Kidney stone natural treatments?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (23 posts)
  1. profile image53
    dsmith1posted 13 years ago

Anybody had any success with kidney stone natural treatments?  I'm doing some research on that and would love to know about your experiences.  Thanks a lot.

1. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

DSmith:
      I've been drinking distilled water for 50 yrs.
      My friend is a Dr.'s Dr. He's a "Fellow of the American Chemical Biologists."
      He does my blood chemistry work.
      He suggested I use distilled water over 50 yrs ago.
      There are many reasons to do it. Too many to describe here.
      Eat a good diet and take a good vitamin/mineral supplement every day.
      Qwark

1. profile image53
        dsmith1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's really interesting.  How much distilled water do you drink a day?  Did you have kidney stones and did the distilled water help you pass them?  Thanks, best of luck.

1. qwark profile image60
          qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

DSmith:
          I've been drinking all the distilled water I need everyday for 50 yrs.
          I've never had kidney or bladder stones.
          Walmart sells a gallon for $.83 cents.
          I buy it 20 gallons at a time.
          I've been into sports and  weightlifting all my life.
          Good luck  smile:
          Qwark

1. profile image53

You sound very healthy.  I'm sure the exercise and diet are big factors.  Personally, I walk 4-5 miles a day and it's helped my digestion a lot.  Anyone else does regular exercise?  What kind and how has it helped with your kidney stones or anything else?  Thanks.

2. cloverleaffarm profile image68
      cloverleaffarmposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lemon water, and lots of it. The lemon breaks up the stones.
      Gravel Root can be used to encourage the passing of kidney stones. Lots of herbal teas can be used too such as calendula, dandelion, juniper berry, burdock root and uva ursi. The herbs could be taken as a tea, or a tincture. They can also be taken as a pill. Be sure to know what you are doing before taking herbs. While natural, they are medicine.

3. artist101 profile image60
      artist101posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The treatment depends on the type of kidney stone. There are 4 types of stones, calcium, uric acid, struvite, and cystine. About 80 percent of all kidney stones, are calcium, due to our high intake of animal protein, and refined carbs. My suggestion, include more green vegatables, and increase vitamin A consumption. Eat carrots, squash, and sweet potatoes. The number one recommended supplement is inositol 500-4g a day in powder form. Proven to treat and prevent kidney stones. Other helpful supplements: magnesium 250-500mg a day,vitamin B6 50mg taken with magnesium, reduces oxalate levels.

2. profile image0
    GLORYposted 13 years ago

It is difficult to claim about kidney stone removal but drinking lots of water in the morning is useful .

1. profile image53

Thanks, I've heard that drinking water helps a lot.  Distilled water is good since it doesn't have minerals that can build up your kidney stones.  Has anyone tried drinking water and did it help you?  Thanks.

3. BigSeanR profile image79
    BigSeanRposted 13 years ago

Hi,

This is my experience from a couple years ago. I had symptoms and finally went to the ER after severe pain and presenting blood. They thought something passed and a CT showed a 3mm stone. They gave me pain pills, Flomax and told me to push fluids. I drank lots of beer, water and lemonade. A week and a half go by and things were quiet. I went to a follow-up with a urologist. He did an xray and said it was 5mm and somewhat stuck. He gave a deadline and if it did not pass, they would go get it. It was the whole issue of kidney infection etc.

Anyway nothing was happening and I had 2 days before his deadline. After looking online I found the asparagus/coke trick. There are pages that folks want you to pay them for the "secret that DRs don't want you to know." Someone had it posted for free since it's the right thing to do... It goes something like this:

Heat 1 can of aparagus. Belend the whole can with lemon juice into a slurry and drink it down. Within an hour drink a 6-pack of Coke or a 2 liter. It's tough to do but I was willing to try anything to not have surgery.

After 4 Cokes, I made a big pee and it popped out. The Dr gave me a strainer so I caught it. It was 7mm.

I can't swear the asparagus did it but I do know that I passed the stone within 2 hours of drinking the slime. I had some minor pain the night before so maybe it worked itself out on its own. I don't know.

It's worth a try and it makes sense. Asparagus is a diuretic. The acid in lemon and coke will eat at the stone. All the beer, water and lemonade didn't do anything. I think results vary but it's worth a try. A lot of people swear by it.

A friend has chronic stones and he swears lemonade is the trick for him.

Good luck!

1. profile image53

Wow, that's quite an experience you had.  Have you had any symptoms since then?  Have you made any changes since then to your diet or lifestyle to avoid more kidney stones?  Thanks, best of luck.

1. BigSeanR profile image79
        BigSeanRposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm about to publish a hub on this. I honestly think hydration was the key thing in my case. I worked outside in 100+ weather. Although I drank a lot of water and sports drinks, it may have not been enough. We have a lot of lime in S. GA and there are high occurances of stones in this area so filtered or distilled water may be a big factor in prevention.

1. profile image53

Sounds good, let us know when you publish your hub.  You said there's a lot of lime.  Is that in the water?

1. BigSeanR profile image79
            BigSeanRposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, our water supply is from aquifers. I published the article yesterday.

4. Daniel Carter profile image61
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

Distilled water is good for a lot of things, but because it lacks minerals, it can also leach minerals from the body. It's generally recommended not to intake large amounts of distilled water over extended periods of time. From what I can determine, individual body types and conditions will effect the amount/rate of leaching. It's just something to be aware of.

1. profile image53

Yeah, I've heard of that.  You can add minerals to the water to make up for the deficiency.  Anybody know more about that?

1. Daniel Carter profile image61
        Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rather than add them to the water, you can supplement with colloidal minerals, or a good quality vit/mineral supplement. You don't want to mess with the benefit of distilled water, or you just get water. Take the supplements (usually with food) at least two hours from drinking distilled water so that you don't waste taking the supplement and have it leached out of your body.

2. profile image53
      Robertr04posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Distilled water has first been turned into steam so that all of its impurities are left behind. Thenthru condensation, it is turned back into pure water. It is the only pure water. The only water free of all contamination. Distilled water may well be considered the only pure water on earth. The minerals that distilled water leaches out of the body are in-organic minerals that the body will not assimilate or use.

5. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Coconut juice, fresh. That is according to my great grandmother, it is natural fresh fruit juice so it also helps your overall health.

1. profile image53

That sounds really good.  How much should you drink?

6. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Your diet varies as per the type of the stone. Oxalate stones can be passed by taking regular carrot and lemon juice.

Avoid spinach, cola and anything that is in bitter taste/acidic, no matter what type of stone you've.

7. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 13 years ago

I've had them three times, and my doctor once said it could be from too much calcium in my diet. He also said that if you get them once you have a 50/50 chance of getting them a second time. If you have them a second time you have an 85% chance of getting them again. If this is true, then I should be passing some more any time now... oh, and I cut back on my calcium intake.

1. profile image53

You said you had them three times.  What did you do about them besides cut back on calcium?  Thanks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)