Black March

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Peelander Gallyposted 12 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6260926_f248.jpg

So this was suggested on 4chan and Reddit a while ago... I'm wondering if anyone who lurks on this site knows about it and is planning on participating. It could have pretty incredible far-reaching consequences if more people knew of it.

1. profile image52
      joe scaliseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I manage a band called the Adrian Niles Band and we are an up and coming band.  We just sold two songs to FX TV for the show "Justified" which will begin its season in about two weeks. I am opposed to any media censorship.  But I don't think I would like a boycott either. We have worked very hard to get a break and are in negotiationss to do the letterman show. I support efforts to supress censorship. Again I don't like any attempt to censor the internet even though there are consequences. But I can tolerate piracy if it means protectig the internet from government intrusion but this would be bad month for us to face a boycott.

2. profile image0
    Peelander Gallyposted 12 years ago

I'll take that as a "no".

1. profile image52

Yes I guess it is a no. Why punish the artists. We have four cds out and we have most of our songs on our website.  We realize that we are putting our music into the public domain. We still offer our cds for a price. If we lose sales thru piracy we take the hit and we are not calling for this legislation. We don't believe in jeopardizing our rights in order to correct a wrong. To me it is a smaller scale of giving up my rights of habeous corpus,protection against search and siezure and unwarrented wiretaps due to terrorist activity. I fear losing my rights more tahn terrorism.
      The entertainment industry may be sponsoring the effort to stop piracy on the internet but I am sure that the government would love to create legislation to get there hooks into the internet and we would fight that. So a short answer to your question is no with a caveat.

1. profile image0
        Peelander Gallyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not about punishing artists, it's about wanting the corporate monopolisation of everything to end. Major record companies absorb too much of every artist's profit margin, and it's clear that they don't have any kind of a long-term future with all the different methods of self-promotion that exist today. Useless fat cat middle men don't have a place in a world of altruistic peer to peer shareware. A lot of people like me haven't bothered forking over ten or fifteen bucks for one CD in the last decade unless it was an independent release by an artist who needed the support. Things just don't work like that anymore. I'm surprised Best Buy hasn't gone the way of Blockbuster yet, retail prices are too high and they're completely obsolete. Eventually the paradigm shift will affect the record companies themselves, too.

There was originally something in the Black March discussions about supporting local indie bands and other media. Getting exposure through playing shows and establishing a following is what'll make you successful, especially if you can get onto local radio and one of the side stages of Warped Tour or another major tour. Name recognition is the most powerful tool at your disposal.

1. profile image52

The Adrian Niles Band records on our own independent label (Flying Boxcar).  WE sell our cds' on line and at gigs. We have worked at getting name recognition as well as developing exposure.  We have opend houses like the Pepsi Road House for artists such as Dave Mason and Los Lonely Boys and opned the Heritage Port Blues Fest for John Mayal.  We went to the Eastern Pa. Blues competiton and won it which earned us a spot in the Memphis International Blues Challenge and out of 111 bands we finished 14th.  Now we have sold two songs to FX TV and are negotiating to paly on Letterman an Fallon.  The band has aspirations but we will not sacrifice values for profits.  As we grow we realize tha we may have to face piracy nof our intellecctual property but know one in the band want to sacrfice the right to privacy or face censorship yo be protected from piracy.  Music is a tough business and there is so much more than musical talent involved.  There are tons of talented musicians who are satisfied with playing local gigs for a few hudred dollars a month.  It is a shame that the music industry isn't really about promoting performing arts as it is in exploiting and manipulating talented people.  All in all we are against internet censorship.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)