What you think about london olympics :)

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (40 posts)
  1. mikegeek profile image61
    mikegeekposted 11 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6948229_f248.jpg
    Well London Olympics have started yesterday smile What you think about London Olympics? what is your favourite game and best player?

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just watching the opening ceremonies and getting in the groove.
      Always love the Olympics!
      Haven't seen any events and just one interview with Michael Phelps!

2. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We just watched the ceremonies, they were amazing! Can't answer that question until tomorrow. smile

1. tussin profile image56
        tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was actually kind of disappointed in London's opening ceremonies after having seen the Beijing display 4 years ago.  Then again, Beijing's act is a tough one to follow.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image55
      prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The opening was fantastic, got to have a glimpse of the Britain culture and history! How they managed for the Queen to glide is nice, I still think it must be Daniel Craig! wink

Basketball, swimming, volleyball and gymnastics are some of the sports I love to watch!

2. Shanna11 profile image76
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

I love how they kept it fun and fresh and light-hearted, while keeping with tradition and ceremony instead.

Makes me want to go exercise or be athletic or something crazy like that.

3. filaes profile image41
    filaesposted 11 years ago

time to say "Woow"

4. profile image55
    airticketsindiaposted 11 years ago

another wow !

5. readytoescape profile image61
    readytoescapeposted 11 years ago

Opening Ceremonies were really quite stunning, much better than Beijing! Congratulations to the people of Great Britain, well done.

Best parts: toss up between the Queen with James Bond and Forging the rings.

The Olympic Flame Cauldron is absolutely Spectacular! The concept, the art and the engineering WOW!

mikegeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm agreed with you .i just watched the ceremony. I was really impressed . That was really awesome smile

6. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I thought it was awesome!

7. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 11 years ago

it was lovely for me, living in Ireland but my heart still in England.......

Highlights for me, were Rowan Atkinson......  Chariots of fire.

The health care in England is amazing, but you do not appreciate it til u do not have it...... Free to go to doctors, wonderful hospitals.......  I loved seeing all the kids from hospital.

David Bowie music amazing.........  And the hard workers that slaved in mills, down mines, etc......  All my grandparents, would have worked hard in the mills in the North of England..........  It was great to see all the effort put in to remembering those days...........

Lots of volunteers too....... you dont get many people wanting to volunteer, but to see so many at one go was brill..............

I love david voice that was fabulous smile

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I thought the opening ceremonies were fascinating.  So many WOW moments.  I liked watching the progression and loved the montage of Brit music through the ages.  The bicyclists with the dove wings and the Arctic Monkeys singing Come Together was incredibly creative and beautiful.

I don't have a favorite athlete or game.  But I'm definitely keeping my eye on Phelps.  I may even jump in the  pool and do some laps today!

9. Green Bard profile image70
    Green Bardposted 11 years ago

I personally think it is another vast waste of money, but then I have no interest in sport!

10. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

Obviously I'm a Brit wink and I loved it. It wasn't too London centric either ( I'm a Mancunian) so opening with the story of the industrial revolution was great, had a really northern feel. It was very Danny Boyle, very inclusive- profoundly deaf and hearing children forming a choir, real NHS staff, real patients and of course the Queen- superb!

11. readytoescape profile image61
    readytoescapeposted 11 years ago

I thought the homage to English Literature was pretty good too. I did not know that Peter Pan Author of J. M. Barrie left the rights to his works to the London Children’s’ Hospital.

12. rebekahELLE profile image85

I found a setlist of the songs from the ceremony if anyone else is interested.  The soundtrack was fantastic.
    http://www.nme.com/news/nme/65150

The song Caliban's Dream was so perfect as the young torch bearers made the final run to the Olympic cauldron.  Sung by Alex Trimble ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … 8GZkEpD4#!

I also loved the homage to Brit children's lit, brilliant.

Hey,

Thanks rebe i'm just listening these songs smile

2. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

These videos have been banned by the International Olympics Committee.

Can I take this opportunity to say f*** you to the International Olympics Committee.

They are trawling local street markets policing the most minor copyright infringement. And now they are doing the same online.

Forbes has a slightly deranged but interesting perspective on all the control freakery surrounding this event: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill … verything/

This quoted from the Guardian:

The London Olympics will host the biggest mobilisation of military and security forces seen in the UK since the second world war. More troops – around 13,500 – will be deployed than are currently at war in Afghanistan. The growing security force is being estimated at anything between 24,000 and 49,000 in total. Such is the secrecy that no one seems to know for sure.

During the Games an aircraft carrier will dock on the Thames. Surface-to-air missile systems will scan the skies. Unmanned drones, thankfully without lethal missiles, will loiter above the gleaming stadiums and opening and closing ceremonies. RAF Typhoon Eurofighters will fly from RAF Northolt. A thousand armed US diplomatic and FBI agents and 55 dog teams will patrol an Olympic zone partitioned off from the wider city by an 11-mile, £80m, 5,000-volt electric fence…

London is also being wired up with a new range of scanners, biometric ID cards, number-plate and facial-recognition CCTV systems, disease tracking systems, new police control centres and checkpoints. These will intensify the sense of lockdown in a city which is already a byword across the world for remarkably intensive surveillance.

13. Tracy Lynn Conway profile image94
    Tracy Lynn Conwayposted 11 years ago

I enjoyed the opening ceremony, the Thames River footage was great in that it gave a sense of place and set the stage for the agrarian portion of the performance. It was the  human component that touched me the most and was the simplest to execute and this included Micheal Branagh speaking the words of Shakespeare, Mr. Bean (the comedian on the keyboard) stole the show in his own way, as well as the children singing and signing, their voices were angelic.  I appreciate that children were a big part of the production.

On the topic of sports, I can't wait to see what happens with Phelps tonight now that he squeezed in 8th place in the qualifying round after winning 2 gold medals at the last 2 Olympics in the very same event...this should be interesting!

BTW, thank you RebbekahElle for posting the music link!

14. rebekahELLE profile image85

You're welcome! I was searching for the name of that final song with the torch bearers.  It's so beautiful.
    It was written by Rick Smith of Underworld, who along with Karl Hyde (Underworld), directed the music for the ceremony.

15. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

Thanks Ms Rebekkah.

I am also excited to watch boxing - women boxing, it is the first time US will compete.

1. Sawfishlagoon profile image59
      Sawfishlagoonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

At least the boxers are still amateurs!

16. rebekahELLE profile image85

I know videos from the actual event are banned.  The one I posted is still available online.  If you haven't heard it yet, it's worth the click.  It's music only.

1. Will Apse profile image88

Sorry, drives me crazy this level of surveillance. The UK has sunk to the point where all it has to offer are some old songs, some old history and some failed banks.

It is trying to hang on to these dubious assets but the desperation is showing.

After 30 years living in London (off and on) I am glad I escaped when I did.

The English countryside is hard to beat.

1. Will Apse profile image88

You will struggle to find a poppy or a cornflower. Meadows are pretty much a thing of the past too. Hedgerows? A sign of a farmers laziness or hopeless romanticism.

The only natural wildlife communities are on inaccessible cliff faces.

Agribusiness, with satellite monitored chemical fertilizer and pesticide application is standard and mono-culture holds sway.

What is there to like?

I suppose the quaint village cottages bought up and restored by London's well-to-do are sweet.

I was in England when was very young, many years ago. I have been watching "Peroit" on public television, lately. They may have shot it from the last places left. The ones you mentioned. It sounds like what happened to my home.

That is the main reason I am here, I am a conservationist making a feeble attempt to educate the public.

2. WriteAngled profile image76
          WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I fled England for Wales, and find the Welsh countryside far more beautiful and inspiring than anything in England. I'm looking out over my valley and the mountains behind as I type this, revelling yet again in the changing light.

As for the Olympics, they do not interest me in the slightest. I haven't  switched on the television for more than a year and have not bothered to switch it on for this event either.

Instead of watching canned sports, I had a marvellous time at St Fagan's Museum of Welsh Life on Friday, mooched round Cardiff Bay, went on a boat trip and met up with Bookcrosser friends yesterday, and had a great day out today at the Big Cheese Festival in Caerphilly!  smile

I have only seen pictures of Wales. It seems to have a unique, primordial look to it. I understand the Celts are still entrenched there. I have a bit of that blood surging through my veins. Some of my ancestors came to America from Ireland to escape the potato famine. There are several more nationalities and ethnic groups circulating through my heart as well. I am a one man melting pot, like President Obama.

Why do you need to make me jealous? I want to go, too!

2. CyclingFitness profile image91
            CyclingFitnessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You don't think the Peak District or Lake District can compare to Wales?

I have to admit though that Cardiff is a great city although is hosting Olympic events so you haven't quite fled the histeria

1. WriteAngled profile image76
              WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, I don't. The Lake District is admittedly pretty, and I have been there a number of times and climbed Scafell Pike as well. I lived in Sheffield and then Nottingham in the period 1989-2008, went into the Peak District numerous times, went up and round Kinder Scout several times, and know the area well. Neither region catches at my heart and soul in the way Wales does.

I do not live in Cardiff, and have not noticed any hysteria where I am! Actually, Cardiff Bay seemed pretty well an Olympics-free zone when I wandered round there yesterday. I noticed a couple of road signs for "Olympics Park and Ride" on my way in and out of the city, but that was all.

17. Sawfishlagoon profile image59
    Sawfishlagoonposted 11 years ago

My love of the Olympics has been tainted ever since the USA pushed to allow pro athletes to participate. The Olympic spirit is supposed to be one of fellowship of amateur athletes. We were so worried that the communist countries with their state sponsored athletes beat us on occasion, that we forgot about the smaller countries whose athletes scrape by the best they can for the love of the sport and joy of the competition. Now young American amateurs do not get their chance to shine, and we must watch the same old pros play tennis, basketball and on where no true amature has a chance to win. The "Dream Team" is a nightmare.

I believe the day the rules changed marked a shift in our culture that ushered in this age of selfishness that is causing the demise of the financial and business system.

18. Eric L. Andrews profile image58
    Eric L. Andrewsposted 11 years ago

Are there any 'amateur' athletes anymore?  The good ones have millions of dollars pushed their way via endorsements, etc.  The few minutes of the opening ceremony I saw were interesting and quite a production.  The Queen seemed bored, and what was with all of the pyramid symbolism, including the one in the middle of the track within the Olympic torch?

How about the lady rummer from Afghanistan? There is at least one person with the good old spirit, and I don't think she gets much support at all.

I have a book of Olympic history from the 1960's. It is full of pictures from the games before WWII. All the male athletes are swimming in a lake (some with no clothes on), lounging under trees with a picnic lunch, having a grand meal in the dining hall, grouped around a piano singing, and generally having a good time.

In an atmosphere like that, the league of nations seems like a great idea.

Now we have our modern culture and the UN.

"The way to hell is paved with good intentions." (Benjamin Franklin)

19. CyclingFitness profile image91
    CyclingFitnessposted 11 years ago

You can certainly see some beauty away from the touristy bits though Uninvited Writer. I prefer to stay a little away from Windermere and Keswick myself to get away from it all

20. mikegeek profile image61
    mikegeekposted 11 years ago

Well china is on the top now guys smile

21. ftclick profile image56
    ftclickposted 11 years ago

great stuff at the olympics. Swimming gets more exciting each time.

22. LanaLu profile image60
    LanaLuposted 11 years ago

I watched the opening of the Olympics from Work and almost got in trouble for it until everyone in the office including my boss joined me smile I love sports and the competition and skill improves every time... I wish they would bring it to NY like it was suppose to but then again the traffic in New York City would be a nightmare...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)