Internet usage by gigabyte?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (16 posts)
  1. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

I am trying to find a decent high speed internet service in my area. It seems that the only ones that offer service where I am located, sell internet by the gigabyte, and not by monthly use. I'm just curious about how a person would know how many gigabytes of internet they are using in a month.

With these plans you don't get much usage. 30 Gigabytes is $30.00 a month, and you have to get a 2 year contract on top of that. I think the highest was 100 at $79.00 a month. It seems to me if you spent a lot of time on the internet, or spent any time watching youtube, you would go through that pretty quick.
    I have a gigabyte card for my camera, and it fills up pretty quick.

Does anyone know how that works? I would like to have a monthly plan with unlimited use, but there are no companies in my area that offer that. It seems to me, it's a huge rip off, and these companies that sell by the gig, are probably the same ones that sell regular service. But, are too cheap to move their services to rural areas. 

Any help would be appreciated I'm sick of dial up!

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

30 Gigabytes is plenty unless you are downloading full length movies every other day!

My last contract only gave me 5 Gigs a month at full speed, then they cut my speed down to dial-up if I went over that. I still managed to go through 10 or 15 a month.

The 'unlimited' internet I have now is not really unlimited at all. The small print carries a 'fair use' policy limiting users to 50 Gigs a month, but that is more than enough for the two internet users in this house.

Check what your new contract sets out to do if you go over your limit.

Some providers cut your speed, others charge you extortionate rates.

If it is the latter, I strongly suggest you get a program like Netmeter to record your bandwidth (up and down), so that you always know at a glance what you have used in the month, and what you have left.

You can get Netmeter free from Hoo Technologies on trial. http://www.hootech.com/NetMeter/

It only costs $25 to buy, but can save you much more than that.

Oh and don't compare internet usage with your camera. Digital photo files are massive! That is why they have to be cut down for use on the web.

brimancandyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What about watching movies online or youtube videos? It seems like that would eat up a lot of gigs. Thanks for the info though. I'll have to explore it a little more. I just don't want to get ripped off, If I can get unlimited for around the same price. Comcast never charged us any extra fees, and we watched movies almost every day, with unlimited use.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Watching movies online will eat up your allowance. Youtube videos less so, as they are much smaller files.

Think about it, a full length movie is about 800mb, higher if it is in HD, so you could still watch about 30 movies (one a day) and still have a  little left over for surfing. That 800mb is to download them, I assume watching them online will use roughly the same.

Honestly, 30Gigs for only $30 a month, is good.

I paid about $60 a month for 5!

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is the "unanimous" opinion of the internet that Hughes Satellite sucks.

But, if you're desperate, and it's an at will contract, and there's no ridiculous fees, and everything else seems OK; maybe check them out. sad

I have talked to people who have Hughes, and they say it's not good at all. A few friends of mine have something called a Verizon "Air Card" but, I am getting conflicting reports of what that is all about. But, the people who have the air card are former Hughes customers.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
          paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've never heard of their Air Card, but I have a good opinion of Verizon!

2. A Driveby Quipper profile image56
    A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years ago

McDonald's

The nearest McDonalds to us is 25 miles away, and they do not have internet access. The only places that do are the public libraries, and there are only 3 in my area. One 11 miles away in white cloud, the other two are in Big Rapids, which is 25 miles away. May be more locations in Big Rapids, but that's a long drive just to use the internet.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Have you thought about getting a long range wifi adapter, to bring those distant free hotspots to your door, instead of you having to go there?

http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036H-Upg … B000QYGNKQ

The range is normally 2 or 3 miles, but some people have reported a range of 20 - 30 miles.

Don't think there would be anything close enough to me for that. But It sounds interesting. I'll check that out too! Thanks!

But, don't you have to have a special code to access the free spots?

1. IzzyM profile image87

Yes but you usually only need to visit them once to get your computer logged on. Then it will automatically reconnect if within range.

Of course you do need a laptop computer, not a desktop.

2. brimancandy profile image79

Do you need a wireless modem to use this product? Or does it have a built in modem? Checked the link, and it doesn't mention it. My computer doesn't have an internal modem. I should mention that my computer is a desktop.

1. IzzyM profile image87

No you don't need a modem, it tunes into your wireless card.

I am using one right now in order to pick up the wireless router which is at the far side of the house through thick walls.

I can see several wireless connections coming from other houses, some more than a mile away. They are all encrypted.

I can also see the one from my local library, but I do not know the password. I could go and ask, but don't need to as I have internet here already.

2. A Driveby Quipper profile image56
        A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Smoke signals? Carrier pigeon?

3. andromida profile image55
    andromidaposted 11 years ago

You can try out bandwidth meter to keep track of your bandwidth usage.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)