Pumpkin Pie

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Tracy Lynn Conway profile image92
    Tracy Lynn Conwayposted 12 years ago

I LOVE pumpkin pie and I usually use canned pumpkin.  A friend of mine swears that you can't tell the difference between canned or fresh pumpkin when you taste it. What is your opinion?

1. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pumpkin is pumpkin, it is the spices you use in addition to the pumpkin to make the pie, although with canned, there is also preservatives.

Tracy Lynn Conwayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dave Mathews, I hadn't considered the preservatives that are part of the canning process.  So to avoid that you would have to stick with fresh.

1. Dave Mathews profile image61
          Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Tracy Most definitely fresh is best. Check out my Hub recipe for pumpkin pie if you wish to learn how to do it. It is simple and straight forward and tastes ten times better than anything you could buy.

Dave, I will check out your hub, thank you!

1. Cardisa profile image88
              Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with Dave, fresh is best. Have you tried making your pie with coconut milk or cream instead of the regular?

Cardisa,

I have not tried either of these but they sound like the secret to an even more delicious pie.

1. Cardisa profile image88
                  Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I make mine with coconut milk, lots of cinnamon and ground cloves to add some spice.

I use a whole wheat cracker crust. You grind the crackers in the food processor then you mix with sugar and add your melted butter and pat into pie pan.

I will have to try the coconut milk and the whole wheat crackers, these sound like great ideas!

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Your post has brought back pleasant memories. Thanks. smile

Paradigmsearch, you're welcome! Will you be having some this Fall season?

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I will now. smile

3. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 12 years ago

http://www.sirenmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/pumpkin-pie.jpg

The difference is the "COOK". I've tasted canned pumpkin pie that was out of this world...and fresh pumpkin pie that is out of this world...it is all up to the one doing the baking!

That photo is so good I think it will cost me some calories. I hadn't thought of baker making the difference.  What is interesting to me is that when it comes to cooking 'fresh' is always best but this may be an exception.

4. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

I just published a Hub of pumpkin recipes.  (No pies, though.) While I was doing some research about it, I learned a little bit more about the various varieties of pumpkin.  The common one around Halloween (jack-o'-lantern) is sometimes thought to be blander and more watery (in cooking) than the canned varieties.  It helps to drain the cooked pumpkin, if you use your own.  Personally, I like to experiment - sometimes I cook my own, sometimes I use canned.

That is interesting! I hadn't thought of there being different varieties.

5. tonymead60 profile image83
    tonymead60posted 12 years ago

i made some this year and found it very bland. I added several spices to it and still it said nothing. The remainder ended up in an Indian style curry, and that did it. So next time we ave pumpkin it will be in a curry

Tonymead60, funny! I hope the curry was good.

6. ActiviaUK profile image57
    ActiviaUKposted 12 years ago

Tracy what's your recipe? I've never had pumpkin pie before, but there is a first time for everything! It's good to have recipes for foods that are in season ....yes fresh is always best!

ActivaUK,

I have to admit that I use the recipe on the pumpkin can label. I have had great luck with this and other label recipes. 

Here is the recipe:

3/4 cup sugar (I substitute honey as I don't use sugar)
      1/2 tsp salt
      1 tsp. cinnamon
      1/2 tsp ginger
      1/4 ground cloves
      2 large eggs
      15 oz pumpkin
      12 oz evaporated milk
      9 inch pie shell

Mix the first 5 ingredients in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl, stir in pumpkin, spice mixture, gradually stir in milk and pour into pie crust. Bake in preheated 425 oven for 15 minutes then reduce temp to 350 for 40-50 min until knife inserted near center comes out clean.  Cool on wire rack for 2 hours, serve or refrigerate.

(If you want to substitute honey and the recipe calls for sugar just use half.  If the recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar use 1/2 cup honey)

I agree with you about eating food that is in season. I am lucky to be able to pick local fruit in summer such as blueberries and peaches and then apples come fall.  Do pumpkins even grow in your area?  I would love to know if you try the recipe and what you think of it.

7. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

so ,do you like the pumpkin pie warm or cold/
    i prefer a little warm.

Stacie L.,
      I hadn't even considered this. I can't say I have a preference really, I think I love the pie so much that warm or chilled are both good for me.

8. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 12 years ago

Pumpkin pie is gross no matter how you make it

9. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 12 years ago

I like it both ways but agree that fresh pumpkin is better. It has a firmer texture and deeper color.

10. ActiviaUK profile image57
    ActiviaUKposted 12 years ago

Thank you for the recipe Tracy, I look forward to trying it. Of course Pumpkin's can grow in my area...with a little care and love. Re. Summer berry picking, I love it. Always have since I was young, even if more do end up in my belly then in the basket! Fat free natural Activia yogurt is the best accompaniment to a bowl of any fruit ;-).
    I will be sure to keep you updated on my pie experimenting.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)