Facebook now has Nigerian Scammers trolling through HP writers beware

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (23 posts)
  1. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 11 years ago

Just had a nice looking girly add me on FB, with about 40 mutual HP friends - so accepted.

Started to chat with me.. from US but living in Nigeria! Gave me the line about having money to get out of the country.. can i give bank account details and she ill send to me..

So I told her I as 12 and had no account.. so asked me to get my parents details so they can help my parents!!

Marina Smith - is she your friend on FB????

beware

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the heads up smile

2. dailytop10 profile image85
    dailytop10posted 11 years ago

It really saddens me that some people do these evil deeds for money. But thank you for the info.

3. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

OMG.... Really?
    Thanks for the Heads Up mate...
    Isn't that Ahmed Gunman's wife??  yikes
    The new Nigerian Lotto smartphone apps are apparently being launched next week also...
    $50 for 100 chances with your own choices... but your first four numbers must match your CC pin..
    so the transaction can be verified roll  smile

4. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Why doesn't the US just block that whole freaking country. I mean if China can do it, then so can we. As far as the censorship issue goes, tough. When they clean up their act, we'll unblock them.

1. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Ol' "Sorry the S-Bend is currently being used" trick... - that'd work... excellent work 69!   lol

5. LeanMan profile image80

I thought funny that anyone thought that they could convince someone to part with bank account numbers so played with them.. told them I was 12... so they told me to get mum or dads details so they can help them!!!!!!!!!
    Stopped being funny at that point when i realised that my kids sit on FB half their life!

Have sent messages to all the mutual friends.. some already knew.. but she is friending everyone through HP links..

6. jimmythejock profile image84
    jimmythejockposted 11 years ago

I have had a couple of emails from scammers through Hubpages too in the past.....jimmy

7. Drive-by Quipper profile image58
    Drive-by Quipperposted 11 years ago

Patty Inglish is a Nigerian scammer? Go figure.

8. dwachira profile image78
    dwachiraposted 11 years ago

Yea, or her father was a prominent man in the government who was killed by rebels and that she was left with huge sum of money that she want to transfer into a foreign bank account...bla...bla..bla. They use all these types of scams but i didn't know they have invaded FB too, thanks for the alert.

9. incomeguru profile image96
    incomeguruposted 11 years ago

They are those frustrating the effort of the Nigerian Government to rebranding the country's image abroad. What a shame on those trying to reap where did not sow.

That's why so many of them work out of the UK and the Puffin Island resort in the Hebs  sad

2. IzzyM profile image87

For good folks just as yourself, this whole Nigerian scam thing is such a shame.

If they were Scottish scammers, it would be awful to have my country associated with them. Or even Spanish, seeing as I now relate closely to Spain too

I have absolutely no idea how this can be rectified.

Before, Nigeria was a country in Africa.

Now, it is scammer city.

Yet, it just takes a few to ruin a reputation.

Things will change, because people have short memories.

10. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

A hub feedback I got today:

heloooo;;;; my name is michelle i have seven kids am disabled i get one income thank god for that so i can pay my bills i realy love the hoildays i want to put a smile on my kids face and give theme a chrismas i have a bad back two disk and am a dingal mom i have three boys ages 16. 8 months 10 and girls ages are 15.14.12.8 god bless you can call me on my cell702=782=8860

Needless to say, I haven't called "michelle"...

1. Drive-by Quipper profile image58
      Drive-by Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Heartless!

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hanging my head in deep, deep shame.

2. Pearldiver profile image66

Heartless Man!!!  sad

Send her a Fish!!

I should, huh?  The only problem is that none of them ever seem to give their address, or even the country they are in.

I wonder why not?  It would make things so much easier...

3. incomeguru profile image96
      incomeguruposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do they think we are that stupid as they are?

1. IzzyM profile image87

No, no-one thinks the scammers are stupid, and no-one thinks Nigerians are stupid.

What we have is a group of people whose English is seriously flawed to put it mildly, aiming letters (emails) towards people who either spot the errors right away, or don't.

Those that know it is a scam, ignore it. Those that think it is genuine, are uneducated and/or can't spell, may respond.

Native English speakers can still understand badly written English.

We have five types here:

1) Those who understand and know it is a scam
        2) Those who understand and do not know it is a scam
        3) Those who do not understand and would not understand if it hit them on the head.
        4) Those who do not understand what is being asked of them, but want to help.
        5) Those who do understand, and who believe what is being said, and want to help.

We also have the sixth type - those who understand what is being asked of them, but would not help in any case.

So no, the world does not think you are stupid. The world is stupid.

Looking at the above figure, if you were able to mine email addresses. and could get to some of the 6 billion people or whatever our global number is now, then divide by 6, 7, 8 whatever figure you think makes a reasonable response, you could earn millions too.

Right I am off to compose a poverty email.

Be sure to use your real face, up there on your avatar.  It should help a great deal.

Just please don't send me a letter - I gave all I had to michelle and would feel really bad that I helped her but not you.

11. LeanMan profile image80

currently digging a gold mine in my back garden but need some investors to buy in.. if anyone wants to buy into this project just let me know.. big returns on your investments guaranteed.. lol

Crowd Funding is what you need mate!
      I'll PM you the names of a few fundraising girls from ummm.... ummm.... arghhhh.... Africa!  lol
      Just send your CC details and they'll fill your garden hole in with more than carrots!  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)