Looking for feedback

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (19 posts)
  1. alhawkins profile image60
    alhawkinsposted 12 years ago

Hello hubbers,

I need so feedback, if possible, on this hub: http://alhawkins.hubpages.com/hub/Maste … me-of-Pool

Al

1. Joe Macho profile image83
      Joe Machoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello,

I ended up reading both of your hubs. They are interesting, but I'm not too sure how long they will hold the general public's attention. They are written with a personal touch, which is very nice. At the same time, this could be your downfall because the text is kind of strung out. I like pool, but I'm not quite sure that I've learned so much from your hub. Part one is nice, but the text seems pretty long for just driving the point of motivation and practice. Also so, I believe that in the first paragraph, it's 'shoot pool' not 'shot pool'. You might want to make sure that you have proofed and checked the hubs over for proper grammar, as it may turn readers off if its not perfect. You can still keep the text, but I would suggest maybe adding some photos, links and instructional videos. This will work to hold the reader's attention longer and also help to make the hub more visually appealing. Also, link the hubs together! If you're going to have two parts, it's much easier for readers to find Part 2 if there is a link to it from Part 1. My apologies if I am sounding too harsh, I just figured I'd catch you up on all the little stuff I've learned so far. Here's a hub that I've recently published that could be of some help: http://hubpages.com/t/293884. It's on a niche topic like your's so it could be used as some what of a reference point as far as visual appeal, photo, video and link use. Wish you the best of luck and welcome to hubpages. I'll be following you.

Just delete the period off my link to get to my hub. I hate how that happens!

2. alhawkins profile image60
        alhawkinsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!

I did not expect this much advise. Greatly appreciated!

I will go through all the points you have made and make the corrections. There is one thing. Where you said, " the text is kind of strung out". Can you give me an example of this, if you can.

I guess what I was trying to get at was the text overall looked pretty long and daunting, not so much 'strung out'.

Thanks, I will make my paragraphs shorter. Maybe that can help. And add pictures.

2. MonetteforJack profile image70
      MonetteforJackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Feedback: Read and follow Joe Macho's suggestions and you'll have a more appropriate and interesting hub.  He is right --  you focused too much on motivation, and you should make your hub visually appealing.

If I were a non-player but want to be a master of pool, what are the techniques?  How can I be a master in the shortest time possible?

Thanks for the response!

I will follow Joe's advice.

2. thooghun profile image94
    thooghunposted 12 years ago

You write well, which is a good foundation. I would suggest, as others have stated, taking some stress of the text with an image or two.

If you want to attract a wider audience you will also need to employ some SEO techniques such as high quality out bound links with your keywords anchor-texted. Include a few keywords in headers and so forth. If you don't care about organic traffic, disregard this.

Thanks for the compliment. I will look into the whole SEO thing.

3. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I'm wondering why these are in parts and not one hub.
    Separating paragraphs with more spacing makes it easier to read and photos and videos are good also for people like me who are visual.(break up into more text capsules)
    A good start.wink

I separated them because I did not what to overwhelm people with too much pool talk. Maybe for my next one I will include more.

Thanks for the advice!

4. K9keystrokes profile image85
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

alhawkins you have a nice writing style without a doubt. As far as feedback goes on your Pool Hub:(strictly my opinion)

1. Breaking the paragraphs up into about 200 words will help your reader remain engaged.
    2. You must take into consideration what you are trying to teach; pool. It is a very visual and mathematical game. Utilize these features to teach your lesson.
    3. If you can, adding video (youtube has a many) could make this hub amazing.
    4. Unique photos. "Showing" your reader the physical positions, step by step will keep them coming back time and time again! Robin (high ranking HubPages Staff) recommends placing your directions right next to the image so they align and offer the lesson in visual medium, as well as written (again, adding video offers audio, making a perfectly well-rounded teaching hub).

You have the chops for writing, just try thinking about how you would want to learn a task, and pursue that route. Joe Macho is right-on-money with his input and thooghun offers you some very important advice regarding SEO in his comment section. Follow thier lead and learn all you can on the subjects.
    Don't forget Hubpages offers a wonderful Learning Center for just such questions! smile

Welcome to HubPages and I look forward to reading more of your future work!
    Cheers!
    cool

Thanks! Specially the 200 words/paragraph advice.

5. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Photographs! I don't know how much you have changed your hub since you first posted on this thread, but you need some visuals.

It just makes what you wrote look super-cool.

I'm the ex-wife of a super-shark pool player and didn't see anything wrong with the text, then again, I only skim-read.

Isn't that what your target audience will do?

Photos will keep them on the page for longer as well as breaking up everything.

If you can't find any decent ones online, go out and take a few yourself smile

1. K9keystrokes profile image85
      K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. alhawkins profile image60

Haha... I skim too. I think will go to the pool hall and take some pics.

6. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

In the hub that I read, the author speaks like an expert without any information about his credentials, experience, or background. It would be very helpful to know where the author is "coming from."

There is a reason I do not share this information. In the pool hall sub-culture it is all about hiding your game. Talking too much about how much you know is a good sign that you're really a fish.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)