What Sells Through Amazon Associates?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)
  1. anish92 profile image63
    anish92posted 12 years ago

Hi. I wonder if anyone could tell me what type of products (eg. text books, music CDs, earrings...) sell through Amazon Associates units on Hubpages and similar sites so that I can create a few hubs with  this in mind.
    No one in my family ever buys anything online except for professional guide books that are not available in India. So, I need your help to understand how to integrate this (and Ebay) capsule properly with my content.

2. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

Sales hubs.

Information hubs rarely sell Amazon items - with rare exceptions.

For instance, if you're searching for "How to turn on the oven", you're unlikely to be looking to buy something. However if you're searching "How to choose the best oven brand", you're much more likely to be in the market to buy.

Hubs aimed at products, product reviews, product comparisons and the like get the best Adsense and Amazon clicks/sales in my experience.

1. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I use the phrase 'sales hubs' sometimes myself but if you set out to write a 'sales hub' I think you are heading for disaster. The temptation is to skimp on the information and slip into copy writing.

Nowadays, pages monetized with Amazon capsules have to be a very high standard. If you cannot offer something that isn't already out there it might be worth avoiding altogether.

Panda gobbles up anything below par when affiliate ads become involved.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have to disagree, Wrylit!  I sell many more items from my informational or How-to hubs than I ever have on intentional sales articles.  Once again, it depends on the subject and the writer's ability to gain the trust of the reader by giving pertinent advice or information.  Everyone will see it differently depending on their own sales history.  smile

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

1. WryLilt profile image89
        WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was thinking of you when I wrote "rare exceptions" Randy. smile Yes, it is possible but it takes time and skill - in general sales hubs often garner better sales than information hubs.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61

Okay Wrylit!  I suppose I'm not really the average "how-to" hubber since I use hands-on experience and step-by-step photos to gain the reader's confidence in my recommendations.  So you are perhaps correct in your general observation on  sales vs. info hubs.  smile

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6186555.jpg

big_smile See, we're both right.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61

I like it when that happens!  smile

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I only have one true sales hub and the rest are information or special interest hubs. I sell items on any kind of hub.  You never know what a viewer will decide to click and buy.

4. jenniferrpovey profile image76
    jenniferrpoveyposted 12 years ago

The only things I've sold through Amazon lately...have been things I did not even have on the hub, but random stuff after people clicked through. And I'm not sure if they were from my hub or my ebook store on my website...

You can set up tracking IDs so you can see what sites sales are coming from.

5. anish92 profile image63
    anish92posted 12 years ago

But WHAT do you sell?? Books, CDs, clothes, toys...???

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, all of those things, whatever fits in with what I'm writing about.  When I write, I write first about the topic, and may add Amazon links. I know a few people who do very well with how-to hubs. And they sell whatever is needed, like a car door handle or a shower head, etc.

I think Panda snapped down hard on spammy Amazon related hubs. Personally, I would never buy a big ticket $$$$ item from a random article online.

I'm sure no one wants to tell exactly what they sell or they may be folks trying to use their ideas to compete against them for the sales.  Not a smart business decision, I would think.  roll

6. Greekgeek profile image79
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

Trick # 1 - your first job is to get people TO Amazon. People often click on interesting or cazy-looking product thumbnails just to get a better look.

I discovered this by accident when I wrote an article on Egyptian mythology and had a few Egyptian god action figurines (I kid you not, although I'm embarrassed to have done it) simply as a bit of visual decoration to keep it from being a Wall of Text. People don't buy them often, but the click on them a lot and sometimess buy something else. Funny posters work too, because people want to read the captions.

Another thing is collectibles. Everything has collectibles these days.

Actually, that's an awesome tip! Never thought of that. Something unusual that people want to get a better view of... great idea!

Yep, gotta get em in the store first!  Anything you can truly relate to the hub, and catches the reader's eye in the process, can reap some nice rewards!  Many readers are like crows.  If they see something shiny they may investigate a bit more.  yikes

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

GG, you make a good point. Even before we get them to Amazon, we have to have  traffic. I think it's been said over and over again (I know it's what I heard when I first joined.), write about what you know well and write on topics that people are searching for. And write on topics that you enjoy. It comes across in the writing as Will stated earlier.

I'm sure if there was a poll taken at HP, many hubbers have Amazon sales on information hubs.  Not everyone posts in the forum. There would really be no way of knowing except on our own hubs.

I think it's safe to say "In general, without a lot of experience or luck" you get more sales from specifically aimed product hubs than informational hubs.

I've seen hundreds of posts from newbies (and even older members) questioning why their information based hubs never get Amazon sales, no matter what the topic or item.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think the key is targeted traffic, keywords. Do keywords connect with items? Are they mentioned somewhere in the text?  I think that helps.

8. D22314 profile image61
    D22314posted 12 years ago

I have been getting TONS, and I mean hundreds, of clicks when I try to sell mp3s on AA. However, not a SINGLE SALE. Not ONE. It's been almost half a year and I have had the equivalent of Alberta (exaggeration) click on my links, but not a single penny for my efforts. Any ideas? I've done most of my linking outside of Hubpages, which may affect my results.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)