Can someone explain how to use Twitter to promote hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Guru-C profile image75
    Guru-Cposted 14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Perhaps someone has already covered this topic. If so, I apologize.

I'm pretty active in Facebook but have never tweeted except to say, "I taught I taw a putty tat." 

I've linked to my hubs in Facebook and must admit, when I do so my page views spike somewhat but I can't say I have an overwhelming loyal body of readers. 

Something tells me that a gull like me might do well in an avian environment.

Please enlighten me!!!!

2. Internet-Profit profile image60
    Internet-Profitposted 14 years ago

I have been writing a few articles on Twitter.  The latest one http://hubpages.com/hub/Whats-Your-Purp … On-Twitter may throw some light on your question.

3. aniketgore profile image61
    aniketgoreposted 14 years ago

Just increase readers on twitters and post a hub link on it. It will be enough.

1. Reg Brittain profile image60
      Reg Brittainposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've only be Twittering in earnest for a day, and I can already say this is exactly write.

If you're interested, I wrote a hub on understanding Twitter (because I am finally get it).  I refer to this here to point out a link on that hub to a Guy Kawasaki article.  He calls himself the person who has gotten the most value out of twittering.

He'll show the way.

4. BeatsMe profile image54
    BeatsMeposted 14 years ago

If you want to promote your hubs. You should also join twitterfeed.com. Once there, submit your RSS feed to twitterfeed. Twitterfeed will automatically update your tweets with your latest hub. It'll create a shortened link of your hub, only the latest. So, from there, you won't be able to promote your older hubs.

If you want to promote your older hubs. Join http://www.mister-wong.com/ and when asked for your twitter account, submit your twitter account name and password. Once you bookmark one of your hubs here, this site will give you a shortened link that you can also promote on twitter.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Or, you can just put a link to your hub directly into your Twitter feed...

6. frogpatch profile image59
    frogpatchposted 14 years ago

I make tinyurls from my hubs URLs and rotate tweets by saying something like, "What the heck is Fish Cakes and Spaghetti? Its a Times Square Memory www.tinyurl.com/fcspag Enjoy." That is enough to arouse interest of a couple people. If I had 16,000 followers instead of 160 it would bring a lot more!

1. Reg Brittain profile image60
      Reg Brittainposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I rejoined (starting a new handle) yesterday.  I already have over 100 followers, as of about 20 minutes ago.

Doing that was not in my plan, but I last night I read some Guy Kawasaki posts.  If you want followers, follow others.  I'm already seeing a traffic boost to my hubs from just a few tweets, and I'm looking forward to that exploding.

7. lafenty profile image68
    lafentyposted 14 years ago

When I publish a new hub I put the url in my twitter feed.  I don't know if it helps, but I figure it can't hurt.  Like frogpatch says, having a lot of followers would help a lot.

8. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

But, if someone re-tweets it can go a lot further.

9. ripplemaker profile image77
    ripplemakerposted 14 years ago

Gosh there is still so much to learn...tweeting? tinyurl? groan... I better rub sleep from my eyes and re read this post to let it sink in.  Thanks for asking this question though.  :-)

10. Curious Traveller profile image68
    Curious Travellerposted 14 years ago

Twitter is something that totally escapes me. As a professional Internet marketer, I have spent endless hours trying to determine what possible value it can hold - I have still to come up with one tiny possible indication of same, despite endless assurances across many sites that it is a wonder site.

1. BristolBoy profile image62
      BristolBoyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am the same.  However, without even putting my own articles on Twitter I have managed to get a lot of traffic to my hubs from Twitter.  In fact, it is increasing all the time, which has to be good news smile.  This is despite me not Tweeting on my own Twitter account.

11. Guru-C profile image75

Wow, Thanks for all this great advice.  I apologize I didn't respond sooner. I had checked back and hadn't gotten any answers for a few days so thought nobody cared.  But today I looked and here were all of you.  Awesome!   I wish you a great, great day!!!

12. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

Set up a twitter feed at twitterfeed.com and use your personal rss feed. Each time you post the hub will show on your twitter account. You can do the same for blog rss feeds, too. That or you can just manually enter the url on your twitter update. I'd include the title, or a shortened version of the title, if the title is too long.

13. jcales profile image54
    jcalesposted 14 years ago

good info I never tried twitterfeed.com Going there right now as I typ...

14. Dolores Monet profile image96
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

I'm with Ripplemaker. It's never enough. But learning is, of course, good for the old brain. And if you want to 'get ahead' and make your money on here, you gotta learn the ropes.
         I checked in to twitter and it is driving me INSANE. They are saying things like 'I sat outside on my deck and had a cup of coffee.' Is that code or something?
         So I go back in a few days later and find that I am being followed. That sounds kind of creepy.
         So then i attempted to follow my own freakin' husband who was standing right there telling me what to type in and could not find him.
         Don't get me started on the RSS freakin' feed. I've been trying to figure it out for hours AND I JUST CAN'T DO IT AND FEEL LIKE I AM LOSING MY MIND!
    Sorry to be stupid and screaming.....

1. ripplemaker profile image77
      ripplemakerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hahahahaha I'm so frustrated with the internet connection right now but you just made me laugh.  Sometimes I understand a bit and sometimes I don't :-)  SO I just do a bit of stuff that I understand and leave the rest to chance.  Gosh, I'm also a nitwit when it comes to this. ::

2. BeatsMe profile image54
      BeatsMeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To post your rss, go to your profile. Point your mouse to your rss and copy your rss url onto twitterfeed. It will look something like http://hubpages.com/author/yourname/latest/?rss

Hope this helps.

1. Dolores Monet profile image96
        Dolores Monetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Beatsme, I think I had the whole idea of RSS feed wrong, so will attempt to follow your instructions for the twitter.

15. Guru-C profile image75

Thank you again, everyone!  This is very informative and I'm going to try out the suggestions.

A big question:  What is a tiny url?

Many thanks!

16. Mimbi profile image62
    Mimbiposted 14 years ago

The basic flow of traffic to anywhere from twitter is this:

Get people to follow you.
    Tweet your hub.
    Gratz on traffic.

It doesn't get any simpler and can't work any more extensively then that.

-Mimbi

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How? If it's just a case of a lot of Hubbers following each other, then surely it's a waste of time, because you're already reaching those people through the HubPages fan system.

17. houseplus profile image61
    houseplusposted 14 years ago

I think I am in the wrong place, but I admit I am a twitter freak.
    Yep I only use Social Media for getting the word out.

Maybe I should make a hub, lol

As for Twitter, yes it gets you hits, you have to be active when people retweet your work it starts paying off better.

There are over 200 twitter tools, some are a waste of time and some are great.  Again just like you guys do so well on hubs connecting with your auidences, its the same principle.

1. profile image0
      Iphigeniaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I get a lot of traffic to my hubs from Twitter.

I set up a tracking url via my HubPages 'Account' page - and each time I publish a Hub I add the tracker to its url, then this second url is the that I submit to Twitter.

I used to manually add each hub . I had a word doc with all the shortened urls and twitter text listed and just used to copy-peste. VERY TIE CONSUMING.

I now used TweetLater - you can program tweets to go out regularly - which is great for me this month during the hub challenge. You can also set up 'spining tweets' - for each url you want to tweet you can write a series of different text - each time that url is programmed to be tweeted the next text in the system goes out.  I have about 3 different texts for each url - it looks better to readers, and different texts might catch a different readership (eg. a recipe/menu - could text about it as a romantic meal for 2; then text about it as a great vegetarian meal; then text it as a good alternative sunday lunch ....but it is the same url ...)

Tweet Later also helps manage followers and followees and that ALL IMPORTANT re-tweeting - the more you retwett, the more people will retweet you.

Also, on Tweet Later you can have as many twitter accounts as you want, you can set up a keyword search to help find targetted followers etc

There are other twitter apps out there that do similar stuff - you really need to try them out.

I had a 'Twitter Day a bout 3 weeks ago which was spent purely checking out all the apps and exploring hàow different people use Twitter - it was well worth it.  But I'm still no expert - it's just that I was able to organise my use of Twitter to my tastes and to my best advantages re: promotion.

1. jennshon4 profile image60
        jennshon4posted 14 years agoin reply to this

This greatly intrigues me as I have been reluctant to add another account to an already huge list of accounts but now might reconsider Twitter as a viable option for promotion.  Thank you.

18. Raven King profile image59
    Raven Kingposted 14 years ago

intriguing....hmmm....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)