MSNBC egg on face?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (22 posts)
  1. habee profile image89
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Roger Simon recently wrote a satire, in which he said Ryan's nickname for Romney is "Stench." MSNBC's O'Donnell jumped on it and reported it as a fact. Simon notes at the end of his piece that it was satire. Wouldn't a responsible journalist at least call the writer to check out sources? Ryan has never referred to Romney as "stench." Check out Krugman's comment:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/some- … hat-romney

Morning Joe played a clip of a Romney rally, where the crowd's yells were hard to make out, so the network ran a caption indicating that the crowd was yelling "Ryan, Ryan." Mitt asked the crowd to cheer "Romney-Ryan." MSNBC was trying to make Mitt look bad. The crowd was actually cheering "Romney," and Mitt asked them to add Ryan's name. BIG difference. And, BTW, liberal media like HuffPo and the NYT say that the crowd was chanting "Romney," not "Ryan."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/26/us/po … often.html

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I saw both of those. Honestly, I don't expect much from any news source. Fox is too far right. Everything else is too far left.

The thing is, we live in a digital age. Every story should be sourced. Every audio clip or video clip reported on should be available, unedited... News should be responsible.

Like the right wing editing Obama's 'you didn't build that' speech... or the left saying Romney likes to fire people...

It really sucks, because politics are so important, but very, very few people think for themselves... they just follow party lines.

2. JSChams profile image61
      JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You don't expect them to actually fact check themselves when a smear will do just as well do you?

3. Josak profile image61
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dumb mistake, to be fair the notice that it was satire was added later after people started taking it seriously. Not great journalism on the part of people who didn't check their facts though.

1. habee profile image89
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

True, Josak, but wouldn't someone as intelligent as O'Donnell be expected to recognize satire? It was a pretty nasty claim, too. I would have checked with Simon before reporting such a comment to the world, and I'm not a "responsible journalist." lol

I rarely agree with Sean Hannity, but I do pretty much agree with his statement about the credibility of the media - it's dead.

4. profile image0

I hadn't seen the ODonnell clip... can you say wow? He was *this close* to giggling during the whole thing.

5. 50 Caliber profile image60
      50 Caliberposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Egg is not what I would describe that is on there face, they played up on any and everything derogatory, true or not. They are a sad excuse for media, they do have the MSNBC businesses edition of the Kudlow report that shoots hard and strait on our economy.
      I'm a prepper, and I fear more than anything I've ever feared in my life, waking up November 7th and finding an Obamanation just got 4 more years and the next false flag attack will put the streets under marshal law.

1. habee profile image89

Hi, Dusty! Glad you stopped by!

1. 50 Caliber profile image60

Hi Holle,
                          I've been watching the two of a couple of my favorite hubbers busting a few forum topics, and I like civil discussions and you and my Mom got her title for stomping Mighty Mouse into a mud hole then walked it dry and come spring roses popped up and grew 8 foot tall with 6 inch roses and she turned into "Mighty Mom"and getting a spanking from her is a scary proposition.LMAO. Either way I'm getting notifications from the pair of all y' all and the and you are both running ahead of anything that I ever sampled here in the forums  and I appreciate the order of peace that you two invoke.
          Civility goes a long ways in a discussion where people like teapartycrasher doesn't insult me over a civil comment not aimed at her, nor did I know she was present  or I'd have passed even stopping to read it.
          So, I thank the Apprentice and the Elite for the 5 star topics and the way they are ran, I'll have to seek out an apprenticeship and see how the program works, but until then...........
          space,
          Hannity got it right, the media that announced the assassination of President Kennedy, Martin Luther and Bobby Kennedy, three people who would still be making intelligent politics, I can only imagine the difference they just might have been produced in this round of of political environment, sorta brings tears to my eyes in memory of authentic news casters that said Good night to each other after bringing the actual fact checked news, Mr. Cronkite said "and that's the way it was, at 1:40 pm est, Friday  November 22nd 1963" when closing the news cast of the
          assassination of President John F. Kennedy.  An era where the API news rolled off a machine in tape form as it came in and didn't lean right or left, it was a strait shot as all reliable sources got their news the same way with the exception of a telephone call to beat the 20 minute delay that often happened.
          I'm sad for folks who missed American integrity, seems I was born as America was dusting off it's pants after the "Great Depression" and it's part in ending the Second World War, we had gas ration stamps, sugar stamps and I'd have to dig out all the ones my Dad didn't use or give to someone who needed a bit of help.
          Thanks for a great topic stirring the memories of an honest nation that my father served as a Marine, Island hopping, walked the hot ground after the two bombs on Japan and made it all the way to the "Great Wall of China" where they patrolled against a possible Chinese rush to take power of a decimated Japan.
          Imagine protecting the beat enemy........ we have a media and government that has lost it's integrity, very SAD

1. habee profile image89

I appreciate that, Dusty. I can discuss just about anything with someone who's rational. Even though we don't always agree, I really like Mighty Mom and respect her and her views. She and I can have fun without getting all "bent out of shape." lol

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I thought that 'stench' thing smelled a little fabricated. What happened to journalists checking their sources?

1. habee profile image89

For real. And BOTH sides are guilty. I rarely trust MSNBC, and I trust FOX only a tad more. To me, CNN seems the most fair.

1. profile image0

Yeah, CNN probably is the most fair... unfortunately....

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/104248

9-3 = reluctant

3. S G Hupp profile image82
    S G Huppposted 11 years ago

I wouldn't classify myself as a liberal or a conservative but I'm going to have to disagree about CNN being most fair. I watch fox news ( as well as the rest of them) because I've learned that if you're not paying attention to fox you are missing an astonishing number of stories that the left wing media doesn't want you to see. A recent study counted negative stories in the media about Romney and other conservatives at a rate of 13 to 1 when compared with Obama---and it's not because there weren't plenty of bad things they could be saying about both of them--it's because extreme media bias has become standard operating procedure. Every time someone puffs up and proudly announces that they wouldn't be caught dead watching fox news it makes me sick. Anyone who refuses to be subjected to more than one side of an issue or chooses to remain ignorant of facts they disagree with is part of the problem. I am a HUGE fact checker by the way and the assertion that fox is a lying propaganda machine is asinine. They are doing the same thing the rest of the media is doing only the slant right instead of left.

1. paintphd profile image60
      paintphdposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No other media outlet aside from Fox will allow rebuttle from the opposite side of the issues, regardless of how negative their rebuttle may be. Sure, Fox commentators will argue with a conservative slant, but if they didn't, who else would? Mainstream media won't even report on affairs that may put the current administration in a bad light. It's scary to observe the flagrant abuse of editing done by both sides. When the outcome of presidential elections can be decided by media outlets the democratic process has been cheapend and compromised. The recent polls have been manipulated to favor Obama due to the use of weighting the stats with the same voter demographics of Obama's 08 campaign, knowing the young and black vote isn't going to turn out this cycle as they did in 08. But in presenting the skewed poll results they're hoping to sway the undecided with the appearance that Romney has already lost.

4. Repairguy47 profile image59
    Repairguy47posted 11 years ago

MSNBC? Their two viewers must have been pissed!

1. habee profile image89

lol lol lol

1. 50 Caliber profile image60

LOL, that's what I'm talking about some good humor! in the mix goes a long way!
        Holle, I think Mighty Mom has my number when it comes to dark humor and cutting up, I try to send her a quick laugh when I find one.
        How do quotes get 10 ft tall?

2. JSChams profile image61
      JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah it would have been three but Olbermann was in the bathtub.

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

There's some good, some ridiculous and a whole lot of theater on both sides.
    Do they really believe everything they dish out?
    Do they consider themselves journalists or entertainers?
    That line sure does seem blurry, doesn't it?
    Anyway, good job, Habee, on catching an MSNBC gaffe (or was it intentional? Only Lawrence O'Donnell knows for sure, I guess).
    Rolling eyes and shaking head.
    Now, here's a great example of (IMHO) Fox doing a super job of straight up journalism.
    Didn't get the answer he wanted, but he sure did work the interview like heck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdZYZIqllCk

1. habee profile image89

lol. Kudos to Wallace!

6. 50 Caliber profile image60
    50 Caliberposted 11 years ago

I think back to the days of yore, and just before the 2008 primaries got fired up there was a man that enjoyed his job he was straight forward and asked the hard questions, no one escaped his interrogations, politicians loved him but cowered at the thought of the invitation to appear one the show with the eraser board he used as his trade mark.
    I was sad the day I found he had dropped dead in the studio floor a few minute before the show Meet the Press was about to be taped and forever on this earthly plane I think we lost the most passionate. hard but fair news man this country may have ever seen.
    TIM RUSSERT
    I wish he were here to tell me what was true and what was right, he was a light house on a shallow rocky point that burnt out 8 years to soon.
    I had a glimpse of that in the clip just shown with Mr. Wallace.
    Seems we are loosing the truth and integrity of any media source aired today.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)