How is Traffic Distributed? How do you Get on the Front Page?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. americababy profile image60
    americababyposted 12 years ago

I got this hub up to 91 rating.  I'm trying to get traffic from Google so that people see it.  I had a success on Reddit which brought a lot of traffic to it.  I was able to get 20 up votes on it.  Everything is good about the hub from Hubpages perspective.

1.  good feedback

2.  high paying in demand keywords

3.  non Google high volume traffic gotten by me

4.  Content that is especially relevant to both hubpages authors and huge percentages of the country that are looking for legitimate ways to add to their income.

So in every way this article is a winner.  If I could get it in front of a real audience I think there is a very good chance it would go viral.  Since my big boost of traffic on Reddit I've been trying to keep that momentum going.  It's difficult because Reddit gives you like 3 days.

Additionally it's really tough to get people to read it when it's not in the search engine because of all the spam out there.  As soon as they see that the article talks about money they don't want to read it. 

I think I've done all I can to plug it.  So it's frustrating a little bit because any article that talks about making money labels you a spammer when you are trying to promote it.  They think there is some affliate thing at the end that I am trying to get them into.

So even with that decent amount of traffic hubpages is only sending me like 20 vistitors a day.  I appreciate those visitors very much but I believe that this is the type of article that should be on the front page.  This country is hurting right now.  People need all the relevant ways they can get to legitimately save and make more money.

I won't link to it.  It's about selling moving boxes if you want to read it.  That's not even my point.

I want to get on the front page but now I figure it's not even possible now. I wrote an article that disagrees with Patti Inglish.  My article for sure was brutal but it's how I actually felt. 

I honestly didn't conciously think about the ramifications of pissing Patti off.  I don't think I should have to think about it.  I'm sure an article about safe drinking water in the artic is incredibly helpful.  How much money is that going to make the site though?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Could you explain what you mean by "sending"?  HubPages doesn't distribute  any traffic - if you're seeing traffic "from HubPages" on your stats, it means visitors who've come from another Hub or done a HubPages search.

Disagreeing with Patti won't do you any harm (unless you get banned for attacking another Hubber - I don't know how "brutal" your article was).  But anyway, getting on the front page of HubPages will make zip difference to your traffic.  The active HubPages community is very small, and very few external visitors ever see the front page - they all arrive at specific Hubs after looking for specific subjects.  They then browse around by doing more searches, or clicking on related Hubs.

You can get readers if it's not in the search engines, but nothing like the number you need to make money from your Hub.  Rather than knock yourself out trying to attract small numbers of Hubbers, take some time to create some backlinks to your Hub, to improve your Google ranking.

americababyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I mean how they structure their main page.  It would be interesting if they could somehow create a totally seperate part of the site for reading content.  Have the hubbers on one side of it and the readers on the other side of it.  I know that hubbers are also readers.  From outside it might look like the hubbers are too involved and connected to the readers.  If it was structured that way it might look better from Googles perspective.  Just letting the content stand on its own.  I guess what I am saying is that one side should be the creative side and the other should be the finished side.  The creative side could then collaborate more on making the content side stronger.  You could even have open articles where the impressions were split based on how much of a writers content was in the final draft of the article as a percentage.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And how would that help?

You are assuming that readers arrive at HubPages on the "main page" and then browse around the content.  They don't.  Very few people type "Hubpages.com" into their browser.   There aren't many people who visit HubPages regularly just to browse around.

HubPages gets the vast majority of its visitors from the search engines, where people type in search queries for specific subjects, and then visit Hubs related to that subject.  Most of them don't even notice what website they're on.

1. WryLilt profile image88
            WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agree with Marisa.

Hubpage members are very unlikely to click adverts or give you backlinks either.

And where did you find your "high paying keywords"? Coz usually the more they pay, the more chance that the topic is saturated and you'll never see traffic because EVERYONE is writing on that topic.

2. sofs profile image75
    sofsposted 12 years ago

Lol I wonder how Patti English is even remotely connected to your traffic .. Google traffic..
    I am sure Patti doesn't care what you wrote... you have voiced your opinion and even if she did...what could she do to your traffic.
    Learn how to get your hubs Search Engine optimized and work on it... traffic will come your way.

americababyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well if she has pull on hubpages it might affect if I ever get "hub of the day".  Are you telling me to Google the word traffic?  or are you talking about how Patti could affect Google traffic?  That situation happened recently.  I have reason to believe that there is some effect from that.  I specifcally asked how to get on the front page and not about SEO advice.  If you noticed I mentioned things like keywords etc. 
      I was trying to explain how it's a lot more difficult to do SEO for the type of article I wrote because getting the backlinks to rank well can be viewed as spammy by the places you are trying to get them from.
      I want to know how Hubpages distributes their traffic to hubs and if there is a process that sees shen certain hubs are seeing bursts of traffic and then good resulting feedback from that traffic.

If I get 1000 vistiors completely from my own promotion that should be a pretty good indication that there is some heat on the article.  Especially considering the amount of followers I have and the source of the traffic.

So if you take all those things toghether someone should pick up on that and start to try to throw even more traffic on somethign while the momentum is in place.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I write articles and rarely, if ever, bother with promotion or backlinking. And I get plenty of traffic. As has been pointed out, internal traffic does nothing. And internal ranking has nothing to do with Google ranking.

3. sofs profile image75
    sofsposted 12 years ago

I was saying Patti has no effect whatsoever on your traffic... Search engine Traffic... Back linking is the only way to get to the first page... of Google. Hubs  do take time... Hub of the day doesn't help much to catapult your hub to First page on Google searches ... I can say that from experience..
    Being on the front pages of Hubpages may help get you some traffic but that is only for a limited time. You need to work on getting traffic consistently from search engines... There is a lot of material out there about in page optimization and such which could help you... Best wishes to you!

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Well, we all think that our articles are worthy of Hub of the Day. That there is nothing better out there. There are thousands of hubbers writing every day and there is one hub of the day. It has nothing to do with who you know.

As far as I know, the Hub of the Day has everything to do with quality, not how much money it can make.

5. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

If you want to see an example of a how a Hub of the Day should be written, and what HP are looking for, I believe I wrote one a while back.  I'll go get the link.

edit: Oh. It seems I didn't.

1. LeanMan profile image80
      LeanManposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hope that was not an attempt at self promotion mark you know what happens to naughty boys who do that!! You will sit on the naughty step for 3 months!!!

6. NatalieSack profile image60
    NatalieSackposted 12 years ago

I don't know how HubPages chooses 'front page' material, but you are making an assumption about what an audience wants to read.  You can say that you, "...believe that this is the type of article that should be on the front page.  This country is hurting right now.  People need all the relevant ways they can get to legitimately save and make more money," and that might be what we need, but historically, demographics show audiences  want escapism during bad economies.  Hence the preponderance of new sitcoms during recessions.

7. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

Generally what people need to read and want to read are different things - give them what they want to read that way they will be searching for it and you have a chance of capturing their attention and funneling them to what you think they "need" to read to answer their problems....

Research the keywords and write to get the traffic - backlink and promote to raise yourself up in the serps but don't do it through spam!!

Learn about SEO!!!! There are plenty of good hubs on this site to help you - just use the search box or go straight to the help section..

Good luck

8. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

The front page did have a different layout when I joined HubPages and that allowed more people to have their hubs featured on the front page.

I do n't think hub of the day would have a mega effect on your income from one hub. It might boost your views slightly short term but as others have said what you really need is traffic from search engines on a regular basis.

I really doubt the Hubber you mention has a 'hot line' to the HubPages team, so it is highly unlikely that your actions have sabotaged your attempts to arrive on the front page.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)