A Penny Saved is a Penny earned

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image61
    Jo_Goldsmith11posted 11 years ago

How many of you still save your pennies? When you have enough of them do you get the penny roll papers and count them out to see how many rolls of pennies you have? I have just started to do this recently. We have a jar in our home where we keep the pennies in. I was surprised to find we had $20.00 in pennies alone. It only had taken me an hour or so to get them all together. Just curious on if any of you save and then see how many pennies you have. smile

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6789565_f248.jpg

1. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Pennies aren't what they used to be...they don't seem worth the trouble..wink

2. WannaB Writer profile image88
      WannaB Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do put my change aside. I spend my pennies as fast as I can so I don't have to roll them. I save the larger coins for when I run out of food money and need more to get to the end of the month. I don't have to do that very often, but it's handy when I do need to. Since I have a business where I sometimes need to make change, I figure it never hurts to have the change around.

2. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

Hahaha.... Yeah.. Nice Try!!! smile

But I'm still Not Telling where I store my pennies! big_smile

Jo_Goldsmith11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@ pearldiver,

darn! you caught me! (LOL) just kidding.

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Every time I get 50 cents worth of pennies, I take a blow-torch to them and turn them into a slag heap of copper. I then sell it to the recycle center for triple the money.

Just kidding. Pennies aren't made of copper any more. Besides, the government becomes quite perturbed when people do that.

government perturbed? with me saving my pennies? umph!
      I am perturbed about our government! so there government...penny for your thoughts? smile

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This would be illegal and making the statement whether true or not, could end you in extremely hot water.
      True enough. However, everything before 1982 is made of copper. wink
      Yes they do which is why it's illegal to destroy U.S. currency.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I told them I was kidding!!!

(Paradigmsearch starts looking for where he put that passport...)

1. Pearldiver profile image66
          Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's in your coin bag! smile

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
            paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is New Zealand nice this time of year...?

4. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

From the title, I thought this would be a thread about Adsense.

sorry smart and fun..no it's not. Adsense is a joke. I have tried it out and wasted three years with them clowns..

5. Dr Pooja profile image60
    Dr Poojaposted 11 years ago

My hubby travels the world for work and there is a huge number of coins of all possible places ....don't know how to keep them and whether they are worth it!!

1. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You let him worry about the coins.... Just tell him you want the Notes! big_smile

2. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image61

interesting. I would recommend you see a coin collector to find out. Thanks for posting. smile

6. Dr Pooja profile image60
    Dr Poojaposted 11 years ago

@Thanks Pearldiver.Never thought of that .Will do exactly the same when he comes back from this trip..ha..ha

7. sjwigglywoo profile image67
    sjwigglywooposted 11 years ago

We have a penny jar which we save all our coppers and 5 pence coins. I take it to the supermarket where they have a coin counter, a percentage goes to charity and you get a ticket which you can either cash in or use in the supermarket. It buys a few extra treats for Christmas.

8. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

I still have a loose change jar but never get around to rolling them.

About ten years ago a girl raising money for her school offered to roll all my loose change, and let her take the penny rolls for her fundraiser. I thought that was a lot better than foisting magazine subscriptions on me, and I let her take all of it but the quarters I needed for laundry. smile

Thanks for the reminder; I think the local Coinstar machine will give you the full amount as an Amazon gift card, which is actually useful to me.

9. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

@OP- both my mother and I save pennies, and turn them into wrapped rolls eventually.

10. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

Money, in any demnomination, is money.  So I'm not picky.  I collect all my spare change for a few months.  Then I take it to my bank, which has a free coin-counting machine and a teller who will tally what I have.  I don't care to sit and roll my own coins.

11. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Slightly OT, does anyone remember the "doubling" craze. The idea is you find your first penny on the street, and then think of a way to double it to 2, and then double that to 4, etc. After I've forgotten how many steps, but not many, you reach a million (pounds or dollar). You cannot use any other money, only your "doubling fund".

There were loads of people blogging about it a couple of years ago. I think some reached into the low thousands, but most gave up at a fairly early step.

People said it was useful in that it made you think about how to obtain money in various ways. Obviously, as the amounts increased, you had to look at investing the money whether in goods to resell or in various financial ventures.

1. sjwigglywoo profile image67
      sjwigglywooposted 11 years agoin reply to this

oh I have never heard of that, but my friends dad does a Sunday morning walk around the town center and collects lots of coins and saves it up in a jar for the grandchildren.

1. Specialk3749 profile image61
        Specialk3749posted 11 years agoin reply to this

My mom saves hers for her grandchildren too!

12. profile image0
    Kommadantposted 11 years ago

I keep all of my pennies and other change in a jar and then cash it in after a few months.  I then use that money that I cash in and invest in a mutual fund.  I figure ~$30 every three months in a mutual fund is better than sitting around in a saving account or wasting it on something dumb.  I do collect pre-1982 pennies though.

13. Specialk3749 profile image61
    Specialk3749posted 11 years ago

When I break a paper bill, I save the change in a jar that I keep near the washing machine.  I keep it there because I am constantly finding change in the dryer, etc. and I just throw it in.  The kids and I counted it last summer because it was almost full and I had almost $300!  The jar is now almost half full again.  We are saving the money for gas to go to Disney World...someday!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)