What steps do you take to lessen your impact on Earth?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (20 posts)
  1. summerclark7387 profile image70
    summerclark7387posted 12 years ago

Do you consider yourself "green?"  Do you make an attempt at living a sustainable lifestyle?  Please share the steps you take whether they be small or large.  Composting, car pooling, recycling, use renewable energy etc...  My hope is to share good green ideas with eachother, and to gain some knowledge.

I recycle religiously, purchace renewable energy from my power company, and police our lightswitches.  I also only run full loads of dishes in the dishwasher and I avoid chemicals like they're the plague, using only green cleaners.  I try use my consumer influence by purchacing green products whenever possible.

Don't be shy, how do you live green?

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I periodically leave.

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I have actually (I highly advise against this) done the following:

Raised my own meat. This includes separate pastures for pigs, three cows and a goat. I did this because it was the most drastic way to reduce my carbon footprint.

Believe me. Everything they say about farm animals is true. Pigs are pigs. Cows make a very large number of cow patties. And if you ever wondered how the myth of the satyr came about, own a billy goat. They are bizarre and sexually deviant creatures.

Now, having accepted that some things are worse than a heavy carbon footprint; I use a push mower instead of a riding one. I take my own bags to the store and I fantasize about starting to recycle.

1. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd love to be raising my own meat!  But I guess we do the next best thing by buying directly from the rancher. 

And yes, billy goats are crazy!  I would hate to own one.

As to being 'green' -- I prefer to think of it as frugal -- we compost, garden, recycle some things, walk when we can, take our own bags to the store most of the time and use very little disposable or heavily packaged items.

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I could never raise my own meat. I would get attached to the animals and end up living with them till death do us apart! hmm

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
          Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Only if you had something else to eat, KW.  smile

4. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I can also testify as to the pigs and cows. I didn't know about the goats. lol

And, amazingly, I actually do recycle. smile

5. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

I take my bags to the supermarket, whenever I forget them I get paper because it's cheaper to recycle, and I use those paper bags to recycle in the house and I also use them to create the gardening beds where I plant so that I don't have to use chemicals to kill the grass. I also try to plant a lot of native plants, and I do grow my own herbs.

6. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

I always use a parachute!  smile

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wished I'd thought of that....sad

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5487354.jpg

7. summerclark7387 profile image70
    summerclark7387posted 12 years ago

Awesome!  Someday I hope to raise some chickens, maybe a cow and definately have a garden, but that someday is not yet.  Anyone compost?  I always tell myself that I need a compost pile, but I never start one.

1. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We compost all of our grass clippings and vegetable scraps to improve the garden soil.  I also have collected saw dust from a local saw mill to improve the ph balance of our soil.
      If you don't have a place to use the compost or quite a bit of stuff to compost, it is not really worth your time.  To get things to break down properly and kill all weed seeds, your pile needs to be fairly large.

8. classicalgeek profile image81
    classicalgeekposted 12 years ago

I compost, recycle, grow stuff in my parents' yard (5 miles away), buy renewable energy, buy used things rather than new where I can, conserve energy, work from home, hypermile and combine trips, keep car maintained, try not to fly, use public transportation where I can, make my own cosmetics, use only natural cleaning products, make my own clothing, handbags, and curtains/home decor stuff, installed untreated cork underlayment for my flooring, and probably way more than I have listed here. I also filter all the water that comes into my house and dispose of the filters in the hazardous waste program (to keep lead and mercury out of the landfill) where they are not recyclable. I took steps to stop all junk mail and catalogues, use fans instead of air conditioning when weather permits, freshen the house naturally, and of course I take my own bags (which I made myself from unwearable clothing) not just to the grocery store, but everywhere. I use everything until it is completely worn out.

9. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

I am poor.

10. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

We grow our own fruit and vegetables,but are not totally self sufficient.

I compost as much kitchen waste as I can and use the compost on the land that we grow the vegetables on.

Use re-usable shopping bags.

Use the dishwasher and washing machine on economy cycle whenever it is feasible to do so.

I do not own a tumble dryer, i.e. dry washing outside on line.

If we are discarding clothes that are no longer suitable but are in good condition they are given to a charity to resell.

We have days when we do not eat meat.

Rarely waste food as I make sure nothing goes out of date and is wasted that way, this and the composting helps with cutting down what goes in the bin to landfill.

The not so green behaviour that I have to confess to is flying, when going on holiday to Europe.

11. aware profile image66
    awareposted 12 years ago

earth  will step on us like a  cigarette butt. the impact will  sound like extinction
    ray

What does an "extinction ray" sound like?  It could certainly sound no worse than Billy Ray!smile

12. aware profile image66
    awareposted 12 years ago

its the sound of silence . of course music to natures ear im sure.
    lol ray

No big deal, Ray.  Mass extinctions are minor phases of life in the universe.  Ask any passenger pigeon.  smile

13. aware profile image66
    awareposted 12 years ago

extinction makes way for new life . yet we try to stop it .  now is that green? 
    ray

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)