Weekly Topic Inspiration: Everyday Accounting

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

I have come to realize that a big part of becoming an adult involves responsibly managing one’s own finances. Though we’re not all trained accountants, we do have to develop some basic accounting skills. Let’s share the useful methods and resources we’ve developed and discovered as part of this week’s Weekly Topic Inspiration theme!

Here are some search-friendly titles to consider:
    Personal Accounting Spreadsheet Template
    Bookkeeping and Accounting 101
    Accounting Basics Tutorial
    Accounting Tutorial
    Bookkeeping Tutorial
    Financial Accounting Basics
    Important Accounting Lessons Everyone Must Learn
    Accounting for Non-Accountants
    About Accounting

I also noticed MOST related queries were about finding good accounting software:
    Free Personal Budget Software
    Personal Money Management Software
    Personal Financial Management Software
    The Best Personal Accounting Software
    The Best Free Home Accounting Software
    The Best Bookkeeping Programs for Families

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Stop by this week's Weekly Topic Inspiration Question.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

1. anupma profile image67
      anupmaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good topic, I will certainly participate. Finance management is really very important for everyone, as our present and future really depends on it. So one must be careful while making their budget.

Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Glad to hear it, anupma! I can't wait to read the Hub!

2. Kelley1987 profile image64
      Kelley1987posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't really have a good head for finance so I'm passing on this week's topic sad. But definitely looking forward to see what next week's topic will be!

Understood, Kelly1987! It's not for everyone. smile

I'm thinking the next WTI topic will be food related, since this month most folks would prefer to create Hubs that have a chance at winning prizes. Hehehee!

3. Kaili Bisson profile image96
      Kaili Bissonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Simone,
      Just posted a Hub on setting up - and keeping up - spreadsheets for a small business. I hope others will find this helpful.
      http://kailibisson.hubpages.com/hub/Boo … l-Business

Well, I most certainly do! Thanks for putting that guide together!

2. cashmere profile image77
    cashmereposted 11 years ago

Here's my hub for the weekly inspiration
    http://cashmere.hubpages.com/hub/Free-P … preadsheet

This is a great Hub- filled with much-needed common sense! Love it.

1. cashmere profile image77
        cashmereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Simone

3. JPhillipi profile image54
    JPhillipiposted 11 years ago

Yep- balance sheets and income statements are quite important!

4. JPhillipi profile image54
    JPhillipiposted 11 years ago

HERE IS A HUB ON DIFFERENT PERSONAL FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE.
    http://jphillipi.hubpages.com/hub/perso … t-software

The table you put together for this Hub is fabulous!

5. Global-Chica profile image92
    Global-Chicaposted 11 years ago

Hi there! I'm sharing some of my knowledge of international accounting for this week's WTI: http://global-chica.hubpages.com/hub/In … ing-Basics

This is so useful- and refreshed my memory on a lot of accounting standards details I have stopped thinking about since my business school days.
      Your explanatory Hubs rock, Global-Chica. Heck, ALL your Hubs rock. Quite enjoyed this one, though.

6. shuck72 profile image79
    shuck72posted 11 years ago

Not sure if this is what you were getting at with the topic but the question gave me the idea for this hub.

I use this method to keep tabs on my own budgeting.

http://shuck72.hubpages.com/hub/Making-A-Daily-Budget

This is EXACTLY what I was getting at! Awesome Hub, shuck72- and great use of a simple example to get folks started.

7. nina64 profile image69
    nina64posted 11 years ago

What a great topic to write about. Years ago, my major in college was accounting. In a way, I hate that I gave it up because it had become so complicated. There are so many facets to accounting. There's the regular accounting, advanced accounting principles, cost accounting and list goes on and on. Of course, with today's technological advances in every aspect of our lives; accounting is now computerized. All I can say is that it takes one mistake to ruin any financial document; whether it is a ledger or a spreadsheet. One wrong, misplaced number and it's back to square one and you have to start all over again to find any errors.

How cool! Though I can see how the complicated nature of the field can make it harder to stick with. And hear hear on the 'one small mistake ruining everything' front- when I studied accounting in school, that would ALWAYS get me! I hated hunting around for errors.

8. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

I everyone! Our latest Weekly Topic Inspiration theme, drinks recipes, is Cookbook Contest-friendly! I hope you'll join in. smile

9. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

Here's my latest entry - how to create a spreadsheet to calculate how much you need to retire early.  Sorry, I couldn't publish this earlier because there was a glitch with the tables.

http://millionairetips.hubpages.com/hub … ur-Savings

10. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 11 years ago

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?

If you want to take the first steps in accounting, you can't go wrong in learning this timeless budgeting technique!

http://shazwellyn.hubpages.com/hub/A-Be … -Budgeting

11. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

Here's another one I started, using your title. 7 Important Accounting Lessons Everyone Must Learn

http://millionairetips.hubpages.com/hub … Must-Learn

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)