Saved a baby pigeon - What do I do now?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (77 posts)
  1. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 11 years ago

The cat wasn't happy when I took the bird from his mouth. The baby pigeon must have fallen from the nest but I couldn't find it anywhere and the neighborhood is full of cats... not the safest place.
    I'm trying to save this little sucker but I have no clue what to do. I already emailed a wildbird rehab place and now I must wait... maybe they'll call.
    Any of you have done this before? Any suggestions?

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would email this hubber - http://aviannovice.hubpages.com/ she knows about how to deal with wild birds, I think.

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Izzy. Will do!

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image61
      Dubuquedogtrainerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Haven't worked with pigeons, but have volunteered in wildlife rehab. You did the right thing to call the wildlife rehab center. They should have given you instructions for care until they can get the bird. They require warmth and lots of feeding - all birds have special diets and they could tell you what to feed/not to feed.

2. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

I once found a baby Blue Jay smile it was recommended I use a eye dropper to feed pablum to the bird wink he did well for a few weeks but passed away due to a cold night sad they need to be kept warm.

3. profile image0

I know they are almost impossible to take care of. It requires experience to save a baby bird's life. I killed a duckling once while trying to save him. The mother wasn't around and I didn't know what I was doing. sad
    I'm trying to contact the wild bird rescue but because it's a weekend I don't know if they'll have anyone there to welcome the bird. This really stinks!

1. mio cid profile image59
      mio cidposted 11 years agoin reply to this

try to give him bread soaked in lukewarm milk, when he gets hungry and starts opening his mouth big and looking up.

1. profile image0

My mother in law suggested the same thing, but I don't know... I'm afraid I'll kill it with love! I'm heading to the wildbird rescue tomorrow morning, and let the pros handle the little furry thing.

that sounds like a plan in the mean time just put it near a light bulb

1. profile image0

That's a really good idea. Thanks!

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
        mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Never feed birds milk. They can't digest it properly, avoid this at all costs.

4. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 11 years ago

Isn't "squab" considered a delicacy, Klara?  yikes

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

1. profile image0

Shoo, snake! Shooo!

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For the last time, "Shoo" is what you say to flies and chickens, Klara!  You're supposed to say "EEEEK" to we members of the reptilian persuasion.  Sigh!  City slickers!  tongue

1. profile image0

I speak Spanish, Randy! yikes

Baby pigeon made it through the night and is now in the care of professionals at the South Florida Wildlife Rescue hospital.

The lightbulb was a great idea. It kept him warm throughout the night, and it kept my husband awake fearing that the whole apartment building would burn to the ground. big_smile

1. jennzie profile image71
            jennzieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good to hear he lived through the night! smile

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

Okay, Klara.  By the way, what does "Shoo" mean in Spanish? 

I'm sure the statues and windshields of Southern Florida will thank you!  Tell your husband I understand too!  tongue

1. profile image0

@Randy - I have no idea what Shoo means in Spanish... hmm

@jennzie - Thank you. I need to stop rescuing animals. I once got rabies while trying to rescue a stray cat from the middle of the road. roll According to my mother, I gave the cat rabies. roll

5. Bianu profile image60
    Bianuposted 11 years ago

Some people eat pigeon.I don't think it is an endangered specie.

1. profile image0

Why would anyone eat wild pigeon? hmm

I don't eat pigeon, but would if I had nothing else.  Besides, have you ever actually observed how chickens are raised now?  You would perhaps never eat another one--or eat eggs for that matter--if you saw how they were produced.

I do love me some mourning dove breasts wrapped in bacon, dipped in Italian dressing, and cooked on a grill, though!  We usually kill over 500 on the opening day of dove season here in southeastern Georgia. 

I imagine pigeon tastes quite similar.  Now we have an infusion of a new bird we call a ring neck dove, but really I believe it is a recent Asian immigrant which is now competing with the local mourning and turtle dove species.

I think they taste similar to spotted owl or whooping crane, but whatever!  tongue

1. profile image0

I eat organic chicken and eggs. big_smile I like'em roaming free!

But I do have to confess one thing... I love eating reptiles! There's this little place in the Miccosukee reservation... they make the best alligator nuggets! big_smile

Yummmm...

Does alligator really taste like chicken? ,because whenever somebody mentions some weird animal they ate they always say it tastes like chicken

1. profile image0

No, it tastes like alligator... but hey, I heard that The Road Kill Grill is famous for its Shake'n Bake Snake. It's TO DIE for!

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6503215_f248.jpg

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

Then you do know the difference between commercially grown chickens and yard birds, Klara!  You just went up a notch in my estimation (big whoop, I know) and I do admire you for taking care of the squab, despite my joking about it. smile

And heck yeah on the alligator.  A well prepared and expertly cooked alligator tail is very delicious.  smile

1. profile image0

Thank you, thank you... I didn't know I needed to go up in estimation hmm Was it the "shoo" that had me hanging low? hmm

No, it sorta looked like you had a booger on your avatar photo, but I don't think it is now.  smile

1. profile image0

Well, you could have said something about the booger! You could have passed me a tissue! yikes Is that why no one ever reads my hubs?!

I didn't know what to do!  These days it could merely be a fashion statement of some sort, like a big hair bow or sporting purple hair.  You know, an attention getter! smile

3. mega1 profile image78
            mega1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

oh hell, why I am always so late?   now I am freeked out thinking of that poor little guy at the rescue hospital where they may not have the right kind of worms.  You know, EARTH worms?   Did you give it name, by the way?  EARTHY would be a good one!  big_smile

also, you could have brought it to the HubPages Recovery Center where there are often plenty of us Hubbers who have also fallen from various places, nests and such and having nothing else to do, would have been too happy to chew worms!  lol

1. profile image0

It's a she, and I signed her up at the hospital as Mega1. Hope you don't mind.

1. mega1 profile image78

way!  I love to have pigeons names after me, it seems all so very appropriate, you know?  Anyhow, if it happens again, I'd be glad to adopt a baby pigeon and will help you start a foundation for it!

1. profile image0

lol Klaromega Pigeon Foundation - it does have certain ring to it, you know?

1. mega1 profile image78

Yes, and when we've taught it everything we know and it is adult enough we could find it a mate, and they could nest right on your desk and you could have grand-pigeons there and then -- the one wee birdy strayed from its nesty would become a PIGEON DYNASTY of the westy!  and we could have a, uh, TV show
                    and

and

that's all I've got for now.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Pigeons are not 'worm eaters', not all birds eat worms! Seeds are better for pigeons, and then only the right ones, (we went through this with a lost homing pigeon that turned up on our doorstep, end result was that it was worth over £400. It wouldn't eat anything offered until a local expert showed it seed, then it went mad for it).

1. profile image0

I didn't know that, but I'll keep it in mind for next time. How long until the eggs hatch? Anyone knows? I've got two in my balcony right now. big_smile

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

About 18 days klarawieck. I hope this helps smile

1. profile image0

Thank you misty. I got rid of the nest she had been making, but came back the following day to find the two eggs. She's not moving, but I'm thinking about making a nest for her and place her eggs in it, because that part of the balcony gets flooded when it rains and the eggs are going to spoil.

6. Mrs. Menagerie profile image89
    Mrs. Menagerieposted 11 years ago

Hey there...it looks like you got the little guy to a rehabber which was key.  I hope you mentioned the cat because any bird that has been it the mouth of a cat, has about 72 hours to live if they don't get an antibiotic such as baytril (available without a prescription, btw.)

http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newprodu … ytril.html

Even if they appear to be without a single scratch, the bacteria from the cat or even a dog will kill them.
    Just fyi, I am a licensed wild bird rehabber and can help if ever you have such an delemma again.  Feel free to contact me anytime.
    Pigeons are not protected under migratory bird laws and therefore can be kept by anyone...no license necessary.  Most pet stores carry LaFabers baby bird food, which comes with great information as to how to feed the little peeps.  So there you go...and the warmth thing IS key!  Perhaps I will write a baby bird hub to add to my injured bird hub as it is that time of year.
    Good job!

1. profile image0

Thank you! They had me fill out a form explaining how I came to find the bird, and I also gave them a vivid picture of how it was... It looked like a cartoon with Sylvester trying to eat Tweety and my dog trying to chase the cat. big_smile Thanks for offering. I'm sure I'll need help again.

7. rsynd profile image60
    rsyndposted 11 years ago

Eat it.

8. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 11 years ago

keep it warm under a light bulb in your hand and carefully chew up a worm or so - you can then administer the baby pigeon chewed worm food with a bit of warm water via eye dropper.

OR

you can just be like others around the forums who feel that pigeons are the bird
    "rats" of the world and let the cat have it!

there are always choices.  choices.  choices. . .

1. profile image0

Megan, the bird is already at the wildbird rescue hospital. lol So, fifty-eight seconds ago! big_smile

1. Druid Dude profile image61
        Druid Dudeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Happy ending!smile

1. profile image0

Yes, I will call tomorrow to check on him/her.

9. SandyMcCollum profile image64
    SandyMcCollumposted 11 years ago

When Dad died we were up unusually late, and I saw my cat carrying something that was still moving and crying. I ran out and made him drop it, and it was a baby squirrel that didn't even have hair or it's eyes open, and a few hairs on the tail were growing. I didn't know what to do, so I took it to the all night vet and they said it's a wild animal and they can't legally take it. She told me to put it in a box and it's mother will come and get it. Someone else told us to bottle feed it kitten formula, and we would have done that, except with such a recent death I couldn't commit to giving it the time it would need to be mothered. So I called another all nigh vet hospital, and there just happened to be a squirrel whisperer, so to speak, and she told me it would be legal for her to take it if it were a native species of wildlife, cause if it wasn't a native species, then it would be illegal again... So she said to bring it in, but just agree with her when she tells us what kind it is, even if we know it's a different species. So we took it to her and she told us it was a Fox Squirrel and I think it's the truth, and she promised to raise and rehabilitate it and release it back into the wild.

I was relieved I found help for the little baby and it didn't cost me a thing, but gas to the vet. But, I kinda kicked myself, too. I've always wanted a pet squirrel. (((sigh))))

1. profile image0

I saw a stand off between two squirrels and a mama hawk. They both were building their nests in the same tree and were viciously going after each other. True story... the squirrels won!

1. SandyMcCollum profile image64
        SandyMcCollumposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, they can be vicious fighters. I can see why they wouldn't want their nest near a hawk's nest.

10. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Paradigmsearch has not posted one single barbecue pic on this thread. Amazing!!!

1. profile image0

what's wrong wichuuuu... you sounding like me talking in third person!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep, paradigmsearch does that now and again. Soon, paradigmsearch will be talking about paradigmsearch in the fourth person. Just as soon as one figures out how to do that...

1. profile image0

Fourth person's pretty simple. They call it the "multiple personality POV" where you start talking in first person, then move to second, then third, and finally plurals... until the reader can't figure out who he/she is anymore. I do this often whenever I volunteer at the hospital's psychiatric unit.

1. lorlie6 profile image73
            lorlie6posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey klara, I'll bet the patients adore it when you volunteer. lol

1. profile image0

I love working with psychiatric patients, but for some reason I can't understand they insist in making me wear a straightjacket. I'm telling you... mental patients have such great sense of humor!

1. lorlie6 profile image73

Yes, we do, klara.  Hehehehehehehehe.  J/K, you know.
                Though I used to be a psychiatric pt. 
                For around 72 hrs. On a hold.
                lol
                T'was not pleasant.
                Laurel

PS: Seriously, I am glad there are staff such as you that are caring individuals.
                    They make a huge difference.
                    L

2. lorlie6 profile image73

You pigeon sh*t, you!

1. profile image0

lol

11. profile image0

Sad news - I called the hospital and I was informed that baby bird had an artery disease that slowly starves him to death, and he also had an eye that was messed up. So they had to put him to sleep. sad The cat will never forgive me now!

1. mega1 profile image78

psyche~  smilelolsmile

1. profile image0

Stop laughing at my failures, Megan! tongue

1. mega1 profile image78

then, I shall cry with you, over the tiny beast who could have grown to fly and walk even - another two-legged one bit the dust  sad

1. profile image0

But I promise, oh dear friend, that the next pigeon to be born in my balcony will be named after you... Mega The Great!

1. mega1 profile image78

I fervently hope that she does not put all her eggs in the same nest, per se.  And, further that any offspring may be happy hoofers and not get kicked out of the nest so early, just becuz they have a "disability" or two!

1. profile image0

A black eye and an artery disease does not count as disability. But no worries... I will keep the Megapigeon comfortable ad toasty if the mother kicks her out of the nest for being a bit wierd.

1. mega1 profile image78

I am anxiously awaiting the next "born again" pigeon.

yours, sincerely,
                  Mega1

12. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

Poor little tyke - you are a compassionate soul to have given it a try.  At least you know everything was done that could be done.  My son found an injured baby bird a few years ago, and brought it inside to help it recover (and as a cat-prevention step). The bird had feathers and could barely fly, but was still a baby.

My son has a true and gentle gift with animals, and he fed the little guy bugs and I think he got meal worms or something (it's been a while).  Anyway, the mother bird kept hanging around our deck watching for her baby.  When the baby was healed, he  took it outside and kept an eye on it.  Soon, the mama came near the deck and sat on a tree branch and sang to the baby, and it flew off into the tree with her! We couldn't believe the baby survived, and that the mama kept watching for it.

1. profile image0

That's great Marcy! I'm glad there are some happy endings to these incidents. This was my third attempt at trying to save a bird and they all end up in death. sad Maybe I should stay away... but somehow they follow me! I have a pigeon that just laid an egg in my balcony for the second time... even after I removed the nest. Now I feel terrible, and I must improvise some kind of nest for it. I will post pictures... maybe write a hub. big_smile

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Klara - I firmly believe animals can tell when they're in safe territory. I'm betting they sense your innate compassion, and part of their survival is the instinct to find those havens. 

Years ago, we were complete vegetarians. During that time, a hummingbird built its tiny nest on a bamboo wind chime that hung in the entryway where my two kids came screaming and running in and out all day long. She sat on the nest (which would careen back and forth with all the action) and hatched one of her two eggs - the other one broke somehow.  One day I happened to watch the baby make its first flight!  I was convinced the mama sensed we didn't harm animals (except maybe from the kids terrorizing them). 

Yes - you should write a hub!!

1. profile image0

Marcy, my concern is that I live on the sixth floor of a building that is overlooking the river and it's three blocks from the beach. My balcony is very windy and not safe for a bird that is learning how to fly. I don't know what to tell you... This is the second time this pigeon comes to lay an egg. The first time around the egg went MIA and she stayed on the nest for weeks without an egg. I finally got rid of it so she would get the idea and leave. Now she's back and the father is constantly watching with a frown! Well... maybe not a frown, but you catch my drift... big_smile

2. lorlie6 profile image73

Wow, Marcy.  What a hummingbird tale.  That mother bird was comfortable despite the kids, and for you to see the first flight of the baby is amazing-what I'd give....!
          Lovely memory for you, may I share it?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)