Hey all you authors out there!

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (26 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

So who here has completed a manuscript or published a book? I am very interested to hear how it all came about. Any helpful advice you could share for getting to that point would also be lovely smile

1. profile image0
      LAmatadoraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes I would like to know too!

1. apeksha profile image66
        apekshaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ya me 2 ..I have written so many articles but not yet published..

2. Lori O'Mel profile image63
      Lori O'Melposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I opted to self publish & have been pleased with the results. When my book came live it hit Amazon & Barnes & Noble. Since I have a day job it's been rough making the rounds to line up book signings. All in all the opportunity to reach readers through non traditional publishers is one to consider.

3. FunFacter profile image51
      FunFacterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good thread, I want to know that too and some tips and how you went to distribute it. I am planning to write one myself on something.

4. galleryofgrace profile image71
      galleryofgraceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have self published several, contact me for info.

5. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image87
      AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have had a number of short Fantasy and Sci-Fi stories, many non-fiction articles and poetry published and I'm currently writing my third novel. 

As with any craft, you first have to learn the basics and then practice diligently.  I'd advise you to join a writers' circle local to yourself, and also take a few creative writing classes.  Write regularly, and make a habit of it.   Take part in events; organise your own if you have to.

Read constantly; this is the best way to really know what is being published in today's market.

There are many competitions which you can join in with.  Take a look online.  When your writing is genuinely ready, start sending MS to the relevant magazines.

The main thing is to write--actually write, rather than just think or talk about writing.

1. profile image0
        fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

very helpful. But I think she needs to know about how to get published. So I assume she already has writings of her own.

1. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image87
          AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This was a description of how to get published. smile

Phrased as simply as possible, then: Learn how to write; practice writing; network; build an audience; send properly-prepared MS to places appropriate for your particular work.

2. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Never published a book. But I was one researcher/author on a published scientific journal article. I know that isn't the same. Sorry I can't help! My aunt published a book. I can ask her smile

3. goldentoad profile image61
    goldentoadposted 14 years ago

Lita Sorensen wrote a good hub today
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Real-Life-101-P … or-Writers

check it out

1. profile image0
      Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks GT. I will smile

1. profile image0
        LAmatadoraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah its a good article I just checked..

1. profile image0

haha, me too...we were probably reading at the same time big_smile

4. profile image0

that's pretty cool--I wish I knew someone who had. I have a lot of questions about the whole process. What was the article about?

5. Colebabie profile image60

Paleoecology and the Vegetation Changes in the Florida Everglades smile My aunt wrote a book on teaching special education students. I'll ask her about her process tomorrow. From her book she has taught an online class, created one of those plastic cheat sheet things you find at bookstores, and is working on a follow-up.

1. profile image0

wow. I am curious how long it took her from beginning writing stages to end published stage. I know it is probably a little different for each genre, but I imagine the general process is similar

6. Colebabie profile image60

quite possibly. I'll ask her tomorrow and get back to ya smile

7. cindyvine profile image68
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

I have written and published two books.  I am quite happy to answer your questions if you email me directly, but after this Sunday.  am helluva busy packing up my house at the moment, the shippers come on Sunday, and after that I am all yours!  The books are Stop the world, I need to pee!  Fear, Phobias and Frozen Feet.  If you check on Google there are reviews out there on the books.  One was a fictional account that closely resembled my life and adventures, the other one is a self-help book on abusive relationships.  I'm currently working on some others.  Can definitely help you with how to plan and get started.

8. profile image0

Thanks Cindy. I will def do that smile And I guess I can wait until you're done packing lol big_smile

9. Navar Crow profile image61
    Navar Crowposted 14 years ago

I had a short story published in Dungeon Magazine back in '93. But they have since gone out of business. The Story was called "Vertigo Drowning"

10. profile image0

thanks for the info Lori.  how long did the self publishing process take and did it cost you to take that route? Money I mean.

11. DonnaCSmith profile image83
    DonnaCSmithposted 14 years ago

I have five published books. Read my hub "Writing Career by Divine Intervention" for how it all came about. I am giving a workshop on getting published the end of this month. I will probably have some hubs on the subject as a result of getting the info together.

I read the article - and I really needed that positive re-inforcement! I am off to write some queries. . .

12. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Not yet published. Wrote a novel, "O Lucifer, Son of the Morning" but its still being reviewed by a publisher. I suggest you try and find a suitable traditional publisher that'll make time to review your work. Subsidy publishers are out! Goodluck.

13. lafenty profile image66
    lafentyposted 14 years ago

I have had a few short stories published in national magazines, but my long fiction is as yet still unpublished.  I've finished two novels and three screenplays, but not luck as for as selling them.  It seems to me that non-fiction might be easier to publish, at least there are more markets for it.  Anyone agree,not agree.  Thanks.

14. yoshi97 profile image55
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

Having already been published, I can tell you it's a long and bumpy road. Luckily, I had many good mentors along the way to help me out.

I started writing a series here to help other authors out, but the real gist of it is that you need to read a lot, write a lot, and seek out others who will be honest with you about your work.

There are hundreds of books out there that tell you how to write, but most are bland, overwritten, and miss the point. We just need good examples to get us on the right path.

Fortunately, there are hundreds of great examples in every bookstore. After all ... those books already made it, and they should provide the knowledge and information to place yours on the shelf too.

Just know going into things that most authors write for 10 years before seeing any kind of recognition, and few make enough to ever retire off of their writings. This career path is definitely one for those who are driven to persevere. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)