Mormons are racist

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (19 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

1863. Lets think about this. America was embroiled in a war and one of the main reasons was that some people felt they had a right to own Africans. The American Constitution didn't count a black person as more than 3/5 of a person. It wasn't until the 60's that we began to legally force people to allow for racial equality.

All in all, sounds like the Mormons were no different than anyone else during that time.

1. TMMason profile image61
      TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The 3/5th clause doe not count a person... it tallies whole populations.

Please read the clause itself and think about what would have happened had all the blacks in a given state been fully counted. Those slave holding states would have had a very large majority in the Govt and we would still have slavery.

The 3/5ths clause is one of the most mis-understood and lied about parts of the Constitution. I would expect you would look for the facts before slandering the document, Emile.

Fredrick Douglas himself was under the same false impression as yourself, Emile. Untill he read the document. Then he loved the Constitution and what it embodied.

It is worth a read.

A black man in a free state was counted as a whole person... a slave population in a slave state was counted as 3/5ths of the total for representation reasons.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do understand that putting words in the mouth's of others and thougts in the heart's of others is one of the cornerstones of the Christian philosophy; however, in an environment where our words are there for everyone to see, it would be best to not lie about someone.  It is so easily refuted.  I clearly stated the following:
        No. It was fear on the part of the North. They didn't want to count blacks as whole people because it would equate to a higher percentage of representation in the House for the South.

Lies do not become us Mr. Mason.  Well, those of us with morals, at the least.

Emile said.... "1863. Lets think about this. America was embroiled in a war and one of the main reasons was that some people felt they had a right to own Africans. The American Constitution didn't count a black person as more than 3/5 of a person. It wasn't until the 60's that we began to legally force people to allow for racial equality.

All in all, sounds like the Mormons were no different than anyone else during that time."

There is the post i responded to Emile... no where do i see that in there.

And to call me a liar becuase i responded to what I read is just sad, Emile.

If I got the wrong impression based on your words in that post I quoted... then I am sorry. But it says what I addressed, and that is not a lie.

1. profile image0

Interesting. You had full access to a conversation that happened two days ago and you chose to not view it in its entirety, but to pick and choose what part to address.

I feel oddly honored. You treated my conversation in the same manner you do the Bible. I forgive you.

Actually no.

I read the thread and did not see the post you are referencing... simple as that. I read the one which said what I replied to and had no clue you had another post up there.

I know you all are perfectionists and never miss anything... but us mere mortals somethimes read right past something. And today is the first time I have seen this thread. It was on the front page this morning.

You have called me a liar and stated that I put words in your mouth on multiple occassions today... and that is just BS. you can feel however you want, but the fact is you seem to want to argue with me and insult me... so have at it.

I stated a reply honestly to what I read of your posts. Nothing more, nor less... you do not like it... oh well.

1. profile image0

Now, now Mr. Mason. I apologized to you in the other thread for thinking your post in reply to mine was actually a reply to me. Goodness. If you go out of your way to muddy the waters and then can't accept an apology graciously, is that my fault?

And I have already said I forgive you for ignoring part of the conversation on this thread and jumping to conclusions. I have no idea what more you expect of me.

Perhaps, if you spent less time reading my posts and attempting to find fault? Or, if you are going to read them, more time reading before you jump to conclusions? I don't know. There appear to be multiple options at your disposal.

Oh nice spin, Emile.

I knew there was something I liked about you.

As I said your the one who keeps accussing me of putting words in your mouth, and lying.

I stated I read only that post of yours I commented on, I did not see any other. That is as simple as it gets.

I also accepted your apology... then you went and said the same exact thing again.

So?... am I just suppossed to ignore your repetition of it because you apologized once.

I do not put words in your, nor anyone elses, mouth.

So you keep accussing me of putting words in your mouth and I will keep telling you to show me where.

Where?...

Anyways... have a nice day.

2. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

And exactly how did they come up with 3/5?
    Is that a commodity assessment?

1. profile image0

No. It was fear on the part of the North. They didn't want to count blacks as whole people because it would equate to a higher percentage of representation in the House for the South.

1. Jonathan Janco profile image60
        Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I understand. I was just wondering they came up with that particular figure. Cant help but think a bunch of 'experts' sitting around a table saying, 'how bout half?', 'eh, cant be down with half, how bout three quarters?', 'Three quarters?! No way! Far too human for me to support'.

1. profile image0

I don't know but I guess it was a coup for the South. It was over 50%. It's pathetic to think we fought for freedom just to turn around and haggle over the worth of a human life. Dark times in history, I guess.

3. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

Mormons are racist

and PEOPLE ARE "b" HeADS   

soOOOO  its  UIME TO DO SOMTIN.

4. MissE profile image76
    MissEposted 12 years ago

You are painting with a very broad brush my friend.......always dangerous ground.  I AM a Mormon.  I am NOT racist.  Period.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)