge savings from having sent their manufacturing and service jobs offshore.
      3. There has been zero net job creation since December 1999. No previous decade going back to the 1940s had job growth of less than 20 percent. (The Washington Post, Jan. 2, 2010)

Obviously, profits do not create jobs. Expansion creates jobs but not for American workers. High unemployment will remain until the wages and quality of American workers can compete with foreign labor markets.

But here are some things that The President can do, no matter what party he leads:

1. Support an active government role in training and retraining workers in order to maintain a stable demand for labor.
      2. Encourage federal and state investments to repair and replace our aging infrastructure.
      3. Curtail skyrocketing tuition costs so America’s most talented can compete with the America’s most affluent for a place in America’s world-respected colleges and universities. 

Bashing the office of The President, AV, must make a lot of folks feel better.  But, instead, it might be more therapeutic to examine why so many people have been misled into thinking the oval office can create jobs.

I hope you are doing well, AV.

Quill,

Nice to hear from you as always. I agree jobs come from the private sector. Which is why getting consumer confidence up to encourage them to spend is important. They spend, economy expands, results in new jobs. Profits does not create jobs, expansion does. Our current economic time shows that. Companies are posting profits because they made cuts. But they are not hiring
        I also understand you view of sending jobs overseas. But there are not as many as one thinks. No matter, to me 1 is to many. That is why I say tax their income. They would make less, want more money, then those jobs will become not so cheap and they will come home. Or they may not want to pay tax and quit there jobs. either way, those jobs come home.

I am not bashing Obama. I am just calling him out on his statements. I say if you have a plan, tells us. He cannot for he does not have one. I wrote about the Republican debate. I think you will find I made the same comments about them.

Thank you for asking, I am fine. My track was downsized again last week. If all goes well, as it is now, It mat be removed in about 3 weeks. I look forward to that day. The rest of rehab is going well.

Good as always to hear from you Quill

1. Quilligrapher profile image73
          Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi again, AV. After looking at the data, I suspect your comment is more wishful thinking then rational analysis. Here’s why.  Between Jan 1, 2009 and July 1, 2011 the consumer confidence index more than doubled from 25 to 60.(1) During this same period of rising consumer confidence, consumer spending remain relatively unchanged.  According to Gallup, “Throughout 2010, consumer spending remained relatively close to that of 2009.”(2) Therefore, rising consumer confidence did not increase consumer spending nor did it help the unemployment rate that deteriorated from 8.5% to 9.3% after peaking at 10.6% in Jan. 2010.(3)  American jobs lost abroad are not filled by US citizens working for US companies.  Foreign nationals working for multi-national (non-US) companies fill these jobs.  The notion the US can impose tax deductions on foreign companies is unrealistic. The idea is impossible to accomplish. You seem to have a very low tolerance for political rhetoric, AV. Nobody has a plan.  There is only posturing from both sides of the isle. I don’t believe there is very much a sitting President can do to create jobs in the private sector.  He can only say he has a plan, help make it easy for big business to expand, and then hope some of the new jobs remain in this country.  But this President knows: no net increase in jobs means no chance for a second term!

Keep up the good progress, AV, and get well soon.

(1) http://forbestadvice.com/Money/Economy/ … dence.html
          (2) http://www.gallup.com/poll/145562/consu … nuary.aspx
          (3) http://www.bls.gov/cps/data.htm

Quill,
            You are right, I have little tolerance for the rhetoric. The kindergarten banter is useless, I want to see ideas and results. Now, we know not everyone will agree on ideas, that is what a good debate is for. For example, you and I do not always agree, but we have ideas and we talk about them.  To many others just spew whatever side they are on talking points and have no suggestions except to say the sky is black when you say it’s blue.  Now some here are upset and claim I am bashing or I am a tea bagger. Why? Because I spoke the fact that in 2 ½ years Obama has not had a jobs plan? Because he has said he will present one in a few weeks? Well both are true.  Sorry, there is no time like the present. Procrastination is part of why we are here in this job market.  When Obama became President the Unemployment was around 7%. It went to over 10% and has come down to 9.1% today. He said his stimulus plan would not allow the unemployment rate would not go over 8%. Now it is fine he was wrong, nobody is perfect and best laid plans do not always work. But he has made no attempt to do anything else and goes around the country bragging his stimulus saved us. Tell that to the millions that lost their jobs after the stimulus.

You are also right about consumer confidence almost doubling since 2009 and it has been going up and down. The consumer-confidence index remains low by historical standards. In a healthy economy, the index averages about 95 points. We are far from that. So I stand by my statement of raising the consumer index will spur more spending.
            I know the jobs abroad are not filled by our citizens. If they were the Unemployment rate would be less. I am surprised you think that taxing those individuals personal weekly checks was nor able to be done. Why? The Company here is responsible for collecting the tax. If they cannot deduct it, then it will come out of their bottom line. So I am sure they will collect it from those employees.

Now I do not have all the answers. If I did I could be President. But I do have ideas, they may need tweeking to make them better, improvement can be found in everything.  There are other ideas that get tossed out and debated on. I may not agree with them, they may not agree with me, but at least there was an idea put out there. That is more than I can say about a good number of those who just want to say the opposite or just attack with nothing to support their position.  Sadly, Washington has no answers either, but they know how to act like kindergarteners.

As always Quill you bring up good points. I always look forward to them.  Thanks again for the kind words

3. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Governments can't create jobs. They can only steal jobs from one sector and put them somewhere else.

Evan,

You are right that Government does not create jobs, expanding economy and consumer spending spark job growth. But actions in Washington can effect the economy and job growth  up or down. Government can slow or help spped up an economy. Poor legislative choices can slow the economy way down and cost jobs as we see under Obama. But other legislations can lead to job creation and expansion.

2. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 12 years ago

Job stimulus or "fix everything"? I'm gathering from your response that you're probably on Social Security or Medicare yourself, or otherwise they don't make sense in your proposal. They have nothing to do with jobs. Medicaid and education grants also have little to do with job creation.

Taxing the working poor is a great way for them to abandon work altogether. Most of them are struggling to make ends meet already. But I agree on bringing up the top tax bracket to Reagan-era levels; they are far too low right now, creating a major revenue problem (and doing very little to stimulate the economy).

I'd love to see how cutting the President's and Congress's pay will save $300 billion a year. Have a link?

To actually stimulate job creation in actual concrete terms, I would embark on a major public works effort, to rebuild crumbling roads and bridges, and overhaul public transportation. This would give jobs to hundreds of thousands of people, give business to many companies that have been hardest hit by the housing slump, and allow people to get to work more quickly. Good infrastructure will also help businesses, helping both employees and customers.

I would also heavily invest in retraining programs, since most of the jobs that have vanished in the last couple of years will not be coming back.

Live,

There is no link, its easy to figure yourself. Lookup the total amount of the budget and subtract 5%, then subtract 15% of congressional salaries. than subtract 25% of the Presidents salary. Not that hard to do.

Now , where do you get that this was about SS or medicare? You are not even close. YES, fixing everything will create jobs. It will create a level of confidence for consumers to spend(especially since they will see more take home pay) and for businesses to grow. For your information the working poor pay 10% now, under my plan they will only pay 5%. What do you think they will do with that 5%? They will spend it. Spending money moves the economy, moving the economy creates jobs, not temporary jobs.

"To actually stimulate job creation in actual concrete terms, I would embark on a major public works effort, to rebuild crumbling roads and bridges, and overhaul public transportation."

Really? so hows that working out for you so far? fact it it has not. The jobs you are talking about end when the stimulas package you propose ends. My jobs from increase personal spending are permanent jobs. Huge difference.

You want to retrain. What do you think the educational grants do? They are not just for college people, but going to college for someone who lost his job is retraining to. So I guess you were for increasing ecucational grants but did not realize it. 

Should you look at some other ideas I have you will see a broad stroke of a new healthcare plan that I am pushing to several people in Congress. They are very interested, a few of them are democrats. Now the entire program I am pushing is like the size of a book, I could not put the whole program in here. But if something like that can happen, Medicare load will go way down and so will the amount deducted from your paycheck and your pay would increase.

Now thats not a direct job creater, but it will give more take home pay, people will spend it andit creates more jobs.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay, let's say you're the President, and you have this wonderful proposal.  Now, get it passed by Congress.

2. livelonger profile image87
        livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Smoke and mirrors. Lowering taxes will create jobs? How did the lowest taxes in history not prevent the worst recession this side of 1929? Why aren't very low taxes on the rich not creating jobs?

It's been tried. It doesn't work. The constant drumbeat of propaganda from Murdoch makes people forget.

Your numbers are so off ($300 billion spent on Congress's salaries? You're off by several orders of magnitude. It's more like $108 million.) that maybe it would be money well spent to send Tea Partiers back to school to learn basic math first.

No smoke, no mirrors, just someone who does not want to accept a change, typical Democrat Soros rhetoric. OK let me spell it out for you again Maybe in small steps so you can follow.

Numbers are not inaccurate, you left everything out. I said

"Now we need to balance the budget. First a 5%cut across the board. Congress takes a 15% pay cut, the President takes a 25% pay cut. This saves $300 billion per year."

We are talking about cuts to the budget Step1, cut 5% across the board. Step 2 Congress takes a 15% pay cut. Step 3, The President takes a 25% tax cut. Step1+step2+step3= $300 billion.

So does that explain it easier for you. Since I am an independent, perhaps some should take the Tea party money and learn to read and understand what they read.

Read up on history. Every President that has spent, taxed, and more has failed Read FDR, Obama completly mirrors his administration

3. Sweetsusieg profile image77
    Sweetsusiegposted 12 years ago

I was actually thinking of taking a copy of the video with the President saying that he has a plan, that he is going to announce in Sept (or so) of creating jobs,  to the people I owe money to ie; Consumers Energy, Phone, Mortgage Company etc...  And tell them "Obama has a plan!!  Can I hold off paying you until the 'Plan' comes through?"  Because baby the jobs are few and far between here in Michigan!!

Good come back LOL     smile

4. caseykins86 profile image58
    caseykins86posted 12 years ago

I still waiting for this big turn around, I had to apply for unemployment today because I got laid off. I've avoided doing it for so long but now i'm starting to struggle. It's not like i'm not trying to get a job, I have apps everywhere! I just can't figure out what Obama has actually done since he has been in office... besides dig a bigger hole and spend money we don't have. I'm all for helping others but right now we need to focus on us, ya there are tragedies in the world and it is sad and yes we are still a powerful country but before we help them lets take care of our own people that are struggling. Sry guys just had to rant a little..

We are all waiting Things will turn around. Hang in there

5. Moderndayslave profile image59
    Moderndayslaveposted 12 years ago

None of them have a plan. Tax cuts for the wealthy will not work either,just look where we are now.

In an appearance on CBS' "Face the Nation," Ryan, who unveiled the GOP's 2012 budget plan last week, said Republicans were merely making the system more efficient and opposing the president's proposal to end the Bush-era tax cuts for the rich.

"We're not talking about cutting taxes," he told CBS' Bob Schieffer. "We're just not agreeing with the president's tax increases. I guess that's the new definition of tax cuts. We're saying keep tax rates where they are right now. Get rid of all those loopholes and deductions which, by the way, are mostly enjoyed by wealthy people so you can lower tax rates."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/04/ … 4718.shtml

1. Moderndayslave profile image59
        Moderndayslaveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you really think any politician will stick their neck out to end Corporate welfare? There are so many areas Americans are getting screwed,a tax on All financial transactions should be no.2 on the list. The sale of a stock is the same as a sale of a pair of shoes or a car and should be taxed.

Actually, they do. The profit from sales of stock are declared as income and taxes are paid on them.

Keyword was Profit. A car depreciates and I pay sales tax on the whole thing. If they did this it would throw a spoke jam on that whole flash trading thing and commodities would slam on the brakes as well,benefiting me and the other serfs.

2. American View profile image60

It is reported on 1040 scedule D if I remember right

All stock purchases are speculation. Tax the stock market trades and there will be no more 401K, no more retirement funds at all, and a major stock market crash as all the middle class will be taxed out of the market

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)