Feature: Guide on Twitter/FB/G+ Etiquette in Learning Center

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)
  1. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 12 years ago

I've seen lots of hubbers tweeting like:

Check out my latest hub - hubpages.com/I-like-chicken

Check out my latest hub - hubpages.com/I-like-liver

Check out my latest hub - hubpages.com/Meow-Mix

Check out my latest hub - hubpages.com/Meow-Mix

Check out my latest hub - hubpages.com/please-deliver

It's none of my business WHAT people tweet, but I feel that people would have more success if they knew more about self-promotion on sites like twitter, facebook, G+, and the likes. A few guides touch on the subject, but it would be nice for there to be something more comprehensive.

2. brittanytodd profile image89
    brittanytoddposted 12 years ago

Maybe you should write a hub about it.  I see this a lot too and wonder if anyone clicks...

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

For what it's worth...

I tweet my hubs just like I tweet Yahoo and other articles. I do nothing do differentiate them since they are all equally worthy. big_smile

4. paradigmsearch profile image60

Also.

If a news event comes along, and I have a hub that relates; I'll tweet the hub with a tracker code tucked in it. Again with no differentiation; it's just another article I happen to deem worthy. Which happens to be true. big_smile

5. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 12 years ago

I've been so busy with my offline career since the last panda that I pretty much stopped all self promotion using Twitter or Facebook.  I haven't written a single hub since March of this year but the seeds that I have planted have kept this account alive and kicking and producing.

First, if you're going to promote hubs via FB, use a fanpage and not your regular account.  Your friends and family don't want to see your self promotions.  Same with Twitter, don't use a personal account to self promote. For Twitter, you need to be consistent with your content and your followers to get any real results.  One of my accounts has over 2000 followers and generates probably 100 visits to my hubs per month.  Those 2000 followers came from endless 'friending' with no clear substance of what, or who I wanted to attract.

My other Twitter accounts (I have 15 of them and I do no friend requests on them at all) have between 200 and 500 followers each but they are each targeted specifically for a niche and drive roughly 100 visitors each per week to the content I promote here and on my blogs. 

The point is, that for self promotion to work on those formats, it has to be targeted to a specif niche of followers that have a vested interest in the information you are promoting.

FB Fanpages work the same way, people 'Like' a page because of the information they can receive from it, so create as many fanpages as you can for the niches that you want to promote and remember to constantly update those pages or you stand to lose those that initially became a fan in the first place.

6. paradigmsearch profile image60

And I also give FB my regards in the same way. As in posting all interesting stuff, not just my own interesting stuff.

However, I avoid G+. Seems to possibly be too many booby traps there.

7. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I totally agree with Richard. I do not want to keep announcing hubs and other writing to people I interact with personally on FB and Twitter, unless it is something that is very closely related to their interests. If any of them listed every single thing they wrote regardless of whether it fell into my range of interests, I would delete them off my list. I use a second Twitter account for that purpose. I did set up a page on FB, but don't think it is much use.

8. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 12 years ago

I get a lot of self-promotional @s on Twitter:

@mytwittername Hey, check out my latest hub hubpages.com/hub

In my opinion, unless I asked you what your latest hub is, this is never okay.

1. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But really, that is your own fault... Nobody forced you to follow the person that is self promoting in that way.  Only follow people that share content you are interested in and then links to that content will be the only types that show on your wall.

I made the mistake on my first Twitter account of following everyone and anyone and now the wall on that account is so cluttered I don't even pay attention to it.

My other accounts are so targeted and I follow so few people. But of those few I get exactly what I was hoping to get and those that follow me should only expect me to share the type of content that is related to that account.  They're not my friends and I'm only a broker of information.  Information that they chose to follow.

1. melbel profile image93
        melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You don't have to be following a person to get an @ from them. Anyone on Twitter can @ you.

LOL that's true.  On my largest account, I don't even bother to read the feed.  On my smaller niche accounts, I can't recall ever getting a request like that except in their "I'm following you" email alert which I don't read and just delete.

I know that sounds rude but like I mentioned they are not my friends and if I'm not following them any request that come like that to me are treated as spam and deleted.

I guess in my case that the @me stuff is so shortly lived in my feed that I don't even care.

9. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

getting people to click through from the limited format of a tweet or facebook share is an art in its own.

The way I see it, it can be broken down to two methods.

1. Branded accounts that follow one niche and only shares info within that niche.

If you have 20-30 different topics you write about - then you will have 20-30 twitter accounts (and possibly facebook fan pages/blogs/websites)

The followers are there of their won volition and they can come and go as they please.

You will find that clever headlines and open ended questions work great for clickthrough to the article.

Keeping interested followers in the twitter format requires doing more than just sharing your own articles usually ... dont forget to tweet some news, industry news, related funny sayings etc. .. be entertaining and informative

2. Have a super account and just spam it without mercy with everything you do and hope your followers stick around (its funny, they do) or continue to engage with you.

Getting versed in hashtags and being creative enough to integrate your theme around trending topics can work wonders.

I dont know which works better .. I do both smile... but I stopped tracking twitter along time ago as it requires more work than I care to invest to build and engage with followers that arent likley to convert to sales/income. The twitter format is the lowest of the low in regards to attention span/intent.

You dont go to twitter to buy something, you go to catch news and maybe get a laugh.

I do know that its quite naive to start a tweet with "check out my new hub"

what the hell is a hub, (most will think) as your tweet gets buried under a landslide of better composed and eyecatching tweets ;p

I don't think you and I ever discussed this but we have the same strategy and concerns with the use of Twitter/FB

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)