religion is a result of human emtion

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Knight6 profile image64
    Knight6posted 12 years ago

why is it that every time humans turn to their repective gods it is usally as a result of some form of emtion sad happy guilt etc..
    "if you believe in light it is because of darkness,
    if you believe in joy it is because of sadness
    and if you believe in god it is because of the devil....."
    that is take from a track of music written by engima the point and the question is "is religion there because of emtions?"

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes and no.  No because it was started by the shamans in a power play to control others around him.  Yes because the "magic" he used caused fear and thus allowed the control he wanted.

Knight6posted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes this is ture it all started as power play but to control the people you feed off there emotion and to do that you create something to fear religion!

Correct; you said it better than I did.

Except it's "their" instead of "there"! big_smile

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, God (and yes I mean God Himself, not some man-made god) is emotional.  He Loves, He hates, He has compassion, He feels vengeance, etc.
      Humans are made in His image, with the ability to feel emotions.

As far as other religions and pagan gods, those are the ones where human beings try to project their own emotions onto lifeless unemotional icons or fabrications.

So, I answer your question like wilderness did (but for a different reason)---
      Yes, "religion" (worship of any indefinite thing) is there because of emotions.
      No, religion (belief in God) isn't there because of emotion;  emotion is there because of religion.

thank you for your reply but when i said respective gods what i meant was there repective beliefs as for god feeling hate and vengeance that kind of goes against the bible and what we are lead to believe if emotion is there becauce of religion what did people do before religion?not feel the belief in god is only around with the last 2000 years

1. profile image0

Doesn't go against the Bible at all.  Have you read any of it?  God's emotions are a key part of the Bible.  Love is the most powerful emotion of all, and God IS Love.   The other emotions are equally valid.

I take it that your point is that people invent "gods" and God because of their emotions?  In particular guilt, maybe?   Or is there some point I missed? 
          I agree people invent gods.  They didn't invent God, though.

And you ask what did people do before "religion"?
          Eh....religion has been around for as long as there were people.  God made the first man.   I'm not a believer in the fallacy of neanderthal man, etc.   Man was made grown-up, walkin' talkin' feelin'.  The first man was, anyway.

You're right.  Homo neanderthalensis was not a man; that term is generally reserved for homo sapiens (us).

It was, however, a fire and tool using animal that buried its dead, possible in a religious ceremony (burial usually is a religious ceremony) and cooked its food. On the scene in Europe before man, it interbred to a limited extent with man, but went extinct shortly after true man arrived on the scene. 

As the only other animal known to truly use fire , produced art in the form of paintings as well as jewelry and had a brain nearly the size of ours perhaps we should expand the non-biological term "man" to include the neanderthals.

1. profile image0

interbred with what men?  The ones who weren't there yet?  lol.  True man?  What are you talking about?

Homo sapiens did not appear all over the globe all at once.  They originated in Africa/near east area and spread out from there.

By the time that homo sapiens entered Europe Neanderthals had already been there for thousands of years, along with many other animals.

Sorry - I should have probably said "homo sapiens" rather than "true man".  That was what I meant - that neanderthal went extinct shortly after the arrival of homo sapiens (man).  'Shortly' being a few thousand years - the exact date of the death of the very last neanderthal is of course impossible to determine.

1. profile image0

I know I'm gonna be sorry I asked, but....

From what source(s) do you believe that stuff?   Fossils?  Carbon dating?  The scratchings on cave walls?  Later writings of the deluded....er....deductive minds of the time?

All four.  Why do you NOT understand it?  Because you simply don't want to?  Because it conflicts with previously held beliefs?  Because you refuse to think about it?  Because of the deluded...er...questioning minds of ignorant goat herders 2000 years ago and more?

Now that we have sufficiently (I hope) insulted the knowledge and learning of each other would you care to continue the discussion of neanderthal?  Perhaps we can both learn here - if nothing else how someone of a very different background thinks and learns.  Or not.

2. earnestshub profile image80
              earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree wilderness.
              Information should change to be current and inline with new understanding. Homo Neanderthals should now be included in the term.

I kind of lean that way.  Anything that can use fire, make complex tools and art and ceremonially bury its dead is probably smart enough to be considered "man".

Of course that would mean that "man" comes from intelligence and not genetics, shape or soul.  ET (someday perhaps) would be a "man".  The other attributes would still apply only to "homo sapiens".

2. donotfear profile image83
        donotfearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very well said, Brenda!!

1. profile image0

donotfear, hello;  hope you're doing well these days. smile

3. A Troubled Man profile image57
        A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, God (and yes I mean the very same God Himself that you refer, not some man-made god from some other religion in which the followers also consider their god to be the actual god and the god you believe is actually man-made) goes beyond just feeling vengeance and hatred, He carries them out in acts of destruction or commands humans to act out His aggression.

If humans were made in His image, have we also learned from Him to carry out our hatred and vengeance as He does?

1. profile image0

Umm...    He is, after all, God.  We're not.  He judges righteously.  All humans aren't capable of that.   
          ..I think the closest to doing that well would be our American system of justice.   We have the ability to do that through that system of civil rights and providing attorneys, etc., using the "innocent until proven guilty" motto, and the jury system.   That would indicate hatred, yes, but not hatred for individuals;  it's hatred for seeing crimes committed upon other humans; and yes it's a form of vengeance for the victim.

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
            A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Humans certainly thought they could judge righteously and many still do. But for the most part, societies have gone beyond judging righteously and have become more secular to make sure people like yourself aren't religiously persecuted because of your beliefs, that you have and hold the right to believe whatever you want. We also found that stoning someone to death for an act as trivial as wanting to believe in something else wasn't very fair.

IMSC, I believe you mentioned you have been divorced. If not for the American system of justice, would you have preferred your divorce have been judged and executed centuries ago when we did judge righteously?

1. profile image0

It wouldn't matter which way it was judged.  I wasn't the one who broke the laws of marriage or of God that led up to my divorce.

And if you're assuming that the laws then said that all divorcees should get stoned....?....I don't think that happened all the time.  The Samaritan woman apparently didn't get stoned, and she had had what...5 husbands?

And if you'll notice, when, in another instance, Jesus told the adulteress to "go and sin no more", her accusers were men.  Men who had somehow "caught" her in the act of adultery?   Wonder how they caught her, or if it wasn't them, who turned her in, and why didn't they turn in the man she was committing adultery with?  And why didn't the men stick around long enough to listen to Jesus's admonishment to repent?

So you see, even back then, not all judges nor all people judged righteously anyway.  God did, yes.  His judgements are always righteous.   And if His laws are followed, there is always forgiveness available for the sinner, no matter what.   There was even then.   And there is today, even in our American justice system.

1. Evolution Guy profile image59
                Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Did he judge people who get a divorce?

And break sacred vows to God?

What did He say about these sinners? Not real Christians, I think?

1. profile image0

In keeping with the topic of this thread, thanks Evolution Guy for giving me the opportunity to say this-----God's judgement, even then, was tuned into the heart of the person.   God judges the intent of our hearts.  Our hearts either Love Him or don't Love Him.  We either want to follow Him or we don't.   Try reading sometime the passages about God's emotions and what He wants for us and from us. You might be surprised, even enlightened, when you do that instead of trying to judge Him based on your own insecurities or rebellion or whatever it is.

1. Evolution Guy profile image59
                    Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Aww - how insincere of you. Even a simpleton like me can see the lies you are making.

Intent to divorce and break god's law? Tell us wot god wants again. LOLOLOLOL

2. Knight6 profile image64

brenda durham you are correct you either love him or dont love him and in doing so the emotion decides weather religion or the belief in him exists or not in the bible he gave humans free will why?as for the idea that man was created walkin talkin etc yes that is a belief and based on the bible that is what happened but what happened next?adam eve cain and able the bible said these were the first people so how did the rest of us get here?if not through incest then he must have made more who were they? as i have said before the bible is a book and if it is real then god who is all knowing all powerful has made more then just one or two mistakes if however it was written by humans then i understand the errors and also shows that the emotion of humans created the religion because that is how the bible was written and i should know i have read it and followed it all the way to nearly becoming a memeber of the clergy.........but then......

3. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Religion was originally created out of emotion, at first it was fear, then like everything, it evolved into guilt. Two different emotions. wink

1. earnestshub profile image80

...but a natural progression. smile
        Nice to see you. smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually Earnest, there wasn't anything natural about it, because it didn't actually follow evolution, but was evolved from humankind changing it's tactics.

But, thank you. Nice to see you as well. smile

1. earnestshub profile image80

Yep! A lot of changes would not have happened without our intervention. smile

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

If emotion is what is important, and religion is important, then emotion is the result of religion.

3. Nexis19 profile image61
    Nexis19posted 12 years ago

Ok yes it may be possible that religion is the result of emotion or the other way around. I however agree with the earlier comments mad bye Knight6 and wilderness that it all started as a power play. As society began to develop there needed to be some form of control and religion was a good way to gain control. Using peoples beliefs to control them worked and as time went on the idea evolved and developed. religion is a result of desperation caused by a lack of control in my opinion but the other opinions posted here are equally interesting.

wilderness and your self nexis19 have it in one i believe religion all types and forms of it were created with one goal in mind control..........thank you all for your opinions and feed back

1. Nexis19 profile image61
        Nexis19posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your welcome Knight6

4. Nexis19 profile image61
    Nexis19posted 12 years ago

also as a correction to my previous post i meant "made by Knight6 and wilderness" not "mad bye knoght 6 and wilderness"

5. jay_kumar_07 profile image60
    jay_kumar_07posted 12 years ago

Religion is a result of human ignorence.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)