Suggestion: Return "Click to enlarge" feature

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 11 years ago

Sometimes people don't want to see the whole slide show.

1. MickiS profile image74
      MickiSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Users can close the slideshow lightbox after seeing the first picture.

Click to Enlarge means having to add a second link or button a photo, and that's way more confusing, no?

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It may be confusing to some, although I've never found it so.

On the other hand I believe I've seen a few complaints that some photos, used to describe particular features, very much need to be full size to gain the benefit of them.  That is not always practical as they take too much room and can destroy the appearance of a hub.

I've never posted a complaint, feeling that others covered the problem well enough, but I am one that very often uses photos in this manner and the loss of the click to enlarge feature has hurt the usefulness of many of my hubs.  Words often cannot convey the information of a photo, but lots of full size photos ruins most hubs that are offering information other than pretty pictures.

One hub in particular, about wiring a 3 way switch, has gone from 200 views/day to around 20, and the drop roughly coincided with the change.  Without the large photos (and text tell the reader to "click to enlarge" the hub isn't nearly as useful.  The details simply aren't very visible in a small photo, but there are way too many to make full size.

2. Michael Willis profile image66
        Michael Willisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would also prefer the ability to "click to enlarge" on our photos. Why would I want to click through many images just to see the one I am interested in? Makes me just not look at other hubbers photos!

I would like my readers to be able to look at one specific photo of their choice if that is what they wanted.

Example Micki: I have before and others also, may use a small photo of a chart that needs to be enlarged to show details or certain information. This photo is relevant to the paragraph it is located within. It is distracting if you have to go through other photos to finally get to the one you are looking for. RIght?

1. ptosis profile image67
          ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

!Ditto!

2. snakeslane profile image81
    snakeslaneposted 11 years ago

I would like to see the click to enlarge option returned as well. I find the images in the slide show are too small. Maybe there is some way to view them larger that I don't know about?

1. PegCole17 profile image93
      PegCole17posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Me too! I miss the click to enlarge and find myself putting full sized pics in hubs where the smaller sized ones would have looked better in the formatting. Also at the end of the slide show people now have an option to look at photos by other authors rather than finish reading my hub. Taking people off my page is not why I put pics out there.

3. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

Can we get a response from HP on this issue?  A yes, no, or maybe?

The reason I ask is that so many of my own hubs depend on the details in photos for information necessary for the hub; if that detail is going to continue to be no longer available then I need to either drastically modify the hub or simply delete it. 

In addition, I continue to write informative "how to" hubs and really need to know if I can reasonably use photos for detailed information or if I need to do something else to provide what the reader needs to know and understand.  Using high resolution photos is a waste of resources if it isn't needed and costs in terms of load time for readers and I don't want to continue doing that if it can't be used.

1. Michael Willis profile image66
      Michael Willisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree, we need an answer. I will have to also modify  hubs where I have in the caption to "click to enlarge" photo. There is a purpose to have the ability to enlarge a "specific photo" instead of having to work your way through a slideshow.

4. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years ago

You are kidding me!! Has the 'click to enlarge' feature gone? This is a nightmare for some of my hubs where a picture was very fine in detail e.g. a graph or an Adwords screen. In each case I clearly stated that each picture could be clicked on to enlarge to a size where the relevant details would be apparent. Now this will look like an error on my part unless the feature is put back. What a stupid thing for HP to do, and with little to gain in return, (but a load more grief for hubbers affected!!) Is there never going to be any end to these changes to the site that seem to be creating more problems than they solve???

5. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 11 years ago

I personally don't mind that it takes you to the slideshow... it does take you to the picture you clicked on within the show. Also, it was immediately obvious to me on how to exit the show.

What I do miss, though, is that the pictures don't seem to be as big. Some of my pictures are most helpful when the user sees a much larger version.

I currently have them in the nested, smaller version within the hub so that the viewer can optionally view a larger version. I don't want to crowd my hub with a bunch of full-size pictures.

It would be nice to be able to opt out of the slideshow on some hubs, like before... and in those cases, the click-to-enlarge feature would have to be there.

That's the problem, all right - even in a slideshow the photos are still the size of one flushed right.  There is far too little detail in many of them to do a reader any good. 

That was a really nifty feature that added a lot to hubs using photos for explanation, but as it is the photos are nearly worthless except to pretty up a hub.  Detailed information is, for the most part, unavailable from them.

6. Greekgeek profile image79
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Yep. The one-size-fits-some slideshow "feature" is just a nuisance -- it covers up our best photo with an ugly banner and it distracts visitors from reading our hub. They view all the pictures and click out, without clicking on ads, without clicking on links, and without getting the context of the images. In articles where we're teaching something, or articles where the graphics are illustrations of sections in the articles, the slideshow is nonsensical, disorienting, or confusing. But that's only a nuisance that degrades the quality of the article.

Whereas losing the "Click to Enlarge" feature has actually disabled some of our hubs from being functional.

We had diagrams, graphs, charts, and they're no longer legible.

Even in hubs where the photos were just beautiful photos, now our visitors are stuck with a slideshow that doesn't show the detailed versions of the photos, as they did before you implemented this new slideshow. (Before, in slideshow view, people could click on the slideshow image to pull up a full-sized image, and they had no problem figuring this out since we tended to add a "click to enlarge" caption. It WAS working... and that's how Hubpages has worked for years. That was one of the reasons Hubpages was a better place to post photo essays than other websites, in fact!)

It's pretty sad showing people a photo I snapped of sunspots during the transit of Venus -- but now, since the change, the sunspots aren't visible and Venus is only a dot. Guess what? When I wrote another article on another website, where I hand-coded a "click to enlarge" link for each photo, the page gets 100-200 visitors a week. Here? One. Just one! That's not entirely due to Panda, I suspect.

I understand.  I had a hub wowrth nearly 200 views a day and it has dropped to less than 50 on a good day.

It depended heavily on photos for details and that was lost.  I've enlarged the pertinent and important pics to full screen, but this harms the appearance and readability of the hub.  It will be interesting to see if traffic comes back at all - I'm sure some of the loss was penguin, but not all of it by any means.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)