Panda, User Metrics and the Happy User factor

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

This is an interesting, if highly speculative, discussion on what Panda is about: http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/4302140.htm

The stuff from Matt Cutts, a few weeks ago, about page readability as an issue certainly suggests user metrics are starting to be more important.

Also, there have been hints from Google that it is using data from site blocking in the Chrome browser.

The 'happy user'factor someone mentions in the webmasterworld forum might be what Panda is all about.

Just as an aside- I think commercial pages are more prone to seriously negative reactions than other kinds of page. People hate poor sales pitches and bad copy writing more than honest but dull recipe pages.

I reckon, if you can't write a good Amazon or Ebay page, leave it well alone.

Edit: something from SEOmoz on the same subject: http://www.undercoverstrategist.com/blo … anges.html

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I read something similar a while back about toolbar metrics being used. I guess it makes sense. Any business wants happy 'customers/clients'.

3. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

That's one of the major factors I mentioned in my study of Panda on Hubpages and Squidoo back in March: user experience.

The guidelines released by Google about Panda shortly afterwards confirmed it: part of Google's recent tweaks are attempting to measure user experience, satisfaction and interactivity.  Google+ data, social media shares from "authorities" (not everyone, just bigwigs, alas), and search results blocking are all factored in, and Google is continuing to experiment with ways to sift out signal from noise as it tracks how users interact with and find things on your page. User satisfaction will become an ever-stronger Google factor as it finds new ways to measure and analyze user behavior.

That's why I recommended free downloads, buttons to push and poke (e.g. polls and quizzes, where applicable), and of course being brief, to the point and entertaining so that visitors don't leave.

Also, establish what the page covers and what visitors will get out of your page in the first sentence or so. Your trailer/teaser doesn't have to be elaborate, but give them a reason to be there and tell them what you're going to give them (a review, an interesting story about X, information about Y). Then deliver on that promise for the rest of the page.

We have a serious disadvantage because we're trying to earn money from adverts we don't control, which tend to drive a proportion of visitors away. We have to do what we can, especially in the first screen, to capture visitors' attention and give them something worth their time. Or at the least, we have to persuade them that if they read on, they WILL get something worth their time.

Try to write for Sammy the Ten Second Surfer. Envision the rest of the internet crowding around your page, enticing your visitors away like the smell of free chocolate. What have you got that can combat that powerful suction force dragging people away?

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Free chocolate!???
      I can't possibly compete with free chocolate!! smile

2. Will Apse profile image89
      Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The introductory paragraph is the paragraph that I sweat over. Grab someone's attention at the beginning and you have a chance to carry them through to the end.

I also use pictures as the first item on most pages. I want people to be convinced they have found a page that will address the issues they want addressing. My first photos tend to be montages that try to act as instant page summaries.

You tube videos really help keep people on a page too. I have an article on 'chemical weathering'- not especially exciting- that gets an amazing 11 minutes as an 'average time spent on page' metric in analytics. That can only come from the vids that happen to be a perfect match.

4. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

@ Greekgeek - +1 for your post

@Will Apse - very good links!  I especially liked the video on SEOmoz.

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I also heard that now google can search and recognize pictures, duplicate pictures could as duplicate content.  Not sure if that is true....

1. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My word!  Would that mean that anything we have used from Flickr or Wikimedia (or elsewhere) would be duplicate content?  What about our own pictures that someone else may have copied?  This may be going to get even worse than it has been!

2. Will Apse profile image89
      Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are not the only person thinking about this: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/W … &hl=en

It is certainly much easier to find stolen images these days and also easier to complain about it.

I'm not sure Google will hit pages with duplicate images, though. Plenty of images are copyright free. Plenty are publicity photos that the creators are happy to see spread around.

You never know for sure, though.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)