Is it Best to Have Only 8 to 12 Tags

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Chuck Bluestein profile image62
    Chuck Bluesteinposted 11 years ago

I saw this somewhere but do not know where. I see hubs with a lot more than that.

2. tirelesstraveler profile image61
    tirelesstravelerposted 11 years ago

We have to have at least 2; I think you can have as many as 30+.  Too many tags make the hub look like spam. I am sure there is something about them in the Learning Center.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I don't think tags do very much and rarely have more than 2-3.

4. Healthy Pursuits profile image79
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years ago

Tags are used only within HP to show related hubs on the sidebar. The tags are not used outside of HP, by Google or other search engines. The way I treat tags (well, except for older hubs that I haven't cleaned up yet)is to have only a few that are pretty specific. Otherwise the relative hubs shown could be about almost anything.
    For example, if you've created a how-to hub on refinishing furniture and you have a tag "table", you could end up with relative hubs that are anything from recipes to tours of the table lands of the Mongolian steppes. So be specific and experiment a little. Put in a few tags, then after you've published your hub, view it to see what relative hubs have been chosen for display.

1. Vampsdes profile image90
      Vampsdesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh I had no idea that's what the tags were used for.  Thanks for posting this.  I must have missed that along the way.  I'm going to go clean my hubs up now!

5. Chuck Bluestein profile image62
    Chuck Bluesteinposted 11 years ago

I thought that the tabs are looked at by the search engines to help to know what keywords your site is about. There are social media bookmarks and some of them ask for tags to help the search engines, not to link articles to you.

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image79
      Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Tags in HP are not the same as tags outside of HP. In HP, you want to make sure your title, subtitles and picture captions have keywords in them. And of course your hub text. That was confusing to me, too, when I started writing for HP.

Chuck Bluesteinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is there a place that hubpages says this? Yes I know about using the keywords in title, subtitle and picture captions.

2. Chuck Bluestein profile image62

So it was confusing to you in the beginning but then you learned something that is totally wrong. I guess you learned it from others that are confused. I have answered my own question right above this. Here is what Hubpages says when you first enter the tags (exact quote).

"Tags can be important for people using a ►search engine◄ to find internet materials on topics. They ►alert the search engines◄ that you have relevant material on the topic described by the hub. Tags should be descriptive words and phrases."

A book on SEO says that 8 to 12 tags are best. But I just put 13 tags on an article. The idea is that the less tags, the more weight each one gets.

Well, if that's what you say, you'll have to go with it. I won't.

I am not saying it. Hubpages is saying it.

If you don't believe what you're told, then why don't you just look things up for yourself in the first place. To ask for help then tell the people who are trying to help you that they're basically full of it is rude.

I've seen many of the more successful hubbers discussing tags in both forums and hubs. They are people who have been making at least part of their income from HP for several years. I'll go with what they say. The reference that you're making is probably the one written by "hubpages" that had me confused when I first started writing for HP. So that's all I have to say. You do what you want and I'll do what I want.

6. floriferous profile image61
    floriferousposted 11 years ago

It's the keywords/phrases you use in a "high quality" article that attract the search engines, not the tags. I see a number of outdated things on HubPages. The tags are for in-house searches. I'd be very surprised to learn otherwise.

So you are saying that the above by Hubpages is outdated?

7. floriferous profile image61
    floriferousposted 11 years ago

Yes:) My experience off HubPages tells me it is. Tags don't have the Google juice that quality and keywords have (in that order). Ten or more tags probably won't hurt or help. With that many though, you will end up using terms that barely have a relationship to the article.

I could write a hub on this, but should I. Tags and keywords are in 2 different categories. Keywords are in your mind. Tags are somewhere in the article. So keywords should be in many places for best results. Put keywords in title. Put then in URL (HP does that). Put them in links going to your article. Put them in heading and sub headings. Put them in the beginning of the artcle. Put them in 3% to 7% of your text. Put them in descriptions of images. Put them in metatags. On most websites these are invisible to people but visible to search engines to help search engines.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)