A new question ticker

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)
  1. rbe0 profile image61
    rbe0posted 12 years ago

Have a scrolling bar with text in it across the bottom of the forums webpage that displays new questions as they are asked.

1. maxravi profile image45
      maxraviposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In my opinion it make no sense if it is at bottom of the webpage.It should be at top.

2. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This isn't that important - there are many more features that need to be added before this. Hub Pages is a relatively young site and growing rapidly, so problems already present need to be solved then the site can become prettier

2. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

Young site? lol

Anyway, tickers of any type are annoying be it top or bottom. This is not a social network.

1. lobobrandon profile image88

Skyfire - I said relatively young site smile The internet is more than 5 years old you know big_smile

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seconded.

3. Danette Watt profile image83
      Danette Wattposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, having running feed across the bottom would be annoying, even more so on the top.

3. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 12 years ago

I wouldn't call it a young site in comparison to the large number of related sites. Young in comparison to symbolics.com, but old in an engineering and 'feature' aspect. After a year or two, any site should 'have it together' when it comes to features. (Not that HP doesn't have it together.)

I do agree that this would be low on HP's priority list given recent bugs and the fact that they are about to roll out even more features.

A ticker or some sort of feed would be nice I suppose (I personally, wouldn't use it), but it would also be nice if a feature such as this were optional. With the fact that I've been too lazy to soup up my machine over the past few years, I'm having problems even running FF (with a million tabs, albeit.) I blame that particular shortcoming on Google+, however, as that damn thing takes up like all my resources. In fact, I can't even run it in my native browser, Iceweasel, but I believe that to be a general support issue on Google's side vs an issue with IW. I fear that I would not be able to use HP if they were to add anything particularly flashy such as a ticker.

I have no clue as to what's the problem I use FF as well. It may be your system as you say your machine big_smile

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

The one thing I really like about Hubpages is what I used to like about Google. It is fast to load.

I have horrendous problems being on a mobile internet connection. Some days of the month it flies, and on others it crawls.

I hate opening any company site that is big offline, because they use flash and all sorts of fancy techniques to make their pages look as if they are something special, but are too slow to load.

I am having problems with Google search these days for the same reason, though I suspect the problem might be with the SEO Quake plug-in.

Please, don't change how we see the forums. It's OK for all your folks on a fast connection, but what about us on a slow one?
    I would love a faster connection, but there isn't one available. (10th year waiting for a phone line).

Hey Izzy it is the SEO quake I have the same prob smile

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you frequently have to fill in one of those thingummies (name forgotten) to prove you are human, because there has been an unusual pattern of activity from your computer? Drives me daft if I am plagiarism checking, as that means a lot of searches.

1. melbel profile image93
          melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I get those from Google a LOT but I was sure it's because of the scripts I write. One time I queried Google so many times with a script that they wouldn't let me use it for a while.

Aside from when I'm playing w my scripts, I never see it.

@lobo
          My machines are fine as long as I stay away from Google+ in FF. I disassembled one of my machines and found there was a RAM issue. One dim isn't working properly so I'll have to replace it. I've got it on dual channel now w slightly less RAM, but definitely enough to run any website. I shouldn't need 4G of ram to run G+ on FF. I'd like to replace my mobo in favor of a brand new processor as I'm working w DDR RAM. While old, it's good enough to run a browser, just can't have WoW on max. Perhaps a memory leak in FF? I know FF is notorious for it, but figured they'd have their sh*t together by 8. Enough to have me move on to Chrome, but seriously am only running into issues in G+.

5. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

I would suggest, instead of an annoying ticker, that the same feature "Questions" have where you follow a category to see new questions in your feed or emailed to you, we would have the option of following a category/or topic in the forums so we would get it in our feeds.

I know we get responses to the topics we now follow but we could say follow this topic "Report a problem....blah...blah..blah" and we get the new questions as they are posted.

It doesn't really matter to me one way or the other as there are other more important things I would like to see done.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is a great solution Cardisa.  I don't like a scrolling ticker idea, but this solves the problem.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)