Suggest Links tool cannot even find Tenerife

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Tenerife Islander profile image67
    Tenerife Islanderposted 11 years ago

I just tried using the Suggest Links tool and was dismayed to find that it not only cannot find a city like La Laguna or the town of La Orotava in Tenerife, although I have hubs about these places, it cannot even find any suggestions for Tenerife!

1. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've found this with the link tool. Sometimes it is just plain useless. Even getting it to search for the exact title of a hub you want to link to often throws up a blank.

It does not display the best hubs on a topic either. I have checked a few of the links it tried to temp me to use, only to find the hubs were unpublished or spammy.

Best to open another tab and search for hubs to link to. The search function within the site is pretty good, and you can quickly and easily find not only your own hubs, but those of others you might want to link to. This also allows you to easily check the quality of the hub.

It is not a good reader experience if your links go to badly titled, unrelated hubs with very little info, even if the title looks as if it promises the answers.

1. mary615 profile image82
        mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

IzzyM, you are SO right!  I've given up on the linking tool.  I will take your suggestion.

2. Tenerife Islander profile image67
        Tenerife Islanderposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Izzy! I got disillusioned with the link suggestion tool before but it used to be at least a quick way of adding links to your own hubs on a subject. Now it cannot even do that!

2. Reality Bytes profile image76
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When I am looking for links, I highlight the term I want to use as a link in the text box during editing,  then I click the chain (add link), it offers suggestions and allows a search for hubs.  smile

The question is though why does the tool no longer work?

1. Reality Bytes profile image76
          Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not sure exactly.  I find the suggest link tool currently being used to identify links within the body of text.  When I use it, the tool highlights the links that are already there.

IMO, it never worked very well, most of the suggestions were unrelated to the hubs.  This may have caused problems to the entire site.  I removed all links that I placed using the tool after receiving warnings of unrelated links.  I deleted all of them and added my links manually.

Naively, I once thought that if it was recommended by HubPages then it ought to be good but I found out otherwise. In which case I don't really understand why we have it!

2. mary615 profile image82

Yep, that's the way to do it!

1. mary615 profile image82

The suggestion made by Reality Bytes is a good one.  I just went to a Hub that I published yesterday and was not able to use the linking tool.  I was able to link by highlighting the word and click on "the chain".  I actually like linking that way better.
          A lot of Amazon products show up when you link  that way.  Guess that could be a good thing????

1. IzzyM profile image85
            IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure if they are a good thing or not. they just seem to show the product number, not a link through to buy under your referral tracker but I could be wrong on that.

I tried using the Amazon links once or twice, but as soon as I had finished editing got an 'overly promotional' warning, so had to take them off again!

Thank you for your feedback too, Izzy!

And btw, I am getting some Google traffic for this.

3. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry about the Suggest Link tool's current state.
      We are aware of the following issues:

KNOWN ISSUE: Suggest Links Tool not working in IE
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/99449

KNOWN ISSUE: Suggest Links Tool shows only community posts as target
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/100585

Those Forum threads will be updated when we have resolved the issues.

Thank you for posting the latest on this issue, Matthew!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)