Is being overweight a real problem?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Sottway profile image68
    Sottwayposted 12 years ago

Within today's society it is pretty much the norm to be overweight...

Is it a real problem though?

1. Alecia Murphy profile image72
      Alecia Murphyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Being overweight or obese to the point where you cannot work or be productive everyday is a real problem. Studies have shown obesity drives up the risk for people to catch other diseases and that drives up medical costs. It shouldn't be the norm to be overweight, but to be healthy. That means if you can't get up the stairs without huffing and puffing, then you should strive to fix that. But if you maintain a healthy lifestyle and happen to be a bit overweight, I don't see any problem with someone having a couple of extra lbs. Not everyone's going to be a size 2.

1. Sottway profile image68
        Sottwayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree completely with your reply Alecia! Especially about how productive someone can be, even with a few extra lbs...

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is a problem when it is a problem--that is, reducing health, happiness and/or life expectancy.

3. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's certainly not a fake problem...

2. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 12 years ago

being overweight is one of the basic things that can cause your health to go really wrong - so many chronic ailments all started with being overweight.  At the very least it stresses your body, making it harder to move around!  So yes, its important not to be overweight.  Your body can be compared to a fine engine on an expensive automobile - if you give it the right oil and gasoline and don't overuse it or abuse it, this auto will last a long, long, time.  But if you don't maintain things and one thing goes wrong, like the water pump or the battery - and you don't fix or replace that water pump or battery, then other things will go wrong too!  so if you're overweight you can strain your heart, your lungs, your spleen and liver and pancreas - your thyroid and other hormone producing functions can become so out of balance that all your organs will diminish and you will become ill.  Does that convince you to lose the extra weight?  Hope so.

3. AshtonFirefly profile image70
    AshtonFireflyposted 12 years ago

Yes I think it is a problem, as it concerns health. Obesity can lead to alot of other illnesses such as heart disease, diabetes, etc. I feel quite sad that is has become more or less the norm.
      However, I think that people's self-respect and self-esteem should not be as damaged by it as it has been. Oftentimes, overweight people are regarded with judgement; and those who are overweight feel that they are ugly or that they are somehow less valuable because of it.
      So although I feel that obesity is dangerous physically, I feel that it should not cause people to lose their self-respect or dignity. I know this from first-hand experience. I used to be quite overweight and as a result was unconfident, shy, angry at myself, hated myself, etc. I did eventually lose the weight, but I wish that I had not wasted years of my life hating myself because of the judgement I received from others.

4. wilson51288 profile image58
    wilson51288posted 12 years ago

Yes, obesity is an unwanted health issues in today's society. I would suggest to keep weight in control. Obesity give rise to many problem but heart and blood circulation problem which is a major issue now a days even in teens. Always try to have healthy food and do exercise regularly to keep your body healthy. Anything in excess or lacking can be bad. Same goes with health.

5. Max Dalton profile image83
    Max Daltonposted 12 years ago

In line with the comments from everyone else, yes, it's a problem. I also think it's one of the simplest things people can avoid. The biggest problem I see is that people who want to live a healthier lifestyle often don't ease into it and go full tilt right out of the gate, causing them to get quickly discouraged. People need to start simple. If you like watching TV, you can probably find a gym with tons of tons in front of a variety of treadmills. If you can't get out of your house, try doing some pushups during commercials. And if you can't find half an hour every other day for a quick walk, you must be a very important person.

6. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

It's not a problem for me.

7. ftclick profile image57
    ftclickposted 12 years ago

2/3 of Americans think it is not a problem to be overweight (25+ pounds). While other healthy people who they bump into are not the norm now.  Isn't that something? Overweight is not a problem? Be serious. You as a employee or business owner are now more prone to:

1.) missing days of work due to NOT being healthy
    2.) more prone to sicknesses and diseases
    3.) as a parent, prone to have kids who are overweight
    4.) as a consumer allowing the manufacturers to produce more crap foods since you consume the junk.
    5.) lower educational standards; facts are there too. Alumni from top schools are largely NOT overweight. Highly educated, CEO's, leaders and the ilk are not largely overweight. You may give me one or two while I can give you 100 fit leaders and CEOs.

People who interview for a job and are overweight are more likely to see the fitter person hired than someone who is lazy in other areas of life. When you weigh both applicants, all other things being equal. The evidence is overwhelming. 

So, don't be content with taking the short cut or excuses of no time to work-out and/or eat healthier.

There are tons more examples and facts. It is really incredible this question would be asked but I understand if their immediate community is 25+ pds overweight. I largely blame it on the food manufacturers because I can go overseas and get to the right weight simply by not having such abundancies of breaded junk or substitute sugar like the US does.  I think people eat the same are less active but there is more chemical junk in foods today than 20 to 30 yrs ago.

If you are a very important person, don't you think it is in your best interest to remain around and be at your utmost health.

8. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

It's a problem if it results in your health being damaged, or if it makes getting around more difficult. You only have one body and being alive is a gift, so people should think twice about abusing their body. Also, many people in the world are unfortunate enough to be born into situations where very little food is available. I think, with such injustices in the world we should appreciate that to be the case, and not endlessly gorge ourselves just because we can.

9. creativebutterfly profile image60
    creativebutterflyposted 12 years ago

Yes it is a health problem if you are really overweight and it should be addressed for lots of reasons

10. profile image58
    HarveySmith123posted 12 years ago

Being overweight can also affect a person's joints, breathing, sleep, mood, and energy levels. So being overweight can affect a person's entire quality of life.

11. rlaha profile image59
    rlahaposted 12 years ago

Yes, however it depends upon how much overweight you are. If you are up to 10 pounds overweight for your height, and you have a within normal range BMI (body mass index which is Weight in Kilograms divided by height in Meters), then you don't need to worry about your weight. The BMI is the most important thing here, more than the actual weight.  If you are 10 pounds overweight and your BMI is above the normal range for your height and weight, there could be some serious health risks such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes.  The best thing would be to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables and get exercise to keep yourself fit and to keep your BMI within the normal range.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)