Unwanted email thread - is there one?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (29 posts)
  1. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

This morning I got a message via Hubpages from a new hubber trolling for women. I wish to avoid this person and remember something about being able to block people from sending you messages, but cannot find the thread with instructions. Does anyone know the link to it?

Also, I think I know the answer to this already (i.e. no), but is there any way to block that type of message from ever coming in the first place without changing my settings so that *nobody* can contact me? I think I either have to put up withthese emails or never get any, am I correct?

Flora

1. Debby Bruck profile image65
      Debby Bruckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dear Flora ~ Sorry you have to deal with this type of thing. Been there. Block 'em. Set your email filters with selected words that automatically trash that type of email. Good luck. Debby

FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

oh, so that's how you block the email. Thanks.

2. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is bogus behaviour, report him!

If it was me I would publicly produce his name so that we all know the predators among us!

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, er, let's not be too hasty to judge.

I mean who among us, perhaps even on this very thread, has not been tempted by the sins of the flesh.

A harmless email here, a suggestion there, perhaps a comment - all made in a rash moment after a small drink or two.

Let's say no more about it and I or the, er, hubber involved, will mend their ways or move onto more amenable pastures.

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
          Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If it was someone that was not a member then it is understandable but this is not a dating site.  At least I do not think it is?

The hubber is responsible for his actions without excuse.  If he did not want his name to be divulged he would have refrained from sending solicitations through the HP contact.

From looking at Flora's profile she is an honorable, dedicated, and talented writer/artist.  Nothing on her profile gives any inclination that she was seeking such e-mails.

Excellent work Flora, I am very impresssed.

Thank-you very much, Reality Bytes. As for Mark, he  writes a lot of satire here at hubpages. He can be quite serious too sometimes, but he prefers satire.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
          Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

THE VOICE OF REASON!

3. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Stick figures do not have the body mass to tolerate alcohol well......smile

That is true. smile

4. FloraBreenRobison profile image59

Mark. I had no idea you felt that way about me, especially since as far as I know, you've never read anything I've written? smile  I'm one of your followers, not the other way around...It's true that you do have more than one account though...

I am not a great reader Flora, but I will make an effort for you.  But not the Haiku. I don't do poetry.

I should have two ID's. Then I could start writing the proper stuff, that which gets paid.

I went to your hubs.  Man you get a lot of comments!

Oh, I know you aren't a fan of poetry and I write a LOt of it. Not everyone is a fan of poetry. As for writing that gets paid-well that certainly isn't poetry!
              Oh, and I wasn't trying to suggest you had to read my hubs. I follow lots of people who don't follow me and that's fine by me.  I read your work because you write great satire and that's my favourite form of humour.

Thanks Flora and here's a general apology from me to all.

I don't read much and I comment even less.

I seem to comment all the time smile In my opinion, you shouldn't bother commenting unless you have something you want to say.

2. Pcunix profile image89
                Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We were talking about poetry at our newly formed monthly Writers Club meeting here.

I'm not generally a fan of poetry, but now and then something does move me.  At this meeting one woman read Robert Frost's "Dust of Snow" - http://www.online-literature.com/frost/743/ 

Who could find fault with that?

But then two other members read their own work, both quite long - one so long that we ran out of time. 

Ordinarily, twenty minutres of amateur poetry would be enough to numb me senseless.  Yet both of these were extraordinarily good and we all agreed on that - nobody was just being polite. 

The authors both expressed their gratitude for our praise and comments but also expressed frustration as to what to do with such works.  One had tried to publish his with (as expected) no luck and the other hadn't even bothered.

Of course I had the perfect answer for them, didn't I?  Next month I'm going to introduce them all to HubPages!

Great! I'm always looking for strong poetry.

1. Pcunix profile image89
                    Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll be sure to point them at your profile.

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image59

Okay, his hubber name is DonMory. He has identified himself as "Prince" Don Mory in the email. He has no hubs written.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

You would have to go in and change your settings. However, if you receive an email from anyone and it's unsolicited, then SPAM or Abuse the email. Meaning, click the link of either those. It will be reported to Staff.

3. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

Thank-you Cagsil. I'm not a mail order bride.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Really? Good to know. lol

Btw- you're welcome.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81

Well if you were, you'd make a good 'un.

Er.

I mean that in a humorous way.

Not that the idea of you being one would be humorous.

Oh dear.

I know what you meant, Mark.

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Definitely - I think you should report it.

Well.....if you thought it was creepy or threatening, report it.

In other words....you could always reply to it, as I would, with "hey, fuck off."

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Wesman, never reply to an email sent to you that you don't know. Otherwise, that individual will automatically get your true email. HP only provides a forwarding system, while hiding your email account.

I really appreciate Hubpages being a go between.

5. DIY Backlinks profile image57
    DIY Backlinksposted 12 years ago

What a tool, just report him.

6. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 12 years ago

Haha! I got one of those emails, too, but I don't think it was here on HubPages. I think it was on a different writing site. I didn't respond, but it sure gave me a chuckle.

It was something along the lines of,

"I know we've never met, but I think we could make it work..." and it had some compliments about my writing and something like, "you must make a lot" or something. And then there was some really sexist things in there that I suppose he considered romantic.

I'm sorry, but...

A: If he's sexist enough to think that I'm available to him like that, then I have to right to be sexist, in return, and demand that he be the breadwinner.

B: I'm not a mail order bride.

C: I'm not interested in the type of guy that would troll writers profiles looking for a date.

D: He was from India. I'm not interested in a long distance relationship.

E: He said something about me being a programmer and that being attractive. I WAS livid. That just ugh... I could go into a full rubric of reasons why I was aggravated by his short message.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)