Proving God exists through bible passages.

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (12 posts)
  1. writeyourwrongs profile image45
    writeyourwrongsposted 11 years ago

Hi all. Before I write this post I would like you to all understand that I am agnostic. I don't disregard the possibility of there being a God, yet at the same time certainly don't believe there is one.

What I'd like everybody's thoughts on please, is how using biblical passages makes sense in anybody's terms for an argument trying to prove God exists (which, incidentally is impossible).

Far too often I have read an argument which will run along the basis of "God exists, look: [insert biblical passage here]". This can never ever work - as to believe in the bible you must first believe in God, and therefore if somebody is trying to convince you God exists by quoting a book that can only be considered reputable if you already believe in God, it is a pointless exercise.

Your thoughts please?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Bible convinces believers that God exists.  It convinces non-believers of nothing.

Many Christians don't seem to understand this.  Many non-Christians don't seem to understand this.

Opinions don't really need a source that everyone agrees with to be valid to the person holding them... if they did they would be fact.  Many non-Christians don't understand this.

Proof of your opinion needs to come from a source that everyone agrees with to be considered fact.  Many Christians don't understand this.

Religion is an opinion.  Many non-Christians and Christians don't understand this.

writeyourwrongsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Insightful response, thanks :-) This is the kind of comment I enjoy reading (incidentally I'm not as such looking for an answer to a problem, I'm just trying to open up a bit of conversation here so everybody feel free to weigh in)

2. twosheds1 profile image60
      twosheds1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Bible can't be used as evidence. Does Vishnu exist because the Bhagavad Gita says he does? Does Wotan exist because Norse eddas say he does? No.

Though I'm pretty sure this proves the existence of Odin, right? lol

1. twosheds1 profile image60
          twosheds1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, you have to prove he DOESN'T exist!

1. pennyofheaven profile image79
            pennyofheavenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We first might have to agree on what God is.

3. Pamela-anne profile image80
      Pamela-anneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Believing that God excists is something that comes from within an individual; if you believe from your heart and soul that he excists then for you it is so.  In the end it is left to us to decide for ourselves what we believe in. God or no God this is the freedom of choice and with this there is no right or wrong choice; to each his own.  take care pam.

4. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're talking about The Almighty, All Knowing God of the bible. You're a funny person! lol

If that is the description you want to put on a G/god, then by all means seek help. Go pray some more for guidance, as I can see it hasn't helped yet. lol

2. Druid Dude profile image59
    Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

As proof they make no solid argument whatsoever. The proof is all around you. The proof is inside of you. I was agnostic, and am not now a christian, though I heed the council of the man called Jesus. I also heed the teachings of others, all of whom I consider to be my brothers...not my lords or masters. I have experienced proof, to my satisfaction, that there is something of a higher order than we are concerned with what we do, and that it is part of our reality...whether we like it, or not, and whether we believe it, or not. It convinced me, but what I actually saw, would not have convinced you...it was what was going on in my mind at the same time which convinced me. It was also not a single example. I was hard to convince.

You make excellent points - what is enough to convince one person is not enough to convince another, which is where the faith element comes in. I know people who say they KNOW without shadow of doubt that a particular religion is right - not believe or think, but know. I know others of conflicting religions who say the same thing, meaning such knowledge collides, rendering it faith not knowledge. Religion is a funny thing.

1. Druid Dude profile image59
        Druid Dudeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am a church of one. God lives here. You are achurch of one, and God lives with you also. The state sure wouldn't like this one...churches are tax exempt.wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)