Receiving traffic from a traffic exchange message. How do I fix this?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (21 posts)
  1. PegCole17 profile image92
    PegCole17posted 12 years ago

Today I got a warning violation on one of my hubs and I have no idea what it means or how to fix it. This hub has been copied and plagerized for months by people on RedGage and Digital Writer and FreeAdWebsites and other places. I've reported most of these and tried to get them to stop posting my work without my permission. Now this message from HubPages:

"HubPages prohibits the use of automated click and impression generating tools and does not allow traffic from sources that generate clicks or impressions such as paid-to-click, paid-to-surf, autosurf, interstitial display, and click-exchange programs. Your Hub may be unpublished as a result. If it is unpublished, it can not be republished until all such traffic has been discontinued for at least one week."

What do I need to do now? I don't want them to unpublish my hub just because people are using it without my permission. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Can anyone help me?
    Thank you.
    Peg

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Go to the Hub, click on the stats button at the top, and then select the "week" tab.  That will show you the sites that are referring you the most traffic over the last 7 days.  Most likely the traffic exchange will be in that list, and it shouldn't be too hard to identify.  If you have further questions, contact us.

PegCole17posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Paul. I followed your directions and found the site with the most traffic. It is not one to which I knowingly subscribed. I don't usually go out to sites like that. How do I fix the problem so my Hub won't be unpublished?

Your help is very kindly appreciated. I was working with Jason via email and he identified this unknown traffic source for me. Now what do I do to get them to stop doing whatever? I'm not sure I understand how this happened or what they're doing.

Thank you so much.
        Peg

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

Have you considered contacting admin and asking if they can provide you with more information?  After all, they have access to statistics about your Hubs here that you don't...

Thank you. I was just trying to figure out how to do this. First time.
      Peg

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Email team @ HubPages. 

Have you been posting links to your work on social bookmarking sites and directories?  Traffic exchanges are a trap for newbies, because they look very similar to a social site, so I've known several new Hubbers sign up for them without understanding the danger.

If you signed up for any site where members are encouraged to visit each other's sites, that's a traffic exchange, and it's not allowed.

As for removing your work from places like RedGage, are you filing a proper DCMA?

Hi Marisa,
          I do post on Facebook using the share link but usually don't visit those type of traffic sites other than Twitter and Blogger. I have a lot of traffic on the hub that received the warning. A lot of spam comes in with links attached. I routinely deny these comments and delete them forever.

Anyway, if you could help me fix this issue I would be so grateful. Thank you.

Peg

PS I received a response from RedGage and the guy who was using my hub without permission added a direct link to my site here so they couldn't prevent that or something like that. I haven't filed a DCMA but I guess it's time I did.

1. IzzyM profile image87
            IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had a similar problem the other day with one of my blogs being linked to traffic exchange site.
            I wrote to them, there will be a 'contact us' button or email address for them on the site.
            Tell them your url, and the exact address of where the traffic is generated from - those sites usually have multiple pages.
            Tell them you want your link off, that you didn't put it there, and that as an Adsense user your account is at risk because of Google's TOS.

I wrote and got a reply within a few hours, and my problem was resolved.

That means I have to go to that traffic site, right? The one that is showing in my stats as high for that week. I can do that but I didn't want to create any unintentional link to them just by visiting. Guess that's nuts. Anyhow.

I don't understand the part about telling them the exact address of the links. Sorry I'm not very technical. Just don't get it yet. Could you explain further?

Thank you.
              Peg

1. IzzyM profile image87
                IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Go to the site. it won't harm your computer. Find out how to contact them. there should be a 'contact us' button on the front page.

You can see the address in your stats where those visitors are coming from?

Click on it, and that should take you to the page where your link is.

If it doesn't, it may take you to the site's main page, however, what you want to do is simply copy the link address and add it to the email or contact form you use to contact the site.

Imagine the site's name is trafficexchangeRus.com and it is possible the visitors you are getting come from trafficexchangeRus.com/12345

You want to be able to tell the site's admin that your traffic is coming from trafficexchangeRus.com/12345 so that they can immediately find your link and remove it.

However, if you don't understand that bit, don't worry, just make sure you give them your hub's address so they can find it and take it off.

Take its URL from the bar along the top where is says hubpages.com/forum etc just now, after you have opened the hub in question, and send it to them, alongside the other info I said earlier. Mark it urgent, as your Adsense account is at risk just now.

Thank you so much. I'll do this.
                  You are very nice to explain it so that I could actually understand the instructions. I'll work on this now.
                  Best regards,
                  Peg

1. profile image0
                    SirDentposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It may be beneficial to edit the hub and make it non commercial until you get this straightened out.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
            Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Peg, if someone posts an excerpt (not the whole article) on another site, and includes a direct link to your Hub, it's a good thing.  It's called a backlink and it won't harm you at all - in fact it will improve your ranking on Google and lead people to your Hub.

As for the DCMA - my advice is, if you're going to contact people who have stolen your work, use formal DCMA wording in the very first email.  That shows you're serious.

Hi Marissa, Before I complained to the admin of the site it was the whole article copied without any reference at all to me. Perhaps it was a mistake. Once I heard back from them, the article had been changed to show a link my article on HubPages. No concern now.

Just wanted to take a moment to thank you so much for all the words of advice and help you gave me.

Whoo Hoo! I just saw that the warning notice has been removed from my article. I am so relieved. Thank you, thank you HubPages.

Thank you to each of you that offered me help and advice. Much appreciated.

I'm very grateful to Jason Menayan who responded to my inquiry late on Friday afternoon. THANK you soo much, Jason.

3. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

As google doesn't allow Frames on websites that display adsense, all the clicks and views are likely to be discarded. On safer side, ask this question on adsense forums so that you can get some concrete answer for how to avoid ads from showing via such sites.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)