Dehydratation and kidney failure

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Princessa profile image81
    Princessaposted 16 years ago

Last night I had bad news.  After two days with gastroenteritis (resulting in acute diarrhea).  My father was taken to hospital as his kidneys had stopped working. 

Otherwise a healthy man, at 56, he never had kidney troubles until yesterday.  After intensive care and an overnight stay in hospital, the doctors managed to get his kidneys back into working.

Aparently, the kidney failure was just caused by acute dehydratation.  He still has the gastroenteritis but at least his kidneys are working again. 

As the summer and holiday season approaches, I just want to say to  anyone that might suffer from gastroenteritis to keep drinking water.  Even if you cannot eat, keep drinking.  Do not allow your body to become dehydrated.  And take special care with children and the elderly.

1. knutfg profile image55
      knutfgposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Over the last 6 months I have learned a lot about water and the quality of water and how it works to hydrate our bodies, help get rid of waste and many other functions. One extremely important aspect of water (besides drinking enough) is the quality of the water. It turns out that we should drink alkaline water to counter act our modern lifestyle, which generates far too much acidic waste (more than what the body can process). The effect of this is belly fat and a number of other not so nice consequences.

Drinking alkaline water, my wife got rid of cronic cosntipation and acid reflux within 3 weeks, my atopic dermatitis is all but gone and we both feel energetic all the day. We make sure to drink half our body weight in ounces of water per day and we feel great. Actually, the health benefits of this water are so numerous that it just sounds like hype telling about it, but if you like to know more, feel free to contact me by phone or email. :-) Actually, one of the great things about it is that you produce this water in your own kitchen and you do not need to lug questionable quality water bottles from the grocery.

Knut
      786 200 2292
      kfgplaytime@gmail.com

2. fakonig profile image38
      fakonigposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I trust that your father will be well soon. Good advice about the water, our bodies need between 6 to eight glasses of pure water a day in order to function properly.

It is one of the 1st building block to better health. Drink enough water and you'll dissolve numerous health conditions.

3. VioletSun profile image80
      VioletSunposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Princessa wrote:

Last night I had bad news.  After two days with gastroenteritis (resulting in acute diarrhea).  My father was taken to hospital as his kidneys had stopped working. 

Otherwise a healthy man, at 56, he never had kidney troubles until yesterday.  After intensive care and an overnight stay in hospital, the doctors managed to get his kidneys back into working.

Aparently, the kidney failure was just caused by acute dehydratation.  He still has the gastroenteritis but at least his kidneys are working again.  >>>

Princesa: I was stunned when I read your post!  First of all, good to hear your dad is back to normal by the time, I read this post. I am also healthy, but  I had the stomach flu for the first time in my life, early this year which lasted 7 days which resulted in acute diarrhea, but, since I have health awareness,  I had my mate get me water with electrolytes and I drank plenty of water but I was thinking of protecting the heart; a friend of mine who is a health consultant advised that I take probiotics, and that healed me. Thanks so much for alerting us all!

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

All the best to your farther, Princessa!

Let him get better soon.

3. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image63
    C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years ago

I hope your father gets well soon. I'm glad you mentioned the elderly, as well. My husband's grandmother is in the hospital right now. About two weeks ago, she suddenly was unable to walk. The family rushed her to the hospital. The diagnosis: she'd had a mini-stroke brought on by severe dehydration. She's been doing physical therapy, and is able to do a slow, shuffling walk  from her  bed to a chair.  She's  slowly getting better, and is expected to make a full recovery, but it's mindblowing to think about  the fact that something like dehydration  can have such a consequence.

4. thooghun profile image93
    thooghunposted 16 years ago

As a former dialysis patient you have my heartfelt wishes in the hope of a swift return to normality for your father.

5. Princessa profile image81

Thanks for your get well wishes guys smile .  So far my father is responding well to treatment. 

I  still find amazing what dehydratation can do to the body.  Vanderlinden, I hope things go better with your husband's grandmother.  I didn't know that dehydratation could trigger a stroke !!! 

I remember my daugther was in hospital for a week when she was one year old because she was also severely dehydrated during a heat wave in Spain coupled with a gastroenteritis.  I did not realize at the time how dangerous it was.

6. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

I do hope your father gets better.  Gastroenteritis can cause dangerous levels of dehydration - anyone suffering from a tummy upset needs to be sure to drink lots, preferably rehydrating salts rather than just plain water.  Cordial is a good backup if you don't have the rehydrating salts.  Or see if they can manage to eat a banana. 

The elderly sometimes don't drink enough normally - just like they don't eat enough!  However, it's also not a good thing to go to the other extreme and guzzle pints of water every day.  Too much water can flush out water-soluble nutrients and there is even such a thing as water intoxication, which can be fatal.  Like everything, moderation is key.

It used to be said that if you were thirsty, you were already dehydrated.  That's no longer considered true.  Provided your health is normal, listen to your body and give it fluids when it asks for them, and that's all you need.  And tea, coffee, soft drinks, fruit juices and soups are just as effective at hydrating as plain water.

1. Kelley Eidem profile image43
      Kelley Eidemposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Amen, Marisa!

Flushing oneself with water can be dangerous, especially when the person has diarrhea. I have a friend who went into to a coma from drinking water without taking in enough salts and minerals.

Your advice is golden with one modification. Coffee and soft drink with caffeine are produce increased urination, so they are are dehydrating beverages. 

The best to you.

Kelley Eidem
      Together we can cure cancer - one person at a time!

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Kelley, like most of the population, I always thought so.  However recently, there have been a couple of studies where they've compared a group of people drinking just coffee with a group drinking water, and at the end of each day, they found the coffee-drinking group were just as hydrated as the water-drinking group.  There's obviously more work to be done, but it does call into question what we've all accepted up till now. 

Not that I would recommend anyone drink more than one or two caffeine-containing beverages a day, anyway.

7. Princessa profile image81

Thanks everybody for their get well wishes.  My father is Ok now.  I guess he will pay more attention to his diet now.

8. BoCot profile image59
    BoCotposted 16 years ago

Good News, you better watch him for a while and make sure he does follow through. I have friends that after their diabetes crisis is past they go  back to what they was doing before.

Good Luck,
    BoCot

9. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 16 years ago

Sorry to hear about your father.  The power of hydration is highly underestimated.  It's for this very reason that I wrote a hub on the subject.  Check it out here if you're at all interested.

10. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 16 years ago

So what's the story on DCA (Dichloroacetate)

11. Jared L profile image71
    Jared Lposted 16 years ago

Sorry to hear abt your father. Family is the most important part of our lives.

On the subject of hydration, i had read about a recent study that suggest that drinking 8 glasses of water a day does not actually help to purge toxins from the body, much less to keep our skin tone looking good.

I wrote abt it in this Hub Drinking Lots Of Water Can Be Harmful if anyone is interested.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)