If You Could Choose?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (28 posts)
  1. tammybarnette profile image61
    tammybarnetteposted 11 years ago

If you could choose to add or delete certain aspects from your chosen political ideology what would that be? Or if you would want to create you own party, what would you have that party to represent?

Myself, I would create strong regulations for entitlement programs: Drug testing, work or volunteer in order to receive benefits, possible time constraints...I would want to end the money game, by outlawing lobbying, and campaign contributions...I believe we should stand by our constitution and rid ourselves of all policies that do not measure up to that standard...just to name a few...

2. kathyinmn profile image61
    kathyinmnposted 11 years ago

My goodness there is so many things that are wrong with our government that there is not enough room to list all that I would change. I will choose 1 issue and talk about that.
    I believe that a working America is a strong America. People who are working, pay taxes, buy things, contribute to society, they are off assistance so they are not using up the governments money. The problem is that there are not enough jobs here for the people even if they want to work, so how to bring more jobs to America?
    First thing I would do would to investigate the companies who are outsourcing jobs that should be here. These jobs are mainly call centers, and customer service people. Granted that they are not high paying jobs, but they are jobs that will help to support a person. So many of these jobs are outsourced that bringing them back would help to decrease the national unemployment by almost half.
    These companies I would force them to pay a fine that would increase every year until they bring back those jobs. Also, there would be no government help to any of these companies.  This “fine” money would be put into the national debt to help pay that off.
    With the increase of jobs, and less people on welfare and unemployment, I would set up government day care for working parents with a very low fee, depending on their income. This would also help to increase the job market.

tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Kathinmn, Very good points:) Manufacturing jobs started leaving our Country in 2001, I believe we should also bring our industrials home, or charge "fines," as you mentioned...manufacturing has always been the largest part of middle income Americans...I love you affordable day care idea, that's brilliant smile

1. kathyinmn profile image61
        kathyinmnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If mom's would be going back to work, they will need affordable day care. The cost of day care is outragous!

I know, when my now grown daughters were 1 and 2, I deperatley needed to work but my pay would have all but $50 a week went for daycare, so I worked a lot of night jobs, waiting tables and mall retail stores, which do not pay a great wage but at least it would be more than $50 a week...That was almost 20 yrs ago, so I can imagine the cost today...

1. Petra Vlah profile image59
            Petra Vlahposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What my son is paying for his daughter is $1375 a month (just a little less than the mortgage!)

3. TexasLadyJuanita profile image60
    TexasLadyJuanitaposted 11 years ago

There isn't much about my political beliefs that I would change. I am pro-life. However, I also had a relative by marriage die from a botched abortion in the mid sixties from a backwoods hillbilly clinic somewhere in the Carolina's. How do we reconcile that? What she did was wrong based on her own religious beliefs. She was at least 7 months when she made the decision to abort. She felt that baby move in her womb. If I could, I would ask her how she could kill her baby, which also meant her own death. I have read that abortions are on a serious decline with the development of film of the baby in the womb - film of the baby from conception through birth. Consequences. Should we ban abortions, mothers may be forced to have back woods hillbilly clinic abortions - but, those women will have to face the consequences of their choices. Until the in womb film, I don't think too many thought about the consequences of our easy abortion society. There are consequences. My first child was born awesomely healthy and beautiful. My second child was miscarried in the 4th month. I was told by 3 different doctors that I would have no more babies. I cannot tell you significantly in words how heartbreaking that is. I still feel the loss of that baby, and I am 60 years old. My third child was born - a miracle baby for me - he had some problems, like many early babies do, but soon enough he became health personified. At my 12 weeks checkup, I was pregnant. Did I want to have relations that quickly? NO. Enough said about that. My physician told me I could not carry the baby. My husband inflicted mental abuse to me on a daily basis. The marriage was not good. I was the sole breadwinner in my home. I went back to work at 4 weeks. My doctor did a D&C two mornings after telling me I was pregnant. To this day, I regret letting myself to be talked into the D & C. At that point, I was told by my doctor that it was a minuscule group of cells, no life. I still wonder if I could have carried that 4th child. I had my tubes tied so I would not have to go through that decision again.
    I know that my pro-life stance becomes more popular among women each year. I will be happy when all women choose to have their babies, even if their only choice is to put them for adoption. I have known so many couples that could not have children. None of us are perfect, and I like win / win situations.

Texas Lady, are there things you would like to add to your chosen party platform?

1. TexasLadyJuanita profile image60
        TexasLadyJuanitaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sending education back to the states, and the parents.

What do you mean about education back to states? Are you referring to the federal pell grants for poor children to be able to obtain an education and therefore a better life?

4. FIS profile image72
    FISposted 11 years ago

More than I can say in a post.. but... four things that I think are very important: A: Change the law that says that the only thing a corporation should be concerned with is paying profits to it's stockholders to say that they also have a responsibility to the communities where they are located. B: Strengthen anti trust laws, prevent companies from getting "to big to fail" and start breaking up those companies that are already "to big to fail" and C: start taking science seriously... this would include doing something about climate change unilaterally  and immediately... starting to work on some sort of defense against asteroids hitting the earth. Okay.. an asteroid strike is a long shot... but we only need one to render us extinct. Survival should be a priority. D: Sustainable communities. Communities should be able to produce the food, water and energy that they need to stay functional regardless of what is going on in the rest of the world.

I would make sure that no legislation was ever done based on "computer model theory." Those scientists who have collected real data have put out reports proving that global warming is a myth of a theory, and those who perpetrated it upon the ignorant masses have made billions.
      The "theory of evolution" is plagued with proven fraud of the examples. It is shameful that this is taught to our children as facts. The dumber downed the populace the more the few will get richer off of these theories.

I disagree just by the weather I see out of my own window, and the migration cycles...this alone shows times are changing drastically, The melting ice caps, etc., much evidence without the needs of "data"because as you point out , all data can be manipulated.

I have lived 60 years and the weather cycles are the same as they were. When I was much younger it was the "coming ice age" that they made money on. There are more crooks than weather problems.

Have you not noticed more than cyclical changes however, for instance, I live in TN, for the last 2 yrs July has been hotter than Any August in history...I would say, wow August is going to be a killer if this is July, but, twice noe, it's been an earlier fall type instead of the August monthe I am so used to here in humid TN. The migratory patterns and certain bug infestations have changed. I believe they are learning more with every technological advantage. We are also having lots of flood and tornado activity, not characteristic to East Tn...i do take faith in the modern sciences, and I am a Christian as well(as I know you are as well) and I see a lot of things from the good Book, I agree that time frames are ambiguos, but I see change...

2. tammybarnette profile image61

Bob, Thank you so much for coming to share, I haven't seen you in a bit...Yes corporations need to be socially responsible , that was the design from the beginning. I took a lot of bussiness classes getting my degrees and all, including marketing, spoke to the social responsibility factor and ethics and integrity...this is greatly missing in society as,in my opinion, the love of money is the root of all evil or simply put greed! I have a biggie on this subject I am posting this evening, hope to hear your thoughts there as well.Yes, it would be awesome if the ignore it so we do not have to deal with it approach as concerning global warming, contaminated waters, etc would be dearly departed thinking, and we could join together as a country behind science, research and development.

5. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

Interesting set of thoughts and ideas, but I guess I'm just strange.  Nearly everything I see involves either the govt spending more money (subsidized day care, meteor protection, etc.) or more government control and removal of individual or corporate freedoms (declare who a company can or can't hire, require companies to donate monies to local communities, limiting a companies ability to grow, etc.)

My take on the matter is to :

1) Provide for a balance budget each and every year.  Do not spend more than we take in.

2) Allow as much freedom as is possible while maintaining a society.  If a company wishes to move jobs overseas, that's their prerogative.  If enough people care, they won't buy from that company and someone else will fill the niche.  Govt. control should be a last resort, not a first.  Limit government as much as possible rather than expanding it.

3) Solve the illegal alien problem once and for all, and take steps to see that it remains solved.  You want jobs? Fine; get rid of the illegal aliens flooding our borders.  You want less taxes?  Fine; stop supporting citizens of other countries with free medical, free education, free food, etc.  The quick method is to get rid of them, the slower method is to accept and integrate them into our country, but whatever is chosen, do something rather than nothing at all.

4) Continue and strengthen the fight to remove religion from government, as per our constitution.  Accept that states do not have the power to promote a govt. religion anymore than the feds do.

You got my vote. I would send those who's loyalty is Mexico by their own statements and actions - send them back to change their country into one they will be happy with.

2. tammybarnette profile image61

I agree 100% on the balanced budget, while climbing out of a giant hole as we have been I understand the delicate nature of the task, but want to see progress, I also agree with the seperation of church and state issue...I say this a lot, I believe this is what makes our country fundamentally different from the extremist societies such as the middle east. With Immigration, I believe we need to fast track the ability to be an American citizen and pay taxes inside the borders which one resides. Which is why I do not support businesses being allowed to ship our jobs and money,as in taxes, away to say China or India...I find your number (2) the hardest to accomplish. When businesses are left to their own devices we have rampant corruption and business' are comprised of people...money and power have the ability to destroy perfectly good human beings...So it seems we have more in agreement than not smile It is nice to find that we the people are not nearly as polarized as the media would propagate us to believe...

6. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 11 years ago

(1) I would end all corporate welfare... the only thing I would except is the practice of states or cities offering tax subsidies to entice a large company to begin their operations.. this drives competitiveness.  Why do we allow oil companies that rake in $20 - $40 billion in profits quarterly to keep receiving tax breaks for R&D?

(2) I would end farm subsidies.  I find it ridiculous that some farmers are being paid not to grow crops on their land, or being told what kind of crops to grow on their land so that the crap the country allows in from other countries can be competitive in our markets.  My college roommate had 500 acres in central Illinois, connected to over 1500 acres that his father and uncle owned and all of them were being paid not to grow anything and since they were being paid they couldn’t even have animals grazing on the land.

(3) This is a state issue, but I would institute drug testing subjection in order to receive welfare benefits of any kind.  If you have to take a drug test in order to keep a job, why not to get free money from the taxpayers.  This shouldn’t be a problem but it is.  In the cycle of poverty, many sell or trade their benefits to buy drugs or other things that they can not get with their EBT cards.

(4) I would reverse the law that our Jackass mayor Rahm Emanuel pushed through prohibits any law enforcement or business to question the citizenship of anyone or refuse services because they do not have a legal US ID card.  I’m all for legal immigration but we have to make it hard for those that are here illegally to be rewarded with jobs and benefits that they obtain on the backs of American taxpayers.  I also agree with the Dream Act provisions because every person that comes here illegally steals that opportunity away from someone that is trying to come here through legal channels.

(5) I think lobbying serves a purpose but there must be better regulations.  I would establish a law that ends the corporate political spending that was made legal by Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission.  This would end the corporate stranglehold held on the US.  It would also prevent these huge Super Pacs from  influencing our elections.  Note that Oil giant Chevron wrote a $2.5 million check directly to Speaker Boehner’s Super PAC. It’s likely the largest corporate donation in the history of Super PACs.  If corporations want to be treated like people then they should have to play by the same rules and have limits on contributions just like individuals of $5000 max.

(6) If corporations want to move manufacturing jobs overseas then their products should be met with tariffs when they bring them back here to sell.  Also, there should be tougher sanctions on countries that do not monitor copyright, trademark, and patent infringements.  I’m tired of cheap Chinese knock offs flooding our markets unrestrained.

I agree 100% smile Very well articulated!

7. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

My party does reflect my own ideology -- in theory.
    What I would want to change. I would want a thorough audit of government programs to see just what they are doing and how much overlap there is with other programs.
    I am not in favor of simply throwing more government at any problem.
    Public-private partnerships can be a really good way to solve problems in a non-bureaucratic way.
    Some of the laws they come up with (I'm talking mostly state level here) are absurd and really make me wonder when will the day come that we all must dress in rubber suits and helmets to "protect" ourselves from inadvertently interacting in any negative way with our surroundings.

I concur that we need to get rid of Citizens United. It is the worst Supreme Court decision ever. Corporations are NOT people!
    I would like to see companies incented to create jobs in the US.
    I would like to see retraining programs for mature workers. Some industries simply are not going to come back. Ok then. Let's figure out what jobs we CAN have here, that we CAN create here, and make sure we have a skilled workforce to meet the demand so that new jobs are NOT shipped overseas.

I agree get religion out of government. The First Amendment guarantees each of us the right to worship how we please. Nowhere does it say we have the right to impose our own religious beliefs on others. There is entirely, entirely, entirely too much time and energy (and Congress votes) wasted on depriving citizens of their rights and privacy.
    Here's a clue -- if you are truly pro-life, try broadening that definition to include what happens to both the child and the mother after the baby is born.
    Adoption is a terrific option.
    Why not take a look in the foster care system in your state and see just how many children are already available to adopt?
    Plenty.
    If you don't believe in abortion, don't have one.
    What other women decide is really none of your business. It's their life, not yours.
    If you don't believe in contraception, don't use it.
    But don't cut of other people's access to it, because they do want it -- and need it.
    If you don't like the idea of gays and lesbians getting married and having/raising children, close in your little social circle and hang out with other heteros only.
    Maybe if you can't see it, it won't frost your buns so much.

Education is a national issue and quite frankly, a national emergency.
    Healthcare -- don't even get me started on that.
    I believe we as a nation need to treat our veterans and our elderly with utmost respect.
    Lots to do there.
    Immigration -- I always read with interest people's views. Don't want to get into that can of worms.

Finally, if I could change one thing about my party, I would tell them to frigging GROW A PAIR and learn to market themselves and their ideas better. We continue to let the GOP own the conversation about who we are and what we do (or don't do). The truth is far removed. Dems need some PR.

MM, Our ideological beliefs make us soul sisters smile And largely one of the Reasons I have so much respect for Obama; frankly, he has a "brass pair" What can you see as the biggest reach across the isle, bipartisan action, that could draw both parties center, and benefit Americans the most?

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You really want me to answer that, tammy?
        I'd like to see some long arms reach across that aisle and put a few choice members of Congress in a full Nelson. That's what I'd like to see.
        No more holding the American people hostage, ya dig?
        No more thurmbing your nose at the president.
        No more signing pacts with Grover Nordquist.
        No vows to make Obama a one-term president, even if it means hurting the very people you are here to represent.
        No more working for corporations instead of the American people.
        No more tin foil hat science that denies climate change.
        No more pasty white middle aged men dictating women's sex lives.
        NO MORE.

They've made it clear they won't respond to civility or negotiation.
        Ok then.
        The New Rules of BIpartisanship start with BIfurcating a few of their pansy arms.

Enough is enough.

BTW, When Tagg Romney threatened physical violence, he was just defending his dad, right?
        So no one should have the slightest issue with my proposal, either.

MM, Girl I love your passion smile I agree with everything you have posted...I am asking more policy wise? Pretending it's just dueling ideolgies and not the POTUS and R/R...How could we moat effectively find a middle? For instance, the Conservative belief of small gov't , low regulations, little to no taxes etc as opposed to a government that caress for the poor and elderly and runs a lean mean military, imposes taxes to the top as well as regulations...Where would middle ground be in your opinion?

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
            Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this
  8. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

Well I'm an independent voter, so I'll take a stab at other political parties:

Democratic: Put the economy first and foremost; worry about expanding social 'help' programs second. We would probably need less of these 'social help programs' if more people were employed.

Republican: STFU about abortions and gay marriages. Stick to the "small government" platform which is your claim to fame, and quit trying to expand the government to control people's personal lives.

Libertarian: Drop the legalizing drug talk.

Green Party: Drop the Occupy platform; you would get more votes if you quit demonizing the corporations that many of us work for an rely on for moneys. Drop the legalizing drugs talk, too. Drugs are illegal for a reason.

My ideal party: Libertarian minus the legalizing drugs. I like their take on removing government from ALL marriages and letting people do what they want in that department. I also like their take on not spending deficit, which is also a Republican thing, but they have some backwards views on "small government" on which the Libertarians take the cake, if you ask me.

Fantastic smile This is a great example of why I started this thread...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)