Why are so many poor quality hubs getting high ratings?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. 4wardthinker profile image70
    4wardthinkerposted 11 years ago

I understand that we don't have to be english majors to write hubs, but i thing that we should at least stick to some basic standards. I have seen high traffic and ratings on hubs that are filled with type errors, grammatical errors, words not being capitalized, content that has a title stating one subject with research talking about something completely different, and worst of all, copied content from other sites. I stumbled on a topic I was researching and found some great information. A few days later, a popular hubber who has hundreds of followers and high scores had copied most of the same info with the exact same pictures. Why does this still fly? It just don't make no sense?

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There are hubs I have reviewed that fall into the category you are talking about to a degree.  I do not flag them. Some are people who are just learning that are possibly from another part of the world, attempting to do their best.  Many that fall into the category or categories that you reference, overall, when one overlooks the "mistakes", have great content, theme and topic. Those are what I "see" when I am reviewing a hub.

As for the mistakes, one would hope, that over time, with more experience, these mistakes will be corrected.

Spam and just really weird stuff that makes no sense, I will flag it for review.  I particularly hate seeing a hub when hub hopping that has been voted way up, yet will have five or more links to the same site or domain.  If you are hopping, you need to be reviewing the various things such as that....over promotion, and not so much the typos and grammar.

Just my thoughts not necessarily do they have any value. smile

4wardthinkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For the most part, I look at hubs based on topics and overlook mistakes. I think what really bothers me is when there is plagiarism or when someone writes on a controversial issue then doesn't have any information to back it up. It is almost like a bate and switch tactic. Sometimes I wonder if people even read the hub before making a comment in those cases. By the way, thanks for overlooking my intentional mistakes I made in question.

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
          Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lol, I was NOT going to say anything about the mistakes... I felt that it was a bait for sure. smile

2. tamron profile image68
    tamronposted 11 years ago

They eventually get flagged or the content filter unpublished those articles.  You probably seeing newly published articles.

If you see poor quality hubs flag them hubpages are doing their best but your talking about millions of articles being published.

Do not flag a hub with just a few errors.  Instead contact the author by email where it says contact on there profile page.

We all have bad days and we all make mistakes.

Thanks tamron for your input! I agree we all make mistakes and have bad days. I guess I just look at it like any task that is performed. If you are going to do something at least give it your best shot. I don't believe anyone expects perfection. This is a place where everyone can explore their own talents and learn and grow. It's not really the writing styles,mistakes, or content. It is the honor system doesn't really reflect the hubs being written. Just an observation!

3. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

Many people call themselves writers, but they are far from it.  There is crap on the Internet.  Unfortunately, you have to wade through the crap to find what you want.  I refuse to notify a Hubber on the mistakes made.  It is none of my business.  You write crap, you'll write crap until you take a hard look at your writing and change your ways.  Popular?  That's a myth.  Many so-called writers here get by with a little politicking and a little help from their friends.  Your writing should stand on its own.  Unless you want to pay me to edit your crap, I either flag it or move on.  If a "writer" here has a pattern of unacceptable writing, I simply X them off my feed.  I don't want to bother.

Thanks for your thought on my question. I agree with you completely. This is just an observation. I wouldn't flag another hub because it isn't my problem. I am not talking about the content crap that is written. That is a matter of preference and interests. I guess nobody has noticed my subliminal message within my initial question.

4. tamron profile image68

I agree with you!  I hope I didn't come across the wrong way I didn't mean too.  I know I am guilty of writing crap specially if I have been up all night I tend to make a lot of mistakes.  I have had times where I read and reread and didn't find any mistakes than a few weeks later I would read my article to find tons of mistakes.  I found gingerit and afterthedeadline and use both to edit my articles.  Although they don't find every grammar error at least they do find the obvious.

I still have article that need to be edited with gingerit.  Just can't always find the time.  Not only that you lose track of the last article you edited because our articles rotate in our accounts.

Thanks again tamron!  You don't come across negative. You don't seem to fall into the "I don't give a crap" crappy hubs category. We all have a different definition of crap anyways. ??? You are a good writer in my opinion.

5. tamron profile image68

Thanks that makes my day!  That was so sweet!  I don't know what to say.  I usually have some kind of remark but you stumped me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)