I'm planning on starting my own website - which niche do you suggest?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (20 posts)
  1. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 12 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I'll be having holidays in Jan and would like to start my own website. It could be in any niche as I'm good at all other than finance. What would be best? I need a niche that has low competition in the search engines. Any tips? Just mention the niche and I'll do the research.
    Thanks
    Brandon

1. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This guy shares good niches that he doesn't have time to develop himself, so you *mind* something good there >> http://www.viperchill.com/

His blog is well worth following too. Posts some great information smile

EDIT: *might find* DUH tongue

lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Susana - I'm off to check it out smile

2. lobobrandon profile image89

I did thanks smile

2. Paraglider profile image87
      Paragliderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Check out Synesthography - it's the coming thing.

But if that doesn't appeal, how about Reticulated Moleskin Wipes?

Oh wow! Will check these out smile Thanks

nope I'm not doing those smile thanks anyway paraglider there's 0 traffic big_smile

1. Paraglider profile image87
            Paragliderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know - I was joking smile

lol smile

3. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Um, it needs to be something you are actually an expert on and very interested in--we can't tell you that.

Ya  I know that smile Thanks for replying.
        I'm an expert in the gardening niche, health niche and travel

1. psycheskinner profile image82
          psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

health has more profitable niches generally as their are products associated with it that address peoples problems.  Just look for undeserved chronic conditions.

Thanks for the help psycheskinner will do some research and get a sitemap ready before I begin writing.

2. QuestionMaster profile image78
    QuestionMasterposted 12 years ago

People who have a good niche are unlikely to share it.

The best thing you can do is learn about keyword research and find a good niche yourself.

Just remember - topics like finance, weight loss and SEO are usually quite saturated so it's best to steer clear of them.

Ya that's what I wanted to know smile
      I'm good at research and SEO; but building backlinks - I've got to practice that smile
      Thanks for answering big_smile

1. brittanytodd profile image89
        brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

QM is saying that those niches are way too crowded to have yours stand out.  You should focus on something unique and particular and also be an expert in the subject; it will give you more credit on search engines.  I have a blog on Hawaiian Funk and it does pretty well because it is a pretty untouched niche.  Good luck!

Yup I understood what he meant big_smile and thanks for the concern - I have a website on 11th & 12th grade Indian education (my state in particular) it was pretty untouched as well and all my pages are on the first page rank 1 for their keywords but since it's not in vogue to research online here in India - especially amongst students at that age I get a meager 12 visits a day

1. brittanytodd profile image89
            brittanytoddposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a bummer.  Sorry about the confusion.  I thought you were saying you were going to write about SEO.  I think music blogs, movie blogs and tv show blogs on really specific genres and artists/actors is pretty good for getting a lot of views.  Good luck with your blogs!

Hmmm, I'll check those out then smile
              I meant am good at keyword research and SEO not write about SEO hehe big_smile

3. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

If you're asking others about Niche then that means you don't have any interest to stick into that niche. Trust me, that's the case. Remember that if you don't have any interest or remote idea about any particular niche then it shows in your writing. If you're planning for hiring writers or buying content from others to build that niche site then it's totally different matter.

Find something you like and write it down in a list. Search for the market potential of those niches and then dive into the one which is profitable. Just because personal finance, forex, SEO and health niches are crowded doesn't mean you can't compete in it. Everyday many TV celebs and their cameraman or fitness trainer starts a site in one of these niches and perform better than the previous performers. It's about timing, connection, promotion, little bit of content and lots of show-off.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)