Your favorite green paint?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Robie Benve profile image95
    Robie Benveposted 12 years ago

Oh, that perfect green so hard to mix!
    I have always an hard time getting the right green, sometimes it looks great on the palette, and when the brush strokes the canvas I flinch.

What is your favorite green tube of paint?
    Or your favorite colors to mix your greens?

PS I use acrylic paint, but any medium you use, you are welcome to share your wisdom.
    smile

1. profile image0
      mts1098posted 12 years agoin reply to this

My favorite green paint is the color of my first jeep...kind of a winter green

Robie Benveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

sounds like a cool color. smile

2. coffeegginmyrice profile image82
      coffeegginmyriceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Robie! My favourite green is actually (fresh green) grass green and apple green.
      I really enjoyed the time I was in Fine Arts (university) that we were asked to produce Opaques and Tints Chart using a thick water colour paper. The colours produced were endless from darkest to most tint and same with the opaque. You can make this chart beginning with all the 8 solid colours from the colour wheel. For example: Start with Red + Orange (side by side colours on the wheel) and go forth making different shades from darkest to lightest. After you're done with red + orange, do red + yellow, then, red + green, and so on until you finish the full colour wheel. You will be amazed of the hundreds of colours you can make.

To make a chart for tints, use a set of 8-colour watercolour. Don't worry about the secondary and tertiary colours, you will be able to produce them as you make your chart. To produce hundreds of opaque shades, use the 8 basic colours from a poster colour paint or your acrylic paint tubes with white.

I have included a link here on how to mix greens using acrylic for paintings using black or blue with yellow.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiH3k41YY_E

My favourite acrylic tube paint is from Grumbacher. It is actually hard to distinguish a favourite green tube of paint because the colour is widely varied with different names from different brands, and most of these greens are beautiful.

My favourite colour to mix my greens is cobalt blue or just blue. It makes the green brighter than using black. Again, we do not have to depend on black. Black comes alive if mixed using red and green and a little blue, or mixing dark colours together.

coffeegginmyrice, I can't believe you stopped painting (from your comment on my hub) you write about it with such a passion, I can see it's something you'd really enjoy doing.
        Thanks for all the info on the color mixing chart, very useful. smile

2. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

Benjamin Moore Garland Green 429

Hi Disturbia, that's a lovely shade of green. We painted the living room in a color pretty close to that in our first home, at the paint store it was called "restful green".

1. Georgina_writes profile image78
        Georgina_writesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

However many greens I have, I never quite find the right one, so in my pastel work I blend a lot of colours and layer one green over another.  However, Unison A43 is a really dark green, which is superb for creating the darkest of shadows without resorting to black, which has the effect of deadening the picture.  I also use Unison BGE10, which is a luscious deep turquoise as a mid tone shadow.  This has the effect of making true greens leap off the page.

Georgina, needless to say I had to google your green colors because I had no idea how they looked.
          You weren't kidding when you said the Unison A43 is dark! It looks almost black on the monitor, I bet it's great for shadowing.
          And the BGE10 is lovely, pretty close to my favorite color ever, which I don't have a technical name for, but it's a shade of turquoise.
          Thanks for sharing.

3. GDiBiase profile image67
    GDiBiaseposted 12 years ago

My favorite green, is a Shabby chic green in the Benjamin Moore paint collection and it is called Olive Branch.

Hi GDiBiase, being totally honest I'm not a big fan of olive green -  I don't know why - but I searched for the shade you favorite, and I have to admit that It's cool.
      I would see it on a nice comfy couch, for instance. Thanks for sharing. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)