Should Christians Celebrate Christmas?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Greg Sereda profile image68
    Greg Seredaposted 11 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7447397_f248.jpg
    With so many elements of Christmas being distinctly pagan:

Dec. 25 - Birthday of the Pagan Sun God, Mithra
    Christmas Tree - Pagan Idol
    Santa Clause - A lie and anti-christ in every sense of the word

Should Christians celebrate Christmas?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Santa Claus is the anti-christ? I think you got the letter order mixed up.

Greg Seredaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How so?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Santa is not Satan...

The term anti-christ applies to everyone that either is against Christ or takes the place of Christ in some way. The Bible speaks of many anti-christs. Santa Clause falls in that category.

1. Repairguy47 profile image60
              Repairguy47posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Where is poor old Santa claiming to be Christ?

They're both eternal.
                The're both all-knowing.
                Their arrival is a mystery.

And it goes on. I include a more comprehensive list in a hub I wrote abot the topic, recently. And a cite a source at the bottom of my hub with a list of 25 points in which they're similar.

2. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would think that virtually everyone in the free world knows that Jesus wasn't born on December 25.  That being said, He was born.  That is what Christians celebrate on Christmas.  If it would make things easier for you, perhaps we could celebrate it on June 16.  Ultimately, one day, Jesus was born.  We don't know what day that was precisely, but we choose to celebrate his birth on December 25.

Many Pagan symbols and traditions have been 'baptized' over time.  Co-opted by Christians, if you will, to celebrate important events in the life of Christ.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Should we??  you ask?

We should, we do, we will, always celebrate Christmas.   You should know that a tree and a specific date and etc. are not the basis for celebrating Christmas anyway.  The birth of Jesus CHRIST is what we celebrate.
      You can question whatever you want.   But our answer remains the same always.

It's as if you're speaking for the whole of Christendom... But did you know that Jesus was not born on Dec. 25?

2. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good for you, Brenda.  Early causes for a celebration on (or about) Dec. 25 varied from the winter solstice, the end of the harvest season, the birth of Mithra, the beginning of the sun's return and others.  In terms of Christianity the date and celebration were created purely to encourage pagans to convert to Christianity.

Today the reason may be from a month of profits from rabid consumerism, a day of family togetherness, the birth of Christ, or just getting gifts if you are a small child.  People celebrate by putting up decorations, sticking a tree in their living room, shopping, giving or by a day of prayer as well as other methods.

Why or how you celebrate doesn't matter.  Dec. 25 is almost universally considered a day of love, of sharing and giving, and of family among all celebrants and is worthy of continuation simply because of that.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Santa CLAUS does not replace anyone. It is a harmless fiction that makes many children very happy.
    Besides, he is based on St. Nicholas.

St. Nicholas is a fictional character; and when you place more emphasis on Santa than Jesus, as most families do during Christmas, he replaces Jesus. I recently wrote a hub touching on this.

3. Janellegems profile image59
    Janellegemsposted 11 years ago

A church I went to in Georgia a few years ago shared the knowledge of history of December 25th and the christmas tree and it became a revelation and it changed my opinion of Christmas.  I wondered if December 25th appropriate for celebrating the birth of Christ.  I also stopped putting up a christmas tree, because I do believe it is an idol and santa clause has taken the place of christ.   The only decorations I put up are the nativity sets and lights outside my home.  I think some christians, ministers and churches are not knowledgeable about what took place on December 25th.  If they fully were aware and embrace the history behind the date, maybe their opinions and views of celebrating Christ's birth on this date might change.

Praise God!

4. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years ago

I think I will just stick to peace and goodwill to all persons.

5. ThompsonPen profile image65
    ThompsonPenposted 11 years ago

I like this question. It's true. Santa is some what of a false idol. As a public figure, I think he works very nicely. but when you start breaking it down into proper Christianity, Santa is not Christ, and is thus taking away from his glory, and it is he who is to be celebrated.
    That being said, yes, the Christmas date was set due to wanting to sway pagans to Christianity. Just like Easter is a mocking version of Oestera, the Spring celebration of fertility and the blossoming of the land for pagans.
    I think that Christmas should be celebrated, and can be celebrated in the name of Jesus, just without focusing on his birth, and instead focusing on his messages: to love. The key to celebrating this message is not to do it just during this time, but year 'round. Love thy neighbor, love thy parents, love thy deity. Love is the way.
    But as it stands, Christmas hardly seems to be about Love these days for many. It's about the consumerism. Selling products, buying expensive gifts, topping the gifts from last year, having the latest things, Black Friday - and so on. And don't get me started on the music.
    Personally, I'm a bit of a Scruge. I'm not a fan of Christmas because it's gotten away from its true meaning. I get sucked into and forced to celebrate it every year. I just want to be around people, I don't want to feel pressured into buying things for every one.
    I'm getting off topic.
    I think that if Christians are going to keep love in their heart then they are celebrating it as Jesus would have wanted them to, regardless of the date. I think as long as every day is celebrated with love that Jesus's message will have been received unto the world.
    And that does mean every one. Loving every one.

That is the best reply I have seen in this forum so far. God bless you for your comment!

1. ThompsonPen profile image65
        ThompsonPenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why, thank you smile

6. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Everyone celebrates Christmas in their own way. You have no right to tell anyone they are celebrating "wrong".  You don't have to buy into the crass commercialization of the holiday, which is a lot worse in the US than even Canada.  Christmas really is what you make it for yourself.

As far as I know, it's possible to believe in Jesus and Santa Claus at the same time.

Actually, St. Nicholas did exist. There is more proof of his existence than of Jesus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas

Even Scrooge believed in Christmas in the end...

Fist of all, I never told anyone they are celebrating Christmas "wrong". I just stated some facts about it. I'm sorry if they inconvenienced you. Second of all, even if I wanted to tell they people they are celebrating it "wrong", I do have that right; because I have a voice and I have every right to speak my opinions.

About Santa Clause being Saint Nicholas. If you do some more research, you will discover that everything we know about Saint Nicholas is derived from myth and legend. His name doesn't even appear in any documents from the era in which he supposedly lived. Here's a couple of links to help you:

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Nicholas_of_Myra

http://lnstar.com/mall/main-areas/santafaq.htm

I'm sorry that you have more faith in Santa Clause than in Jesus Christ. I don't! With that being said. Merry Christmas! smile

1. wilderness profile image94

The catholic encyclopedia has mention of St. Nicholas, from the 4th century.  Considering the time period, he is fairly well documented in church writings, and the encyclopedia even has small mention of the connection to Santa.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11063b.htm

I just clicked the link you provided to see how well documented he was, and this is what it said: "...there is scarcely anything historically certain about him except that he was Bishop of Myra in the fourth century."

1. wilderness profile image94

That is correct - he was mentioned in documents.  Very little else is actually known, but he was mentioned.

That doesn't mean, however, that he is not the basis for the myth of Santa.  Myths often have roots in fact even those roots are nothing like reality.  The church made Nicholas into a saint, stories grew (true or not) and the myth began.  Later additions include Rudolph, the north pole, toys and so on which had nothing to do with Nicholas's life, but that's what myths do.

Don't get my wrong. He was mentioned in documents; but according to what I have read, those documents date to the 9th cent. not to the 4th cent., when he was supposed to be Bishop. And most of those documents are full of myths and legends.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I didn't say that.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I know this is petty but it is Santa Claus... there is no e... that is the title of a stupid movie.

You're right. I guess I should have double checked that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)