Is anybody entering the Amazon Breakthrough Writers' Competition?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (23 posts)
  1. donnaisabella profile image72
    donnaisabellaposted 12 years ago

I am struggling to finish reviewing an old manuscript so I can enter the above contest. Are there any hubbers entering this year? I need some motivation and encouragement. I have a long way to go and my baby is not making it easy, but I really want to do this!

1. regina_favors profile image60
      regina_favorsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would love to enter the competiton. I wish I had the skill of penning a novel, but my taste is along the lines of technical writing and college composition. Good luck to you. You have until Feb. 5th to submit the first 5000 words or so. There is a deadline and then there is the limit for so many people to register their manuscript. In other words, Amazon is only taking the first "whatever the number is" and then capping it at that number. Therefore, at least register if you know you are going to submit something so you can be in that number. I sound like that church song. Have a great one. Stay cool! RYF

donnaisabellaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Regina, I have already visited the website and read the instructions many times over the past couple of weeks, and I really did think that I did not need to submit the whole manuscript to start with (only the first 5000 words), but after reading it again and again, it seems to be saying that three things need to be submitted at the same time: 1. The pitch 2. 5000 word excerpt 3. Whole manuscript. I wish it was the 5000 words first, that would have made it so much easier for me, but, alas it does not seem to be so. However, if you understood it in the same way I did at first, may be I should run there and check it again! Thanks for the information! I wish I could write the things you write, it sounds very interesting too.

2. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 12 years ago

I'm not, but I popped by to wish you and any other Hubbers
    who will be entering the competition Good Luck. smile

Thanks LadyE, I sure do need those blessings and so do the others.

3. parrster profile image83
    parrsterposted 12 years ago

I just entered. I'd known of this comp for a while but completely forgotten about it, so thanks for the heads up.

1. HattieMattieMae profile image60
      HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dam, I wish you someone said something sooner, I have on almost done, but I don't know if I could finish it  in three days. lmao!

1. parrster profile image83
        parrsterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How much more do you have to write?
        Thankfully I had my manuscript completed already, so it was just a matter of writing the synopsis and pitch.
        I know of several annual writing comps, the forums might be a good place to help remind each other of the opportunities. Here's one
        http://www.bridportprize.org.uk/rules.htm

I think I only have 17 chapters so far, so that is what I mean, I'd have to write non-stop to make that dead line, and never good to rush things. lol Although I've done it for College. lol  Don't know the manuscript format either since I never wrote one or submitted one. If you could let me know where to look than maybe I could keep working on it and get it done and than try to submit it. lol

1. regina_favors profile image60
            regina_favorsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ms. HattieMattieMae, I don't think you have to submit the full novel, just so many words. Check to be sure. That way you can submit the total words that are capped for the requirement and still register. Stay cool! RYF

Yay I was wondering about that, I will check it out! smile Thanks!

2. donnaisabella profile image72

I do not think there is anything special that is required other than flowing with your story and being able to present it like so many novels we read. Chapter 17 is pretty impressive, way ahead of me even if my manuscript is complete just reviewing even my review is almost a rewrite. You should see it! Please go for it.

Thanks Parrster for the information about those other comps, they are like America's Got Talent, X Factor, American Idol etc for writers and I hope we all tap into them. Thanks once again for sharing.

Go for it Mattie, keep pushing to the end. That is what I am doing. There is no guarantee I will beat the deadline (reviewing), but I am determined to get to the finish line running! Go, you can do it!

You are welcome and good for you Parrster, I am glad you got to do it. I am sure you would have hated to miss the deadline. I wish you the best!

4. LABrashear profile image59
    LABrashearposted 12 years ago

I'm working feverishly to get my edit finished in time.  I hope I can.  I was too late last year and my heart dropped when I thought I missed the deadline this year.  Thanks for the reminder.  Good luck to those of you entering!

Glad to know that I am not alone. Stay on task and run to the finish line and best wishes!

Oh well then. Just a little sad, but glad that the pressure is off. Now we can nicely finish those manuscripts for the next competition. I have a manuscript for young adults, let me see if it will fit in. But then, I will continue working on my present manuscript, I have already put in a lot and I have to run to the finish line with it except this time it is only mine. Thanks for the info Hattie.

5. HattieMattieMae profile image60
    HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years ago

hmm...well it says at the moment general fiction is already closed and only young adult! sad

6. LABrashear profile image59

Yep.  Just saw that.  I guess I'll be ready next year.  smile

Please let me know how you progress with your manuscript. I will keep you updated about mine! It is a pleasure to meet you.

7. LABrashear profile image59

I look forward to the updates!  My sweet husband just reminded me that there are so many other opportunities out there.  Let's go find them!  Thanks again for opening this forum.

YES! Somebody posted a link here about them. You are welcome and thanks for joining in.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)