Weekly Topic Inspiration: Dog Leash Training

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Christy Kirwan profile image93
    Christy Kirwanposted 11 years ago

Happy Tuesday, Hubbers! Dog lovers, gather ‘round.

Has your dog ever tried to bite her leash or drag you along at her pace during a walk, instead of yours? Does she fight the collar or try to chase other animals? What techniques and training methods do you use to curb those bad habits? Share your advice and experience for our new Topic, Dog Leash Training.

Ideas for exceptional Hubs include instructions for training dogs to stop pulling or biting the leash, explanations of the most (and least) effective leash training methods, and tutorials on maintaining your dog’s good behavior during a walk.

P.S. I would LOVE to see original photos of your pets for your Hub this week!

NOTE: Please keep in mind that the WTI is meant to focus on a new Topic each week, and that submitted Hubs should be written FOR that Topic. This week’s is Dog Leash Training. If you’ve already written a Hub specifically in the Dog Leash Training Topic, please feel free to share it, but the WTI thread is not the place to self promote your old anything-dog-related Hubs. It’s about creating something new together.

To join in on this week's challenge by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Stop by this week's Weekly Topic Inspiration Question.
    2)    Click the green "answer this question" button.
    3)     Instead of answering the question in short form, click the gray "make a Hub about it" button. 
    4)    Give your Hub a title that follows our guidelines on crafting successful, competitive, search-friendly titles, which namely involves...

A. Creating a title that is short and descriptive, matching what someone would type into a search engine when looking for information on the subject.
    B. Researching the keywords (the things people might type into search engines) by Googling them to make sure that the topic is not already extensively covered online and that you can beat the top results.
    C. Covering a subject about which you are particularly passionate- or in which you have unique, useful expertise.

5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    Make sure the images you use are legally used and properly attributed so that your Hub has a chance of being selected as a Hub of the Day.
    7)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this Forum Discussion and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

If you missed last week’s Weekly Topic Inspiration, you can find it here.

Christy Kirwanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey everyone, thanks for participating! Check out this week's new WTI here: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/111478#post2373118

2. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

As a very, very unskilled dog walker/handler/person, I am intrigued to see what tips Hubbers have to share! big_smile

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

A true story...

At this very moment there is an extremely vicious, very large dog in my neighborhood. This dog is chained or leashed outside most of the time; I'm not sure which as to whether chained or leashed. Anytime anybody walks by, this dog goes absolutely berserk, not just barking, but absolutely slavering; and tries with everything in its power to break loose and attack whoever is walking by. It is not a matter of if the leash/chain/bolt/hook breaks; it is only a matter of when.

If this topic falls within the WTI parameters, and somebody wants to write a hub addressing this issue; I will print it and give it to the dog owner and/or the relevant PTB that can do something about it. Seriously, somebody is going to get severely mauled or maimed sooner or later.

Oh heavens, that's no way to leave a dog, and it's a danger to the neighborhood! I'd recommend calling Animal Control in the meantime, paradigmsearch. You can do so anonymously and you might just save someone from getting hurt.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are right. Next time I see the dog outside, I guess it will be time for me to become proactive on this issue.

2. agilitymach profile image94
      agilitymachposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Chaining a dog actually increases frustration - and thus aggression - in dogs.  Animal behaviorists strongly discourage chaining or tethering dogs.  Dogs should be kept behind secure, escape proof fences to help diminish aggression.  Some more progressive cities have ordinances against chaining dogs.  You might check to see if your city has such an ordinance.

3. Austinstar profile image85
      Austinstarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Other than that, I would carry a spray bottle of vinegar when walking by to discourage that behavior.

4. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

On a separate note... I am amazed at the number of people who want to keep hate-filled animals in their home. Believe it or not, this particularly applies to many chihuahuas. When it come to that breed, I have never seen so many hate-filled critters. I don't get it. Oh, well. Leastwise don't have to worry about getting maimed, just bitten. And before I get buried by pro-dog folks, I am one of them.

There might even be a lazy dog breed in my future. big_smile http://habee.hubpages.com/hub/Lazy-Dog-Breeds

Most dogs are sane. I am just amazed at the number of people who keep dogs that aren't. Seriously, whatever the breed, if the dog is filled with hate, get rid of it. Otherwise, it is just plain bad karma.

5. Austinstar profile image85
    Austinstarposted 11 years ago

A better topic might be, "How to deal with people who don't know how to treat pets correctly."

6. barbat79 profile image62
    barbat79posted 11 years ago

I trained my large dog as if she were a horse....lol its true..i make clicking sounds and use her lead as directional as well as a nice flip of it to mean "you can cross now"   I may write an amusing hub on this one.

7. barbat79 profile image62

I also taught them all hand signals   for water and out and food   also happy    It is a one of a kind of cross training  I am not sure professionals would agree with   lol

1. agilitymach profile image94

As a dog training professional, dogs actually respond to hand signals and non-verbal communication MUCH, MUCH better than verbal communication.  Remember, dog's communicate almost exclusively non-verbally.  They watch us like hawks for the slightest non-verbal signals.  My boys will respond to a pinky movement. smile  So, yes, hand signals are, in my book, a must for dog training as it will reach the dog where he is at better than voice.  And as for the leash, as long as your dog understood it and it was trained via positive methods, it's all good!! big_smile

1. barbat79 profile image62
        barbat79posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow  thank you afilitymach!  I appreciate knowing I am not all silly  LOL
        I love love love my dogs and they know it!
        They each have several nicknames and their own special "theme" song...When I talk to the big one as she walks and I sing to her she curls her tail more and holds her head up high. 
        One sunny day, I was walking her and wearing sun glasses and she is trained to stop at any new road before crossing...I couldn't help but be proud of her and laugh at the same time since I found out a lot of people thought she was a seeing eye dog!   I adopted her from a couple that was moving   She looks like a white husky mostly. 
        I am amazed yours respond to pinky movement!    I will look to see if you write a hub.  I would find it interesting!   take care!

LOL!!  I have "theme songs" for each of my dogs too.  I know others who do the same thing.  My boys like to be sung to as well, and even my hard of hearing boy likes it when I get next to his good ear and sing.  I won't have time to write on the weekly topic unfortunately.  It's hit me on a busy week.

oh lol  You are cracking me up!  I so enjoy the fact that someone else sings to their dogs. People I know don't.  I am disappointed, however, that you won't be able to write a hub!  Oh darn   Maybe you can in the future!   Thank you, I think you made my evening on hubpages!!!  Take care! SAY, maybe I should do a video hub with me singing theme songs to my dogs!  Just kidding!  BFN

I think you should write a hub on how to sing to your dogs.  Do a little research on how music affects dogs and bam - a very unique and probably no much covered topic. smile

Interesting...mmm   It is almost like singing to your baby or reading to your children..it keeps the pack happy and keeps their mind active
                We are the leader of the pack  Dogs think of us as one of them.
                I think of one of mine in particular like a monkey   I will have to think that one over.  One of my Jacks makes a little hug groan  He actually hugs around my leg and when I put my arms around him or scratch his chin he kind of grunt/groans.   Dogs are amazing!   I am looking for your next hub!

2. Christy Kirwan profile image93

agilitymatch, it sounds like you have a lot of great knowledge to share on this Topic! If you don't have time right now, you can always write a Hub on an old WTI even after a new one has been posted, so please feel free to come back to this Topic and write one later. smile

Yes! I would love to hear/read agilitymatch's hub for sure!!!

3. barbat79 profile image62

@agilitymatch, please write a hub about your songs for your dogs too!  I will.
                I would love to hear your versions of songs!

That sound fun barbat.  I will have to think about it.  It's good to know the inspiration topic stays open for a while.  I will have to consider that too.  So much to write...so little time!!!  Thanks guys. smile

smile

2. Christy Kirwan profile image93

barbat79, I would LOVE to read a Hub on your "horse training" method! It sounds really unique and original!

I will try it out..I am not a professional trainer, but a "mother" of children and love my dogs.  So my methods came out of necessity and instinct.  Thank you Christy for your comment and encouragement.   I will take it on as a challenge!

smile

8. barbat79 profile image62

Hi!   Here is my contribution...

http://barbat79.hubpages.com/hub/A-Hors … larger-DOG

Great Hub, barbat79! Kiki sounds beautiful, and I really like the part about rewarding her good behavior with love and attention.

Thank you very much, Christy!  She is an awesome beauty and sweet.  I love writing about my dogs.  They are incredible creatures.  Oh they get so much attention from me and individual time.  When my Jacks are sleeping, Kiki is with the family (with me) watching TV or listening to music and getting her belly scratched and petted and brushed.  She moves to get scratched where she wants you to. They are majestic dogs.
        I will need to write another about what happens to her coat as it gets warmer! Omg.   Talk about fur! Imagine it floating away in tufts like dandelions.  I call them Kikilions! smile   Thanks for your encouragement! I wound up writing it!

9. Brett Winn profile image80
    Brett Winnposted 11 years ago

It's pure coincidence that I saw this, but just last week (inspired by all of the sad stories in the media about dog bite fatalities) I wrote this hub: http://brettwinn.hubpages.com/hub/How-D … al-Attacks

You might want to print it and put it in their mailbox. It's written from the perspective of how to avoid suddenly finding yourself in prison for having harbored a dog that escaped and did the unthinkable.

I hope it helps ... and you should take every precaution to be pro-active and safe. This is nothing to take chances with!

Best wishes!

Good Hub, Grett Winn! It sounds like the kind of advice paradigmsearch's neighbor could really use. Sadly, I think some people don't even realize their dog is a danger to others either because they're in denial or because the dog is friendly and loving to them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)